Author Topic: Remote Survey  (Read 1399 times)

Offline Canaris (OP)

• Petty Officer
Remote Survey
« on: January 20, 2010, 07:40:28 AM »
Well, since none of the answers I can find seem to explain this in the level of detail I require, I'll make a new thread.

I want to take a slightly more realistic approach to exploration of the planets in my system.

First, I designed a sensor buoy, then I designed a missile with enough range to explore much of the system with the buoy as the second stage.

When I use the 'Launch Missiles at' command, I discovered the ship just goes to Luna and dumps a missile, which then self-destructs as it has no sensors and no target.

Here's what I'm trying to accomplish: the design and use of a 'base' that can launch missiles which travel to distant targets and then separate, leaving the buoy in orbit.

I tried using waypoints, but that doesn't allow me to fire things into the orbits of other planets.

Am I stuck sending a ship to every planet I wish to survey? Or is there a way to use missiles to remotely survey planets? Is that what drones are for? They don't seem to do anything.
"Fairytales do not tell children that monsters exist, children already know they exist. Fairytales tell children that monsters can be killed."

Offline Beersatron

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
Re: Remote Survey
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2010, 09:08:25 AM »
Quote from: "Canaris"
Well, since none of the answers I can find seem to explain this in the level of detail I require, I'll make a new thread.

I want to take a slightly more realistic approach to exploration of the planets in my system.

First, I designed a sensor buoy, then I designed a missile with enough range to explore much of the system with the buoy as the second stage.

When I use the 'Launch Missiles at' command, I discovered the ship just goes to Luna and dumps a missile, which then self-destructs as it has no sensors and no target.

Here's what I'm trying to accomplish: the design and use of a 'base' that can launch missiles which travel to distant targets and then separate, leaving the buoy in orbit.

I tried using waypoints, but that doesn't allow me to fire things into the orbits of other planets.

Am I stuck sending a ship to every planet I wish to survey? Or is there a way to use missiles to remotely survey planets? Is that what drones are for? They don't seem to do anything.

Yes, this is what drones are for but alas there is an issue with drones atm because Steve lost his work on them due to a database corruption and it wasn't fully redone for v4.8. Drones are scheduled to be fully implemented in v4.9 and they are designed to have the extended range that you are looking for.

There is another active thread that has a discussion on this topic too, if I come across it again I will try to remember and link to it.

The other thread details the way to apply a WP to an orbital body that is moving, so the WP moves with it and when you launch the missile at the WP it will track correctly. I can not remember specifics though.

Offline Canaris (OP)

• Petty Officer
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2010, 09:10:55 AM »
Quote from: "Beersatron"

The other thread details the way to apply a WP to an orbital body that is moving, so the WP moves with it and when you launch the missile at the WP it will track correctly. I can not remember specifics though.

That sounds alot like what I'm looking for - I'll do a search about waypoints for a bit.
"Fairytales do not tell children that monsters exist, children already know they exist. Fairytales tell children that monsters can be killed."

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2010, 09:18:27 AM »

There should be a "currently selected" option in the "add waypoint" selector on the System Map (F3) screen.  So you click on the body or ship you want a waypoint on, then add the waypoint for "currently selected".  The waypoint should move with the object.

IIRC.

John

Offline Canaris (OP)

• Petty Officer
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2010, 09:28:16 AM »
Quote from: "sloanjh"

There should be a "currently selected" option in the "add waypoint" selector on the System Map (F3) screen.  So you click on the body or ship you want a waypoint on, then add the waypoint for "currently selected".  The waypoint should move with the object.

IIRC.

John

I'm not seeing anything like that anywhere.

Is it on the 'Waypoints' tab?

EDIT: Disregard - I found it during a search. Steve explained it. Using the 'Last' button will assign a WP to the last body you clicked/selected.

Offline Canaris (OP)

• Petty Officer
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2010, 11:35:01 AM »
Sorry for the double post. Got another issue I can't get my head around. I'll tell you, this game makes me feel stupid sometimes. Lol

Thanks to all the help everyone's given me, I successfully made a two-stage missile which dropped a buoy in orbit around Luna! Hurray!

But it's not surveying anything and I did give it 2 geo sensor points. What could I be doing wrong?

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2010, 09:49:26 AM »
Sorry for the double post. Got another issue I can't get my head around. I'll tell you, this game makes me feel stupid sometimes. Lol

Thanks to all the help everyone's given me, I successfully made a two-stage missile which dropped a buoy in orbit around Luna! Hurray!

But it's not surveying anything and I did give it 2 geo sensor points. What could I be doing wrong?
You will get the information once the survey is complete but I don't think there is any visible sign of porgress

Steve