Author Topic: Shields  (Read 980 times)

Offline spartacus (OP)

• Petty Officer
  • s
Shields
« on: May 06, 2020, 02:56:20 AM »
I searched shields, (nothing useful came back), and reads the shield generator mechanics entry and it left me with a couple of questions.   

1.   Is there any reason why you wouldn't just keep your shields raised all the time?

2.   This may be a bug I was designing an Alpha shield plain jane, regeneration rate 1, 10 hs so the strength modifier is 100% and the shield strength is 10.   However when I reduce the size to 1, this problem exists with any size reduction, according the size drop down selection the strength modifier is 31. 6% which jibes with the explanation in Steve's shield generator mechanics entry.   If I understand this correctly then the shield strength should now be 3, rounding down to an even number, instead the shield strength is shown as 0.

If anyone knows whether this is a bug let me know and I will repost this in the bug report thread.

Offline Legius

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • L
Re: Shields
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2020, 03:07:55 AM »
Quote from: spartacus link=topic=11295. msg131151#msg131151 date=1588751780
If I understand this correctly then the shield strength should now be 3, rounding down to an even number, instead the shield strength is shown as 0. 

As I understand it the shield strength modifier is per Hull Size.  At your tech level 10 HS is 10 Strength.  If there were to be no modifier on the 1 HS version(In other words if the modifier was always 100%) then it would have a strength of 1.  In this case the modifier is 31. 6% which would result in 0. 316 strength, which is rounded away.

As I understand it anyway.

Offline Conscript Gary

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2020, 03:09:27 AM »
Shields give off a detectable EM signature, so if you want to avoid being spotted that's a reason.

As for your issue, I believe things are working as intended. At size ten, the shield strength is ten because it's 100% of the alpha shield rating (1) times the ten HS, which equals 10. At size one, that's 33% of 1 times 1, which would round down to 0. Basically the size modifier affects shield strength per HS, not total.

Offline spartacus (OP)

• Petty Officer
  • s
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2020, 03:10:31 AM »
Thanks for the info, makes perfect sense and all the values for the various sizes work properly when calculated that way.