Author Topic: Have I read about these?  (Read 1112 times)

Offline Lafe Sparhawk (OP)

• Petty Officer
  • L
Have I read about these?
« on: January 19, 2010, 10:51:28 PM »
LP1 and LP2 in orbit paths of two different planets. To tell you the truth I've sifted through so much I've no idea if I've come across info or not concerning points labeled "LP". From what I can discern they are similar to jump points, they have the same color, similar abreviation.  :?
Any insights?

Lafe

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
Re: Have I read about these?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2010, 10:57:49 PM »
LP are Lagrange Points. They occur around gas giants, and act as in-system jump points.

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2010, 11:21:12 PM »
Quote from: "Erik Luken"
LP are Lagrange Points. They occur around gas giants, and act as in-system jump points.

And are why hyperdrives are not nearly as useful as they used to be.  Useful LPs are those which occur both in a primary and a distant companion that would take a year to travel to conventionally.  Hyperdrive allows 10x speed outside the hyperlimit (which can be displayed by checking a box in the F3 screen).  You'll see LPs as targets for move orders in the F12 screen - selecting one brings up a sub-dialog which lets you pick another LP in the system to jump to.

Note that a lot of systems have non- (or marginally-)useful LPs - only 1, or 2 or more around the same primary.

John

Offline Lafe Sparhawk (OP)

• Petty Officer
  • L
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2010, 12:12:27 AM »
Thank you for explaining about Lagrange Points. Of course after familiarizing myself with the mechanics of the phenomena I wonder where my confusion started. Maybe I just wasn't seeing them in the "system locations available" box.

Lafe