Author Topic: Aurora for mac?  (Read 11860 times)

Offline Hurmdurm

• Petty Officer
  • H
Re: Aurora for mac?
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2013, 11:06:19 AM »
I got a request for information about how I got Aurora running in Mac OS X, so here's what I remember.  I'll try to hit the major points but this won't be a step-by-step explicit "recipe," at least at first - if there are specific questions, I'll try to answer them, and I may come back to provide more detail later.

First of all, I use CrossOver (a commercial front-end for Wine) rather than Wine itself, so the process will look slightly different with Wine.  The broad strokes will probably be the same, but I use CrossOver because in my experience it involves less configuration (and because I got it during giveaway last year. )

You're going to want to start by installing Aurora in a new bottle.  This will follow the usual process - install the latest version that has an installer, apply the patches in order, respond "keep" to any dialogs about duplicating files.  You may hit an error near the end about a missing OCX file; just hit "continue," as the game will run without it and I don't know how to fix it.

When you try to open the system overview window (F9), you may get an error about missing the file MSSTDFMT. DLL.  You should be able to find this file, and how to install it in Wine, via Google.  Restart your bottle and try the F9 window again, and it should work.  (Incidentally, this is not unique to Wine; I had the same experience in Windows 7. )

If you try to advance time and get a slew of Type 13 errors, you need to install dcom98 files so that Wine can run VB applications such as Aurora.  In CrossOver, this is called "Windows OLE components" under Runtime Support Components.  For Wine, I recommend googling around for installation instructions.

Finally, you're likely to encounter a nearly never-ending sequence of Type 424 errors (or an outright program crash) approximately once per game year.  This appears to be related to GameLog functions, but I don't know anything more about what causes it or how to fix it.  Luckily, the program can be force-quit (or the bottle rebooted) and the game can be re-opened and continued without issue.  I recommend frequent backups.

Offline Shininglight (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • S
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2013, 12:21:09 PM »
Thanks a bunch Hurmdum but i seem to be having an issue, i installed the dcom98 on the aurora prefix in wine but i'm still getting type 13 errors. i've got msstdfmt registered and working, but i'm constantly getting tyype13 errors which instantly close the application after they pop up. but it's only when i go into system information that it does this.
Admiral Damien James Winter, Defender of the Proxima Gate.

Offline Karlito

• Chief Petty Officer
  • K
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2013, 04:16:29 PM »
And theres no xcode downloads less than version 4 that i can find. Ans since version 4 is incompatible with snow leopard i seem to be screwed

You can get old versions of Xcode here. You'll need to be registered as an Apple Developer, which I remember being somewhat time consuming and involved, but definitely doable.

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • S
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2013, 06:59:26 PM »
I know, sadly i can never remember my apple id and they haven't gotten around to sending me a password change email. After at least three requests. So the mac developer site seems to be off limits for me.

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • S
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2013, 03:03:33 PM »
Just hit a small problem, my mac runs snow leopard and for some reason theres no xcode already installed. Sadly this means macports isn't working when i try to install wine and winetricks.

And theres no xcode downloads less than version 4 that i can find. Ans since version 4 is incompatible with snow leopard i seem to be screwed

I'm guessing no one can help here.....

Offline sublight

• Pulsar 4x Dev
  • Captain
  • s
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2013, 07:47:00 AM »
If Xcode is the only problem then there should be a copy on your Snow Leopard installation disk under 'optional installs.'

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2013, 01:47:12 PM »
Only thing I know about mac is it goes well with cheese.

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2013, 02:52:38 PM »
Just bought my wife a Macbook with the new retina screen for her birthday. Very nice indeed. I think I have used it more than her :)

I must admit I am tempted to get a desktop Mac but everything I have is windows-based so it would be a massive change,.

Steve

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • S
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2013, 08:13:46 PM »
If Xcode is the only problem then there should be a copy on your Snow Leopard installation disk under 'optional installs.'

I don't have the original disk, the mac i'm using is a gift from a relative of mine who does coding work up in San Francisco. Also thank you for gracing this thread mighty Steve and Erik.

Offline Karlito

• Chief Petty Officer
  • K
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2013, 05:20:45 PM »
You should be able to download xcode.

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • S
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2013, 11:23:01 AM »
Karlito those Xcodes are to high of a version, anything above Xcode 3 i believe doesn't work. At least i think.

Offline Karlito

• Chief Petty Officer
  • K
« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2013, 04:29:39 PM »
Quite right. You can still download the older versions of xcode from somewhere. I've had to do it myself.

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • S
« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2013, 08:33:42 PM »
Yes but you need an apple developer's account or somesuch, I registered but never got the confirmation email.

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2013, 10:02:22 PM »
If y'all get the file, we can put it here.

Offline THmanslayr

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • T
« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2013, 11:42:15 PM »
I've never used Wine before, so I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, but SETUP. exe keeps saying it could not create the directory.