Author Topic: Clarifying some aspects of gameplay  (Read 2051 times)

Offline Maul_Junior (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • M
Clarifying some aspects of gameplay
« on: June 10, 2014, 06:11:18 PM »
I haven't *really* started playing Aurora yet, but I've been reading as much as I can about it.    I did have a few questions I thought I would ask concerning various gameplay mechanics.   

Piracy: It seems to me that any attempt at piracy/privateering with the intent to capture their targets would be very risky if the ship were moving more than 1-2k m/s.    Therefore, I'd assume that the best ship design for a dedicated piratical vessel would be microwave-armed vessel with various methods of point defense, with either dedicated assault ships or a carrier that holds several assault shuttles.    This would probably be backed up by a more traditional fleet to defend captured vessels on their way to a more secure location.     Given the rather specialized form of warfare, this would probably target mainly (only?) civilian-type vessels.   

Confirm/Deny?

Ground Troops: According to the wiki, it seems that only the Engineering/Construction brigades have uses outside of combat.    Constructions functioning as a factory, and Engineering to help recover installations.    This is the case, yes? Do Engineering Brigades have any uses outside of recovering installations (ie Trans-Newtonian industry)?

Construction Brigade: Based on my tests, the Combat Engineering Brigade research becomes  available immediately after you research the Assault Company/Brigade tech, but I cannot find what unlocks the Construction brigade.    Is there a prereq in the Construction tree?

Personality Attributes: Am I just missing something on the wiki, or is there no page listing attribute boosts/deficiencies by attribute (a la the government page)?

Terraforming:Will Terraforming automatically take place once facilities/ships are in place, or do I need to know what kinds of gases to use?

Task Force Training Duration: How long does Task Force Training normally take, and is there a way to change the default length? I ask because in a test game I sent a task force on training without realizing that I had set the design for 3 months intended deployment but had given them 6 months+ of fuel.   Cut morale down to half at least, and the TF showed no signs of slowing down or returning to base.   I didn't see a way to cancel task force training.  .  .  .  .  .  just the big black/red bar saying that the task force was undergoing training maneuvers.   I assume that it has somethign to do with the standard/sub-orders? I'm just a big dumb-dumb who didn't see the End Task-Force Training button.   Derp. 

Power Plants: Mainly used for non-missile weapons/shields, correct?

I will probably have more questions that I'll post to this thread as I get more in-depth into Aurora, as I am finishing up testing a few last mechanics on a heavily SMed game and will probably start a newbish AAR on my first non-cheaty game soon
« Last Edit: June 10, 2014, 06:25:48 PM by Maul_Junior »

Offline Haji

• Captain
Re: Clarifying some aspects of gameplay
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2014, 06:28:27 PM »
Piracy: It seems to me that any attempt at piracy/privateering with the intent to capture their targets would be very risky if the ship were moving more than 1-2k m/s.  Therefore, I'd assume that the best ship design for a dedicated piratical vessel would be microwave-armed vessel with various methods of point defense, with either dedicated assault ships or a carrier that holds several assault shuttles.  This would probably be backed up by a more traditional fleet to defend captured vessels on their way to a more secure location.   Given the rather specialized form of warfare, this would probably target mainly (only?) civilian-type vessels.

Confirm/Deny?

As far as I'm aware, no one tried to play as pirates yet. Now, I'm assuming you want microwave to disable the engines, but it works only on fire controls and sensors. To disable engines, you have to shoot at the ship and hope for the best. As far as I understand the mechanics of capturing ships (I haven't tried, but I did read several ARRs) the problem with capturing isn't the speed itself but the speed ratio of an assault shuttle to the speed of the target.

Ground Troops: According to the wiki, it seems that only the Engineering/Construction brigades have uses outside of combat.  Constructions functioning as a factory, and Engineering to help recover installations.  This is the case, yes? Do Engineering Brigades have any uses outside of recovering installations (ie Trans-Newtonian industry)?

Construction Brigade: Based on my tests, the Combat Engineering Brigade research becomes  available immediately after you research the Assault Company/Brigade tech, but I cannot find what unlocks the Construction brigade.  Is there a prereq in the Construction tree?

Back in the day there was only the engineering brigade which counted towards recovery of installations, construction and good defensive bonuses. In recent versions of the game however, the engineering brigade has been split in two. The construction brigade has very poor combat statistics but they can recover installations and serve as an ad hoc construction factories. The Engineering brigade has excellent defensive statistics, but I don't think you can use them for construction/recovery anymore. IIRC the change occurred in the 6.0 version, so if you're playing the older ones (5.x) the construction brigade does not exist. In 6.4 it's unlocked either immediately after researching TN tech, or after garrison battalion, I don't remember exactly.

Personality Attributes: Am I just missing something on the wiki, or is there no page listing attribute boosts/deficiencies by attribute (a la the government page)?

As far as I'm aware, the personality attributes are there purely for role-playing reasons and have no affect on gameplay.

BTW, wiki isn't exactly up to date, not for all articles anyway. If you want to learn about the game you'll probably do better by reading the tutorials or AARs.

Offline Maul_Junior (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • M
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2014, 07:08:48 PM »
Quote from: Haji link=topic=7264.   msg73800#msg73800 date=1402442907
As far as I'm aware, no one tried to play as pirates yet.    Now, I'm assuming you want microwave to disable the engines, but it works only on fire controls and sensors.    To disable engines, you have to shoot at the ship and hope for the best.    As far as I understand the mechanics of capturing ships (I haven't tried, but I did read several ARRs) the problem with capturing isn't the speed itself but the speed ratio of an assault shuttle to the speed of the target.   

Back in the day there was only the engineering brigade which counted towards recovery of installations, construction and good defensive bonuses.    In recent versions of the game however, the engineering brigade has been split in two.    The construction brigade has very poor combat statistics but they can recover installations and serve as an ad hoc construction factories.    The Engineering brigade has excellent defensive statistics, but I don't think you can use them for construction/recovery anymore.    IIRC the change occurred in the 6.   0 version, so if you're playing the older ones (5.   x) the construction brigade does not exist.    In 6.   4 it's unlocked either immediately after researching TN tech, or after garrison battalion, I don't remember exactly.   

Goody.    Time to make my niche.    Oh, and I derped with the Construction brigade because in my test game I was having a research team research it.    Thus I wasn't able to see it on the list of techs that could be Instanted.    >.   < So, yeah, looks like instantly available.   

Theory-crafting Piratical, it seems like preying on civilian ships would be rather easy, if it were the speed differential.   Form up at point blank range, matching speeds, deploy drop troops.   Military would be more difficult, but long-range microwave combined with point-defense energy weapons and missiles for long-range combat seems like it could work on paper.   it certainly seems easier to take *most* ships out of combat rather quickly, even if they could still attempt ramming maneuvers.   I haven't paid too much attention to sensor HTK on player-designed ships in AARs (or NPR ships data discovered via salvage/interrogation/espionage).  .  .  .  .  .  .  . 

Granted, the privateer fleet would probably try to avoid major engagements if possible, and would probably be best served by utilizing stealth technology and/or attacking civilian shipping while a dedicated destructo fleet engages other military forces. 

As far as I'm aware, the personality attributes are there purely for role-playing reasons and have no affect on gameplay.   

BTW, wiki isn't exactly up to date, not for all articles anyway.    If you want to learn about the game you'll probably do better by reading the tutorials or AARs.   

which is what I figured.    I asked about the traits because an AAR I was reading (on the Paradox forums IIRC?) mentioned that he thought the traits had a small impact on gameplay.   
« Last Edit: June 10, 2014, 07:17:00 PM by Maul_Junior »

Offline Haji

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2014, 03:27:31 AM »
Terraforming:Will Terraforming automatically take place once facilities/ships are in place, or do I need to know what kinds of gases to use?

You need to set up everything by hand which is done in "Colony Summary > Environment/GMC". Generally, not counting role-playing, only four gases are used - Oxygen, Nitrogen, Safe Greenhouse Gas, and Anti-Greenhouse gas.

Power Plants: Mainly used for non-missile weapons/shields, correct?

Shields do not require power plants, only fuel. Gauss cannons and CIWS do not require power plants. Mesons, Lasers and railguns do need them. Don't know about other energy weapons, but I rarely use anything else. If you have insufficient power for your ship, you'll get an error during the design process. Also, if a weapon requires capacitor technology during it's design process, it almost certainly uses power plants.

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2014, 04:46:53 PM »
You need to set up everything by hand which is done in "Colony Summary > Environment/GMC". Generally, not counting role-playing, only four gases are used - Oxygen, Nitrogen, Safe Greenhouse Gas, and Anti-Greenhouse gas.

Five, once you enslave some pesky Methane-breathing race.

Offline TallTroll

• Lieutenant
  • T
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2014, 10:07:35 AM »
Five, once you enslave some pesky Methane-breathing race.

Five, once you enslave liberate from 'neath the oppressive boot of self-rule some pesky Methane-breathing race.

/|\
                         |
                         |
                      Fixed