Author Topic: Some testing  (Read 1233 times)

Offline dooots (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • d
Some testing
« on: July 13, 2010, 11:39:40 PM »
I decided to run some test today.

1. Does internal armor have any affect on meson cannons?  Nope.  I setup a target ship that had 40 reactors with 10 layers of internal armor and an attack ship with 1 mason cannon and with every hit I blew up a reactor, I stopped testing after blowing up about 20 of the reactors.

2. What affect does internal armor have on lasers?  The internal armor absorbs 1 point of damage for each layer of armor.  So if a reactor has 10 layers of internal armor you have to do 11 points of damage to the reactor in one shot to have a chance of destroying it.

3. What do laser warheads on missiles do?  For each msp you put into warhead you add one laser warhead to the missile.  The damage is based off of the level of your laser warhead tech.  So at max tech if you put 3 msp into warhead you get 3 laser warheads that each do 10 points of damage.  They also use the missile damage template so I don't really know why they are called laser warheads.  As far as I could tell the warheads can only hit one target.  So overall I don't see why you would use them.

4. I fired a 90 damage missile at my target ship with 100 layers of armor just because I had it setup and could.  As expected it went down 9 layers of armor but some of the right side columns of damage were missing.  So I made a 100 damage missile and fired it at the target.  It went down 10 layers and again some of the right side columns of damage were missing.  After looking at both hits it seems that missiles can only do 15 columns of damage.

[attachment=0:3kk7k1xr]missile.png[/attachment:3kk7k1xr]

Offline iamlenb

• Petty Officer
  • i
Re: Some testing
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2010, 01:31:58 AM »
The missile test is really interesting.  I'm betting it's a bug that can be turned into a "feature" through RP.  Did you fire the missile from the rear quarter of the target?  It sort of looks like it's not hitting 90 degrees straight on  :wink:
On the other hand, I'd like missiles to be doing full damage.  I'm hoping you've put this up in the bug thread.

Mesons forever!

Regards,
Len

Offline UnLimiTeD

• Vice Admiral
  • U
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2010, 03:03:56 AM »
Wait, does that mean if you have strength 200 Missile, the blast will be square?

Also, thanks for the test of Laser Warheads.
Sort of expected that already.

Offline dooots (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • d
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2010, 07:24:47 PM »
Did some more testing with high damage missiles.

The missile damage template only goes up to 100 damage.  So a 200 damage missile actually goes twice as deep as a 100 damage missile.  This also shows that there is no limit on number of rows damaged.
[attachment=0:2zegdq7a]missile200.png[/attachment:2zegdq7a]

Just for fun I made a 2700 damage missile.  100 layers of armor only stopped 1632 damage.  But if missiles can only do 15 columns of damage it should max out at 1500 damage.  Maybe its just a display bug on the ships screen.  Although if I did the math right 100 layers of armor should only absorb 1624 points of damage from a 2700 damage missile.  So I'm not really sure what is happening.