Author Topic: What's going on in your empire/planet/battlefield?  (Read 263779 times)

Offline Marski

• Commander
Re: What's going on in your empire/planet/battlefield?
« Reply #435 on: November 30, 2012, 01:26:02 AM »
Wow, only a slice of advice for everybody, never use the Chinese Theme, a wormhole just popped up less than 600m km from my capital, and every other time I used this theme (around 2 times) something really bad happpened, usually early on just like now, so it's best to avoid it unless you like extreme pain and lots of glassed worlds. I heard this theme is cursed somehow, maybe it's true.

Either you are making horrible mistakes or you are just unlucky, I had two succesfull runs with Chinese theme and had actually less trouble than say, with Russia or United Nations for that matter.

Offline Xkill

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #436 on: November 30, 2012, 03:17:02 PM »
Either you are making horrible mistakes or you are just unlucky, I had two succesfull runs with Chinese theme and had actually less trouble than say, with Russia or United Nations for that matter.

Well, maybe I'm just unlucky, though the Chinese (and apparently the Martians in Steve's new game) almost always end up getting stomped by someone. The first time that I played with the Chinese theme, the Star Swarm blocked up my only avenue of exploration with hundreds of FACS.

The second time, the Invaders steamrolled my NPR neighbour in 4 hours with only 2 ships, then they glassed me. Now I got wasted again and didn't even have a chance to fight back since I had just started expansion at the time. I'll try again, but personally, I don't think it's gonna get pretty for me.

Offline Marski

• Commander
« Reply #437 on: November 30, 2012, 05:43:42 PM »
Well, maybe I'm just unlucky, though the Chinese (and apparently the Martians in Steve's new game) almost always end up getting stomped by someone. The first time that I played with the Chinese theme, the Star Swarm blocked up my only avenue of exploration with hundreds of FACS.

The second time, the Invaders steamrolled my NPR neighbour in 4 hours with only 2 ships, then they glassed me. Now I got wasted again and didn't even have a chance to fight back since I had just started expansion at the time. I'll try again, but personally, I don't think it's gonna get pretty for me.

Wow man, you never enable the invaders from the start. Nobody has the tech to stop them, you leave them to be enabled in lategame when you have somewhat decent empire.

Offline niflheimr

• Lieutenant
  • n
« Reply #438 on: December 03, 2012, 08:48:44 AM »

Offline Icecoon

• Lieutenant
« Reply #439 on: December 11, 2012, 11:01:45 AM »
What the heck. I have found out, that one of my officers has a promotion score of 250239 and 1000% fighter combat bonus.
New Honor Harrington rising. :)
If it's stupid but it works, it isn't stupid.

If fire fighters fight fire and crime fighters fight crime, what do freedom fighters fight?

Offline Shininglight

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • S
« Reply #440 on: December 11, 2012, 11:25:59 AM »
*jaw beaks* after reading the last post.
Admiral Damien James Winter, Defender of the Proxima Gate.

Offline Icecoon

• Lieutenant
« Reply #441 on: December 11, 2012, 11:45:36 AM »
*jaw beaks* after reading the last post.

Maybe its a bug.  ???  ;D

If fire fighters fight fire and crime fighters fight crime, what do freedom fighters fight?

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #442 on: December 11, 2012, 01:14:35 PM »
What the heck. I have found out, that one of my officers has a promotion score of 250239 and 1000% fighter combat bonus.
New Honor Harrington rising. :)

Yes, I have fixed the fight combat bonus bug for the next version :)

Steve

Offline Icecoon

• Lieutenant
« Reply #443 on: December 11, 2012, 01:21:10 PM »

That looks like a swarm queen from Aurora. :)

Offline Jackal Cry

• Petty Officer
  • J
« Reply #444 on: February 09, 2013, 09:00:56 PM »

I started my first game in Aurora v6.  21.   I played in v5.  7 but stopped for a few months.   The settings are mostly the same as the default Space 1899 game, with some spoiler races disabled and my government type changed to Authoritarian.   I set the starting year to 1 so I could keep better track of time.   I turned on Real Stars for the first time and am impressed with it.   It's sad to hear that black holes aren't implemented in it.  

My Sol had 3 JPs, but I've only explored extrasolar systems.   I had a lot of early problems with fuel; it used to be that 500,000 litres could take me to the galactic center and back with enough to make a stop at Space McDonald's on the way.   I've lost a lot of early freighters and survey ships to fuel problems, as well as tankers who wouldn't have enough fuel themselves to refuel a fleet and make it back home.   I'm still having fuel issues, but that's not my biggest worry now.  

I found an NPR two jumps from Sol.   They had contacts waiting right by the jump point, and it took about 20 seconds for my unarmed and sensorless scout to get back through the jump point.   Thankfully they were neutral, and after assigning a diplomatic team to the race, our relations are good.   I think.   Is +169 relations good? The number is growing quickly as my diplomatic team quickly gained a lot of skill.  

My geo teams were horrible, though.   They would find nothing on several good mining asteroids and were just worthless.   I now finally have a team with a skill higher than a hundred, so hopefully they can pick up the slack.  

The final main issue are my scientists.   I have a lot of good scientists, but almost all of them are focused either in Biology, P&P, or Logistics.   Curse them! I need Construction scientists, not more P&P.   I'll never have enough research labs to approach their maximum limits either.  

I'm currently trying to find good sources of Duranium.   The best long-term source is a low-availability planet in the buffer system between the NPR and myself.   It has a colony cost of only x0.  77, but millions of various ores.   Sadly I'll just have to deal with the poor availability unless my now-competent geo teams can find something on Sol.  

Does anyone know why this forum insists on automatically adding spaces after each period I enter, after I preview or submit my post? This happened the last time I posted too, and I think it's messing up my image.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 11:46:26 PM by Erik Luken »

Offline Conscript Gary

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #445 on: February 09, 2013, 11:32:09 PM »
It happens to users with less than a certain number of posts to keep them from posting links, in case of spambot.

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #446 on: February 09, 2013, 11:48:30 PM »
Does anyone know why this forum insists on automatically adding spaces after each period I enter, after I preview or submit my post? This happened the last time I posted too, and I think it's messing up my image.

As Gary said, it is a spam prevention measure. After 10 posts the restriction is lifted.

Offline sublight

• Pulsar 4x Dev
  • Captain
  • s
« Reply #447 on: February 10, 2013, 08:42:49 AM »
My geo teams were horrible, though.   They would find nothing on several good mining asteroids and were just worthless.   I now finally have a team with a skill higher than a hundred, so hopefully they can pick up the slack.   

If I understand the new mechanics correctly, a higher skill allows them to finish surveys faster but does not improve the probability of finding something. When a geology team finishes a survey, Aurora rolls a new mineral generation check, and if replaces the original findings with any accessibility or quantity results from the new whenever any new result that is better than the old.

In theory surveying every body in a system will nearly double the minerals in a system, but this is more finding twice as many locations with minerals and less making existing minerals twice as rich. Surveying only good asteroids is a bit like playing the lottery. It feels like less than 5% of asteroids have minerals, so the odds that a good asteroid find will get lucky again (~5%) is small. I've had somewhat better luck sending geologists to planets and moons that had low colonization costs to provide a second opinions.

The new system is more realistic than the 5.x days when high-ranked team could milk bucketfuls of minerals from any object, but is less useful for the player.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 08:50:28 AM by sublight »

Offline Tarran

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
« Reply #448 on: February 11, 2013, 08:34:05 PM »
Recently had to axe 4 systems and their inhabitants because I was getting interrupts every day or so. Apparently my civilians in their infinite wisdom were trying to get to Luna from Sol by going through three other systems in a circle. Somehow, there were bad guys in one of the three, even though I did 100% surveys of all 3 with Active Sensors on, and I guess they were detecting the civilians.

Time to regen those systems, hopefully with less stupid civilian pathing and stupid random hidden bases.

Offline ollobrains

• Commander
  • o
« Reply #449 on: February 11, 2013, 09:56:27 PM »
Tarran i think steve has fixed this in the 6.3 patch he just hasnt given birth to it yet soon hopefully