Author Topic: Fleets and Task Forces.  (Read 1481 times)

Offline GenJeFT (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
Fleets and Task Forces.
« on: March 26, 2013, 01:32:36 PM »
Hello. 

I just downloaded this game yesterday I and I find it quite interesting so far. 

After doing the guided tutorial I started a new game without the Transnutonian thing just to start from the beginning.   That way I could explore the game slowly as my tech expanded allowing me to see how things worked without a bunch of stuff being thrown at me at once. 

So far its going well, but I am having a problem. 

I cant figure out how to move ships from one taskforce to another.   So I dont know how fleet management works.   Its not a big problem at the moment as I only have 2 1k ton geo survey ships, but I see it being a very large problem in the not so distant future. 

It did take me a while to figure out how to transfer geosurvey teams since the wiki does not exactly explain how to do things very well.   A lot of it is just, "you can do this!" ad not exactly how to do it kinda stuff. 

*EDIT*

I also cant start with a missile base, it causes my game to go into a crash loop for some reason.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 01:51:56 PM by GenJeFT »

Offline metalax

• Commander
  • m
Re: Fleets and Task Forces.
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2013, 02:53:27 PM »
For moving a ship from one taskgroup to another, open the taskgroup screen(F12), select the taskgroup that contains the ship you want to move, select the 'Special Orders / Organisation' tab and you will see the 'move ships between taskgroups' area. Use the dropdown to select the target taskgroup and use the arrows to transfer ships between the taskgroups.

Also just to note taskforce is a distinct thing from taskgroup. A taskforce contains taskgroups which in turn contain individual ships.

The missile bases causing errors has been cropping up for the past few versions and seems to only happen to bases automatically generated as part of a non-transnewtonian start. You can either disable their generation when creating a non-transnewtonian start or using the individual ship details screen(F6) delete all of the automatically generated missile bases and use the fast order of battle(shift + F9) to readd the same number of missile bases.

Offline GenJeFT (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2013, 03:01:12 PM »
Thanks. 

I can now reassign ships in the task forces.   Its a bit counter intuitive. 

Now I am trying to figure out why my geosurvey teams wont work suddenly.   In the tutorial game I was playing they worked great, but this team wont do anything.   Maybe if I move them to Mars instead of Luna. 

Now for the survey teams.  Can I have them survey a planet that has already been surveyed?
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 03:07:40 PM by GenJeFT »

Offline andrea69

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2013, 10:45:10 PM »
Now for the survey teams.  Can I have them survey a planet that has already been surveyed?
First you have to survey a system body with a geo survey ship, then you can send a geosurvey team. After the geosurvey team has completed the job, you cannot discover any new minerals. In this case in F2 window, summary tab, bottom of first column of the right panel, you will see "Geological Team Survey Completed:  Completed".

Offline andrea69

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2013, 10:59:47 PM »
I can now reassign ships in the task forces.   Its a bit counter intuitive. 
You can reassign ships between TG, TF are something else, as metalax said.
Why do you find moving ships between TG counterintuitive? Anyway consider that there are other ways to manage TG, as an example check the buttons on the bottom right of the F12 screen (detach and assemble), and also the possibility to define superior/sub formations from the special orders/organization tab. Defining superior/sub formations gives you the possibility to use ad hoc orders from the task group orders tab.

Offline Paul M

• Vice Admiral
  • P
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2013, 02:55:52 AM »
The time it takes the geosurvey team to do something is dependant on the team's overall survey skill (so if your team has a total value of 50 or so it may take a long time) and some luck.   Plus it seems to be affected by the size of the target you are suveying (asteroids usually give a result faster than planets).  Also when it is finished it will let you know by spamming you with "We don't think we can find any more minerals here." messages every day.  Until then put it in place and forget about it.  My 1st Geological Survey Team with a skill of 91 has taken around 18 months to survey Calisto for example.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 06:00:36 AM by Paul M »

Offline GenJeFT (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2013, 03:01:10 PM »
Quote from: andrea69 link=topic=6013. msg61821#msg61821 date=1364356787
You can reassign ships between TG, TF are something else, as metalax said.
Why do you find moving ships between TG counterintuitive? Anyway consider that there are other ways to manage TG, as an example check the buttons on the bottom right of the F12 screen (detach and assemble), and also the possibility to define superior/sub formations from the special orders/organization tab.  Defining superior/sub formations gives you the possibility to use ad hoc orders from the task group orders tab.

For someone used to the more gaphical 4X games its quite counter intuitive.  Mostly because I cant just select them on the screen and hit ctrl + a number.  I have partly figured it out by using the shipyard task force as a ship inventory.