Author Topic: Idea for dealing with Impact Physics  (Read 4323 times)

Offline chrislocke2000 (OP)

• Captain
  • c
Idea for dealing with Impact Physics
« on: July 03, 2012, 04:46:16 PM »
Hey all

Have been musing a little bit this evening on how the game mechanics might be tweaked to deal with the issue of just how much damage can be inflicted when you have fleets with high closing speeds / fast moving fleets against planets and stations.

The basic idea is to change the shields from all purpose damage absorbers to gravity effect shields. Its more handwaivum I know but not much of a change compared to shields in general. Technobable something along the lines that they are an evolution of tractor tech but work as a repulsor instead. The shields would create a repulsion field around the ship and depending on the strength of the shield generators they would cause incomming mass to be deflected away from the ship at greater distances and angles but more importantly this effect would increase as the energy of the incomming object increased. As a result of this tech you would have a better chance of hitting the ships with lower velocity weapons. You might also tweak this to consider feedback into the ships hull from deflections which means the ships would not get off scott free from what would have been a hit.

Importantly they also only effect mass so lasers and stand off nukes etc would basically ignore the shields whilst low mass plasma guns would see a far lower negative effect compared to slugs. This then gives a real rock papers scissors approach to defence and offence and when scaled up to planets and ship yards etc it makes drive by halocausts a lot harder as you have to send in your weapons at a far lower velocity.

Thoughts?

Offline UnLimiTeD

• Vice Admiral
  • U
Re: Idea for dealing with Impact Physics
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2012, 05:39:50 AM »
Drive-By Nuclear Holocaust would be done with Nuke MIRVs
The main problem I see here is that you change the system from being specifically good against Lasers to being specifically good against kinetics; Thats a difference, but it'll be hard to quantify what is better.

Though I'd definitely like different kinds of shields (just as armor) to specialize ships according to the enemy.

Offline deoved

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • d
Re: Idea for dealing with Impact Physics
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2012, 05:07:48 AM »
Remembers me of a Herbert's Dune kinetic shields (Holtzman Effect)  :-X