Author Topic: Small modification to Ground Combat mechanics  (Read 1286 times)

Offline Steve Walmsley (OP)

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
Small modification to Ground Combat mechanics
« on: August 10, 2010, 08:16:21 PM »
Near the end of the recent battle for Hainan Six in my current campaign, I realised that a tiny surviving Chinese force was holding off a far larger Soviet force for an improbable amount of time. This is because of the way casualties are calculated. Based on the combat ratio, there is a percentage chance for each attacking or defending unit to take casualties. Those casualties (in the form of readiness) are from 1-50%. This is fine in most cases but it means that a single intact battalion could potentially hold off several enemy divisions for a minimum of ten days and probably more like 20-30 days. Therefore I have made the following change for v5.20:

If the chance of a unit taking damage is greater than 100% (based on the combat ratio) then the casualties in terms of readiness are multiplied by the chance of the unit taking damage divided by 100. In other words, if the chance of damage is 250% then any casualties will be 1-50% x 2.5.

Because the chance of destruction will not be in excess of 100% until one side is at a 10-1 disdvantage, this will only affect the end stage of most battles.

Steve

Offline boggo2300

• Registered
  • Rear Admiral
Re: Small modification to Ground Combat mechanics
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2010, 12:39:48 AM »
not a great fan of Spartans then huh?  :wink:
The boggosity of the universe tends towards maximum.

Offline UnLimiTeD

• Vice Admiral
  • U
Re: Small modification to Ground Combat mechanics
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2010, 03:34:39 AM »
Sounds reasonable.
Though I think now the creation of fortifications to influence combat comes closer ;)