Author Topic: Update Ship Design?  (Read 1815 times)

Offline star_wyvern (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • s
Update Ship Design?
« on: November 27, 2017, 05:22:31 PM »
Is there a way to update a current ship design? I have a different engine I would like to put on all ships of the same class.  I accidentally started out with Conventional Engines and put them on a Survey ship.  I have now researched Nuclear Engines and want to upgrade the design and then retrofit the new engines onto my Survey ship.  Is this possible? Thanks!

Offline obsidian_green

• Lieutenant
  • o
Re: Update Ship Design?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2017, 06:11:03 PM »
On the "Class Design" screen, copy the ship design you want to upgrade (buttons at the bottom of the window) and switch out the old component for the new. You will most likely need to retool a shipyard to the new design, and when that's done, select "refit" as the construction activity---you'll select the old class and the new one in the appropriate dropdown menus. Some months later the shipyard will pop out your newly refitted ship.

The following users thanked this post: star_wyvern

Offline star_wyvern (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • s
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2017, 07:15:09 PM »
I started to do that but wasn't sure.  Thanks! I will delete the Old design then once it's done.

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2017, 05:10:17 PM »
Alternately, you can engage SM mode and unlock the original design, then change the engines.  (You can, in fact, change anything you want at this stage with no further warnings.)  Save/lock the design, and the next time you look at any of those ships on the individual unit details screen they will be automatically changed to the new version.

Whether you consider this 'cheating' or 'fixing a design no sane engineer would let out of the shipyard' is a matter of personal preference.

The following users thanked this post: star_wyvern