Author Topic: Semi-Official 7.x Suggestion Thread  (Read 168329 times)

Offline SpikeTheHobbitMage

• Bug Moderators
  • Commodore
  • S
Re: Semi-Official 7.x Suggestion Thread
« Reply #810 on: July 24, 2018, 09:53:50 PM »
As instructed:

One of the main issues I've been finding with beam ships is that continuously scaling costs for more advanced beam fire controls as tech advances. With that in mind, I'd like to propose that its costs only scale with the multipliers applied to it, the tech advances being "free" bonuses.

In further thoughts: What I'd envision to make beam FCs better: Higher base cost to compensate a bit the non-escalating costs. "Sliding" values for range and speed instead of fixed multipliers, allowing for more precise fine control of the values, with a minimum and maximum value. Said value might just be the present 25% and 4x, or it could be set by tech, starting closer to 1 and increasing back to the present possible values (or other values, although that might present some issues with absolute max range due to light speed).
We directly key in tracking speed when designing turrets, so having the same option for FC makes sense.  Selecting tonnage as well and getting a range might be advantageous.

The following users thanked this post: Titanian

Offline QuakeIV

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #811 on: July 25, 2018, 11:13:18 PM »
Having more scalable beam fire controls sounds really fun to me.  Then you can have a long range laser battleship that has some gigantic super expensive fire control, just so it can fight off a 100 tonne harassment fighter from a much more advanced faction.  That sort of hilarity.

Offline Titanian

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • T
« Reply #812 on: July 26, 2018, 06:21:40 AM »
And fire control tracking speed really need a nonlinear scaling factor. Otherwise x4 is always the right choice for turreted pd. All the other settings exept x1.25 get used only very rarely by me, as x1.25 is usefull for railgun pd as it futureproofs the firecontrols for when the next level of fire control speed instantly upgrades all non-turreted weapons. All the other settings I don't really use, as my bfc tracking tech is usually higher than my ship speeds anyway.

Finer granularity would be nice for several settings, especially capacitor recharge. Then one could finally produce 10cm laser with 1.5 recharge rate instead of 2, and so on. Would be especially useful for particle beams with all their odd power requirements.

Offline jwoodward48

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • j
« Reply #813 on: September 23, 2018, 02:21:37 PM »
In the System Information screen, Jupiter is listed as having the same magnetic field strength as Earth.  According to Wikipedia, this should be around 20 times that of Earth.  (Unless I misinterpreted "magnetic field" and it's measuring something different instead. )

(Also, Saturn should be somewhat less than Earth, but the two are listed as having the same magnetic field.  They're close enough that it's tricky, since magnetic field strength varies over the surface of Earth, but Saturn's average is less than the typical minimum for Earth, so it should be something from 0. 32 to 0. 84. )

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #814 on: September 23, 2018, 04:23:37 PM »
In the System Information screen, Jupiter is listed as having the same magnetic field strength as Earth.  According to Wikipedia, this should be around 20 times that of Earth.  (Unless I misinterpreted "magnetic field" and it's measuring something different instead. )

(Also, Saturn should be somewhat less than Earth, but the two are listed as having the same magnetic field.  They're close enough that it's tricky, since magnetic field strength varies over the surface of Earth, but Saturn's average is less than the typical minimum for Earth, so it should be something from 0. 32 to 0. 84. )

Thanks for mentioning. I will update them. At the moment, magnetic field isn't used for any in-game function so the discrepancy hasn't affected anything.

Offline Barkhorn

• Commodore
  • B
« Reply #815 on: October 15, 2018, 06:39:05 PM »
I suggest rethinking tracking speed to account not for the target's velocity, but instead its radial velocity.  A target moving directly towards or away from you has much lower radial velocity than one moving tangentially to you.  If you've ever gone skeet shooting, or defended against air attack in Silent Hunter 3, you'll surely have noticed it's much easier to aim at and hit targets moving directly towards or away from you.  It is also occasionally easier to aim at a target that is farther away than one that is closer, because farther targets will have a lower radial velocity.  A turret may be fast enough to track a target out near max range, but not fast enough to track it at close range.

This I think would provide a welcome buff to FAC's and fighters.  It would mean that turreted beam weapons would have optimal range bands, instead of always being more accurate as distance decreases.  This would mean fighters may be able to get in under the minimum effective range of the main guns, while remaining out of range of defensive armament.

The following users thanked this post: Titanian, ReviewDude01

Offline Jorgen_CAB

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • J
« Reply #816 on: October 15, 2018, 06:49:38 PM »
I suggest rethinking tracking speed to account not for the target's velocity, but instead its radial velocity.  A target moving directly towards or away from you has much lower radial velocity than one moving tangentially to you.  If you've ever gone skeet shooting, or defended against air attack in Silent Hunter 3, you'll surely have noticed it's much easier to aim at and hit targets moving directly towards or away from you.  It is also occasionally easier to aim at a target that is farther away than one that is closer, because farther targets will have a lower radial velocity.  A turret may be fast enough to track a target out near max range, but not fast enough to track it at close range.

This I think would provide a welcome buff to FAC's and fighters.  It would mean that turreted beam weapons would have optimal range bands, instead of always being more accurate as distance decreases.  This would mean fighters may be able to get in under the minimum effective range of the main guns, while remaining out of range of defensive armament.

This would be an interesting addition to the game if easily implemented.

In spirit of this I also think that size should matter in ship to ship combat as well. It should be progressively harder to shoot at a small as oppose to a large target. Big targets should have the armor and shield advantages to take hits from big weapons, small targets should avoid them through size and speed.

The following users thanked this post: Barkhorn

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #817 on: October 16, 2018, 06:48:09 PM »
Shouldn't this thread be closed, since C# Aurora Suggestions thread exists? Or is it still useful to Steve as a sort of filing cabinet of dreams and hopes? :D

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #818 on: October 16, 2018, 06:49:07 PM »
Shouldn't this thread be closed, since C# Aurora Suggestions thread exists? Or is it still useful to Steve as a sort of filing cabinet of dreams and hopes? :D

It should probably be closed in favour of the C# suggestion thread, although I will still work my way through it when I have the time.

Offline SIX10

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • S
« Reply #819 on: December 17, 2018, 07:50:28 PM »
I don't know if this is the place to make the suggestion or if this the "galactic empire" option in the game (i assumed that was Star Wars) but it would be cool to have a Asimov Foundation/Empire theme in the game.  I would be down to make it or help out.

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #820 on: December 18, 2018, 02:50:58 AM »
I don't know if this is the place to make the suggestion or if this the "galactic empire" option in the game (i assumed that was Star Wars) but it would be cool to have a Asimov Foundation/Empire theme in the game.  I would be down to make it or help out.

If you can produce the name lists as text files (one name per line), I will add them to the game.

Offline iceball3

• Captain
« Reply #821 on: December 27, 2018, 02:02:00 AM »
One thing that might be handy to add if it hasn't yet would be a Commander Graveyard, where our commanders and their history are saved to when they go MIA or die, to allow their campaign history, notes, recorded roles, attributes and skills before they died.
Similarly, another handy idea could be the allowance of portraits to be assigned to commanders (on an opt-in basis, as maintaining hundreds more portraits for every species is a bit of unnecessary bloat) as to allow players and GMs alike to add some more flavor to their command structure.

The following users thanked this post: QuakeIV, obsidian_green

Offline QuakeIV

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #822 on: December 27, 2018, 08:56:42 PM »
Also, posthumous promotion/medal awards.

The following users thanked this post: iceball3, obsidian_green

Offline Erik L (OP)

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #823 on: December 27, 2018, 11:34:51 PM »
Also, posthumous promotion/medal awards.

From a gameplay/mechanics standpoint, what effect would that have? Medals currently only affect promotions.

Offline QuakeIV

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #824 on: December 27, 2018, 11:36:50 PM »
Mainly because its partly a roleplaying game, thusly players would probably find that to be an enjoyable thing to do.