Author Topic: Master of Orion remake by Wargaming.net  (Read 3077 times)

Offline Garfunkel (OP)

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
Master of Orion remake by Wargaming.net
« on: April 26, 2016, 04:22:57 AM »
I got my hands on the Early Access Master of Orion remake by Wargaming.net - it's a curious project for the Russians to take on. Here are my impressions:

1. It's not a carbon copy of MoO. It's actually more like a remake of MoO2 instead of the original, in that you build buildings on planets and have individual ships in combat.

2. It's quite pretty and the music is nice.

3. The interface can occasionally get unresponsive - but I haven't run into any other bugs yet.

4. It's way too easy on 'Normal' difficulty

5. Combat is now real-time with pause but still on a 2D flat plane. You can change formations and issue basic commands. Your ships are dumb enough to waste missiles hitting asteroids, and every battlefield has them for some reason. There isn't much tactical commanding to be done anyway, as it's basically just your ships and enemy ships rushing towards each other.

6. I haven't noticed any features of MoO and MoO2 missing from it yet but it's still early.

Offline 83athom

• Big Ship Commander
  • Vice Admiral
Re: Master of Orion remake by Wargaming.net
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2016, 06:06:46 AM »
I personally don't trust that company. They keep buying up the rights to a lot of gems to cover their losses for other things(*cough* World of Planes *cough*). To me, their only decent game so far has been World of Warships (and maybe World of Tanks if you argue enough) and the others have either been poor quality or basically copies of other games with a new skin.
Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Offline Garfunkel (OP)

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
Re: Master of Orion remake by Wargaming.net
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2016, 04:02:40 PM »
In combat, planetary structures appear in space on the same tactical "map" as ships do - the planet is visible in the background as a low-resolution static image. Yes, this includes missile bases and ground batteries.

Neither planetary bombardment nor ground invasions have any animations, like MoO2 used to have.

I'm currently waging war against the Sakkra who acted fairly reasonably - I colonized a planet next to one of their systems despite them demanding I wouldn't do so. Two turns later they demanded X amount of credits, I refused. Few turns after that, their fleet opened the war with a surprise assault.