Author Topic: Creating a new empire and commander theme  (Read 2793 times)

Offline Vandermeer (OP)

• Rear Admiral
Creating a new empire and commander theme
« on: June 17, 2014, 10:01:09 AM »
I notice there must have been some era in Aurora development where all the current empire and commander themes must have been made. Creating a custom theme calls for some sort of prepared list of names and such, but the organized framework document where those can be put in is not delivered with the game by default. So I humbly ask: Where do I get them?
I am asking because I was rather disappointed this time with the ancient egypt theme I had chosen. The names are ok, but the commander titles are unworthy. No matter if military or ground forces, they are all named the same, and rather lame as "Lay Priest" and "Governor" for military ranks. Though it is too late for my game by now, I would try to create a SG-1 Goa'uld theme for command ranks, and also check if all the names from the show are included in the current ancient egypt list. Eventually I would do Asgard too, but only if I find more material on their command structure.
playing Aurora as swarm fleet: Zen Nomadic Hive Fantasy

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
Re: Creating a new empire and commander theme
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2014, 10:36:30 AM »
The format is one entry per line. If you click the import theme menu entry, it will tell you what files you need. Though not all at once.

Offline Vandermeer (OP)

• Rear Admiral
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2014, 10:56:33 AM »
But as soon as I type in the theme name it gives me this:

Maybe that is just a bug on version. I previously thought it already searched for those mentioned txt files and then errored because it couldn't find them. Well, if instructions come after this, I will just have to wait until it functions again I guess.

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2014, 11:01:09 AM »
From a discussion page on the wiki:
Under the "Game" menu, there is Add Theme, Add Commander Name Theme, and Add Ship Names

To add a theme, you need three text files in the install directory; System.txt which contains a list of system names, Class.txt which contains a list of class names for ships, and Rank.txt which contains a list of ranks.

Offline Vandermeer (OP)

• Rear Admiral
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2014, 12:14:03 PM »
But that doesn't explain anything! Ok, so there is Add Theme and Add Ship Names, yet no Add Commander Name Theme. But even if it was, how would I set this text document up? Ok, I guess the simple names can just be placed one under another, but how for example would you set up a ranking system. You would somehow have to be able to define what part is for ground-commanders and what for naval, then how many ranks there are in each category, and also in which order the rank-names stand. It cannot possibly be as simple as blandly writing a txt down. ...Well, it could, if I knew if there is some formating template, like e.g. first ten lines ascending for naval ranks, next ten for ground commanders - your choice how many you use. That would solve it all, but I have no idea, so it just isn't possible.

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2014, 01:04:22 PM »
But that doesn't explain anything! Ok, so there is Add Theme and Add Ship Names, yet no Add Commander Name Theme. But even if it was, how would I set this text document up? Ok, I guess the simple names can just be placed one under another, but how for example would you set up a ranking system. You would somehow have to be able to define what part is for ground-commanders and what for naval, then how many ranks there are in each category, and also in which order the rank-names stand. It cannot possibly be as simple as blandly writing a txt down. ...Well, it could, if I knew if there is some formating template, like e.g. first ten lines ascending for naval ranks, next ten for ground commanders - your choice how many you use. That would solve it all, but I have no idea, so it just isn't possible.

I am not sure name themes can be added outside of editing the database.

Offline Vandermeer (OP)

• Rear Admiral
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2014, 03:12:55 PM »
Oh, well, that could set the bar on this. :(

Offline Miar

• Leading Rate
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2014, 04:29:45 AM »
I am not sure if this helps, but in the leaders screen (F4), in the left upper corner is icon "Rename".  I changed my commander titles to star trek style this way. 

Then under races (ctrl+F2) in the lower left corner is section "Secondary commander name themes", where you can mix several name themes and add % for their occurrence. 

The following users thanked this post: Neceros

Offline Vandermeer (OP)

• Rear Admiral
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2014, 10:52:55 PM »
Ohh :o, that actually helped, thanks. Never saw it.