Author Topic: Box launcher  (Read 2079 times)

Offline ExChairman (OP)

• Bronze Supporter
  • Commodore
  • E
  • Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter : Support the forums with a Bronze subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
Box launcher
« on: October 05, 2010, 11:39:07 AM »
Is it possible to place several smaller missile in an box launcher?
Ex. 4 Size 1 missiles in an size 4 box launcher
Veni, Vedi, Volvo
"Granström"

Wargame player and Roleplayer for 33 years...

Online welchbloke

• Vice Admiral
Re: Box launcher
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2010, 12:15:57 PM »
Is it possible to place several smaller missile in an box launcher?
Ex. 4 Size 1 missiles in an size 4 box launcher
No, each think of each launcher a tube that can take one missile up to size 4 (in the example you used). 
Welchbloke

Offline Yonder

• Registered
  • Lt. Commander
  • Y
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2010, 02:44:08 PM »
Although you may be able to make a size 4 missile that is nothing other than a stage for the four size 1 missiles.

It's been awhile since I've played though, so I can't remember if subsequent missile stages need separate targeting or can still use the fire control of the ship they came from, but I think that the later is possible.

There is a small chance that you can't make a missile with zero engines and zero fuel, if that's the case then you'd still be able to make a size 4 missile that wrapped three of those size 1 missiles.

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2010, 02:49:00 PM »
Although you may be able to make a size 4 missile that is nothing other than a stage for the four size 1 missiles.

It's been awhile since I've played though, so I can't remember if subsequent missile stages need separate targeting or can still use the fire control of the ship they came from, but I think that the later is possible.

There is a small chance that you can't make a missile with zero engines and zero fuel, if that's the case then you'd still be able to make a size 4 missile that wrapped three of those size 1 missiles.
You can rely on the firing ship for missile guidance, but for me, the idea of a MWM is to extend the range of missiles with submunitions (in addition to swamping the target). This may take the missiles out of fire control range, so I try (as a rule) to make the submunitions with sensors for some terminal guidance.

Offline UnLimiTeD

• Vice Admiral
  • U
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2010, 04:44:00 PM »
I think it would actually be nice to allow a bigger launcher to fire multiple smaller missiles. You gain flexibility, but the reload doesn't get any lower.