Author Topic: Quick question about survey buoys  (Read 1446 times)

Offline mover005 (OP)

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • m
Quick question about survey buoys
« on: January 17, 2010, 02:27:38 AM »
Just found this gem of a game 2 days ago and find it very interesting and gratifying to figure things out.

One thing though I didn't manage to do till now is the following... I managed to stick geo-survey buoys onto missiles, also managed to figure out how to shoot missiles at waypoints from PDCs... my question is the following: Is it possible to shoot buoys into orbit of other planets from missile bases? We're kinda doing this already irl and this game seems so deep that I can't imagine it isn't possible somehow here. I think I'm missing something easy.

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
Re: Quick question about survey buoys
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2010, 02:36:39 PM »
Assuming your missile fire control has the range to see the planet, and your missiles' first stage has the range to reach it, sure.

. . . Unless the "Task Groups containing PDCs may not be assigned orders" restriction prevents it.  I don't see why you can't fire bouys from the individual units (F6) screen.

Offline mover005 (OP)

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • m
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2010, 10:54:12 PM »
On the individual orders screen I only seem to be able to target the set waypoint. When I set the waypoint on the planet, the rocket shoots fine and launches the buoy when it arrives, but the buoy just ends up uselessly in space, and not in the orbit around the target planet.

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2010, 03:29:12 PM »
Quote from: "mover005"
On the individual orders screen I only seem to be able to target the set waypoint. When I set the waypoint on the planet, the rocket shoots fine and launches the buoy when it arrives, but the buoy just ends up uselessly in space, and not in the orbit around the target planet.
Instead of creating a waypoint using the Add button, select the planet so it is centered in the window and then press the Last button. This will create a waypoint on the last thing you selected. If this is a planet, the waypoint will move with the planet so the missile arrives in the right place.

Steve

Offline Beersatron

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2010, 03:38:24 PM »
Quote from: "Steve Walmsley"
Instead of creating a waypoint using the Add button, select the planet so it is centered in the window and then press the Last button. This will create a waypoint on the last thing you selected. If this is a planet, the waypoint will move with the planet so the missile arrives in the right place.

Steve

Oh!! I presume that this works if your survey ships detect an alien thermal/em signature on a planet/moon and you waypoint it like above? So, when your survey ships moves away (or gets blow up!) you can still come back in a few years time and know what moon it was because the WP moved with it?

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2010, 04:32:14 PM »
Quote from: "Beersatron"
Quote from: "Steve Walmsley"

Steve

Oh!! I presume that this works if your survey ships detect an alien thermal/em signature on a planet/moon and you waypoint it like above? So, when your survey ships moves away (or gets blow up!) you can still come back in a few years time and know what moon it was because the WP moved with it?
Yes, that will work too

Steve

Offline mover005 (OP)

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • m
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2010, 06:19:02 PM »
Thanks for the answer. :) Well this worked in a way that the Survey buoy followed the planet around, but didn't do any surveying. The design window tells me that the buoy has a runtime for exactly a year, collecting about 800 geo survey points, I guess that should be more than enough for luna. They also work when used from a ship. Guess it just doesn't work with missile bases right now.

Offline mover005 (OP)

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • m
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2010, 06:37:33 PM »
Please disregard my last post, actually the moon got surveyed, It just had no minerals, I looked at it wrong. My fault. Yay!