Author Topic: PDCs & fighter factories  (Read 1807 times)

Offline wobbly (OP)

• Chief Petty Officer
  • w
PDCs & fighter factories
« on: August 24, 2013, 11:39:45 AM »
Noticed today that a small enough PDC (It's just a back-up sensor outpost) can be built in a fighter factory. If I build it will it actually be on the planet or will it end-up floating in orbit around my colony or something else strange?

Offline Paul M

• Vice Admiral
  • P
Re: PDCs & fighter factories
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2013, 12:03:37 PM »
You forgot to specify that it is a PDC in the design process so it is assumed to be an orbital base, one in this case small enough to qualify for fighter status.

Yes it will end up in orbit if you don't change it to a PDC.   You could of course launch and recover it from boat bays or hanger bays assuming you had such available.

Offline wobbly (OP)

• Chief Petty Officer
  • w
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2013, 12:20:33 PM »
No, actually:

Code: [Select]
Jenny class Sensor Outpost    160 tons     5 Crew     46.4 BP      TCS 3.2  TH 0  EM 0
Armour 5-2     Sensors 1/26     Damage Control Rating 0     PPV 0
Intended Deployment Time: 3 months    Spare Berths 1   

Active Search Sensor MR20-R170 (1)     GPS 4353     Range 20.0m km    Resolution 170
Active Search Sensor MR0-R1 (1)     GPS 16     Range 960k km    Resolution 1

This design is classed as a Planetary Defence Centre and can be pre-fabricated in 1 sections

Offline Paul M

• Vice Admiral
  • P
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2013, 01:36:25 AM »
Ok...you have now confused me. 

It says it is a PDC...so then why where you asking about building it in fighter factories?   Fighter Factories only build objects that say they are built as fighters in the description line.  PDCs are built with your main construction factory pool.  The size of the PDC only affects how long it takes to build.

Offline wobbly (OP)

• Chief Petty Officer
  • w
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2013, 08:13:04 AM »
When I go to the industry tab & change the drop down menu to fighters it appears on the list (a bug perhaps?) because it's under 500 tons. It then builds it on that seperate section of the sheet under fighter factories. Just tried it then & I assume it built it as a pdc (it has no maintainance clock at the least) on the planet.

Offline justleroy

• Petty Officer
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2013, 09:05:56 AM »
I confirmed this. When you create a PDC that is less than 500 tons, it is available to build as if it were a fighter or as a pdc. This is likely a bug.

Offline Paul M

• Vice Admiral
  • P
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2013, 01:32:52 PM »
It makes sense it is a bug...because it sure doesn't seem to be "WAD" or "WAI" even.

Offline metalax

• Commander
  • m
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2013, 08:18:48 AM »
As an addition to this, these 500 ton PDC's show up as viable options to be added to the default loadout of carriers on the ordnance/fighters tab of the class design screen.

Offline Conscript Gary

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2013, 06:23:23 PM »
I could accept mini-PDCs in the vein of like, mobile ICBM sites, but loading them onto carriers does seem a bit much heh

Offline JacenHan

• Captain
  • Discord Username: Jacenhan
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2013, 10:02:11 PM »
Ok...you have now confused me. 

It says it is a PDC...so then why where you asking about building it in fighter factories?   Fighter Factories only build objects that say they are built as fighters in the description line.  PDCs are built with your main construction factory pool.  The size of the PDC only affects how long it takes to build.
Fighter factories can build anything under 500 tons. This went along with the 6.0 engine update, which removed fighter engines, before which only ships with those engines could be built in fighter factories.

For example, this pre-6.0 ship could now be built in fighter factories.