Author Topic: Some questions on PDCs  (Read 1623 times)

Offline martinuzz (OP)

• Lieutenant
  • High Dwarf
Some questions on PDCs
« on: August 19, 2010, 08:38:29 AM »
1) I just built my first (basic ICBM, started without missile bases, building some to make my population feel somewhat safer). I got a message: "Nuke 001 has run out of fuel".
Is this normal, and shouldn't I worry about it, since the things are stationary anyway?

2) Ofcourse, I also ordered my ordnance factories to make some appropriate ICBM missiles. Do I have to do anything to make the PDC actually use them, or is that automatic, as long as there are enough missiles on the planet?

3) How do I assign ground troops to go inside the PDC? I haven't designed one with troop capacity yet, but I will..

Offline martinuzz (OP)

• Lieutenant
  • High Dwarf
Re: Some questions on PDCs
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2010, 09:03:28 AM »
4) My last game, I did a conventional start with missile bases at start turned on. I don't remember those showing up on the system map..
However, the PDC I built (it's taskgroup, "PDC Fleet: Earth") does show on my system map. Does this mean, that my PDC that was meant to be built on the planet, got built in space instead, and is orbiting Earth? If so, what is the proper way of building a PDC on the planet surface? I used the "build PDC/Orbital Habitat" construction option.

I fixed the fuel message by manually fueling the darn thing, because the message kept spamming me.

Offline welchbloke

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2010, 09:42:13 AM »
Quote from: "martinuzz"
4) My last game, I did a conventional start with missile bases at start turned on. I don't remember those showing up on the system map..
However, the PDC I built (it's taskgroup, "PDC Fleet: Earth") does show on my system map. Does this mean, that my PDC that was meant to be built on the planet, got built in space instead, and is orbiting Earth? If so, what is the proper way of building a PDC on the planet surface? I used the "build PDC/Orbital Habitat" construction option.

I fixed the fuel message by manually fueling the darn thing, because the message kept spamming me.
if it is a PDC then it will be on the planet (unless there is a bug in the Orbital habitat code - I don't know as I haven't upgraded to 5.2 yet- too much fun with my current game).  All task groups, PDC or otherwise, show up on the system map.
Welchbloke

Offline Hawkeye

• Silver Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2010, 09:46:48 AM »
Remove the fuel tank in the design step, that is added as default for a new design. PDCs generally don´t need fuel so the tank is not needed. Without any fuel capacity, they also can´t run out of it.
Ralph Hoenig, Germany

Offline MattyD

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2010, 03:02:17 PM »
Nice one with the fuel on PDC's, would never have caught that and the message is irritating.

I'm having some major problems in my 5.14 game at the moment with PDCs and fighters.

Before I made any fighters - my design has no engineering spaces on them, I wanted to have hangers to put them straight into...

So I designed a PDC to take care of them...

Code: [Select]
Edward VII class Planetary Fighter Base    15150 tons     104 Crew     438 BP      TCS 303  TH 0  EM 0
Armour 5-54     Sensors 1/28     Damage Control Rating 0     PPV 0
Hangar Deck Capacity 1000 tons     Troop Capacity: 5 Battalions    Magazine 340    

Fuel Capacity 150,000 Litres    Range N/A
Hawker S1- AMM (100)  Speed: 51,300 km/s   End: 0.8m    Range: 2.6m km   WH: 1    Size: 1    TH: 273 / 164 / 82

Active Ran39-Res100 (1)     GPS 2800     Range 39.2m km    Resolution 100

Strike Group
4x Lightning Fighter   Speed: 9795 km/s    Size: 4.9

Missile to hit chances are vs targets moving at 3000 km/s, 5000 km/s and 10,000 km/s

This design is classed as a Planetary Defence Centre and can be pre-fabricated in 7 sections

lol - was going to ask why when all 6 pre fabricated sections transported to Mars were assembled, the PDC was missing.

7 sections......

Anyway, the major problem is to do with the fighters....(I hope Steve's NATO Viper design is not copywritten this might seem a little similar...)

Code: [Select]
Lightning class Fighter    245 tons     17 Crew     81.1 BP      TCS 4.9  TH 48  EM 0
9795 km/s     Armour 1-3     Shields 0-0     Sensors 1/1/0/0     Damage Control Rating 0     PPV 1.2
Annual Failure Rate: 49%    IFR: 0.7%    Maint Capacity 0 MSP    Max Repair 56 MSP    Est Time: 0 Years
Magazine 8    

FTR Magneto-plasma Drive E600 (1)    Power 48    Fuel Use 6000%    Signature 48    Armour 0    Exp 25%
Fuel Capacity 10,000 Litres    Range 1.2 billion km   (34 hours at full power)

Size 1 Box Launcher (8)    Missile Size 1    Hangar Reload 7.5 minutes    MF Reload 1.2 hours
MFC2-R1 (1)     Range 2.4m km    Resolution 1
Hawker S1- AMM (8)  Speed: 51,300 km/s   End: 0.8m    Range: 2.6m km   WH: 1    Size: 1    TH: 273 / 164 / 82

Missile to hit chances are vs targets moving at 3000 km/s, 5000 km/s and 10,000 km/s

This design is classed as a military vessel for maintenance purposes
This design is classed as a fighter for production and combat purposes

Now, when the first fighter rolled from the production lines it was assigned a TG with an odd name that I cannot recall. I then set the fighter a 'join' order with the PDC.

Now, whenever a new fighter is made, I get an error message about an inability to assign to fleet and the fighter disappears....

Is something wrong with the database or is it just the player at fault and what suggestions do you all have to help. Its 2066 and I am tooling up my first grav survey vessel and real military fleet - If theres anything out there, I will be ready to take it apart.
Of course, there is always 5.2 calling my name, but I'm more than happy with this game and want to blow something up for the first time....

EDIT : The error message is 3201 and comes up twice: One about Fleet and another with AddShipHistory
My Newbie AAR

Offline welchbloke

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2010, 03:21:07 PM »
I can't remember the source of this error, but I thought Steve had fixed a couple of versions ago.  Have a look at the fighter sqn management screen (F7) are the produced fighters there?  Try assigning them to a sqn then assigning the sqn to the PDC.  If that works on the F12 screen try using the command to land parasites.
Welchbloke

Offline MattyD

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2010, 05:13:08 PM »
Thanks for the assistance...

Hey there's a fighter screen :)

Nice to know, lol, it certainly answered a few questions about how to launch fighters....

Sadly, it changes little. I have the produced fighter in a squadron assigned to a PDC mothership but all fighter production results in the two errors and the loss of the vessel somewhere in the ether.

I've tried canceling all fighter production, running the clock for a few ticks and starting it again with no change.

The lack of any fighters is making me think about upgrading to 5.2 and leaving this one be. While Steve may have solved this bug in the past I fear my getting the fighter to 'join' with a PDC is so idiotic to one familiar with the interface to have slipped through the code.

I might SM this game into 5.2 and start again, bit of a pain though.....
My Newbie AAR

Offline Hawkeye

• Silver Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2010, 10:56:26 PM »
Did you specify a TG to assign the fighters to on the production window?
Ralph Hoenig, Germany

Offline MattyD

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2010, 02:45:29 AM »
Hawkeye.....

Only an idiot would have failed to specify a TG in the production window.

"My name is Matt, and I'm an idiot"."

I have fighter production once more....

Thank you
My Newbie AAR

Offline Hawkeye

• Silver Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2010, 08:25:42 AM »
Don´t worry, I did *exactely* the same thing the first time around :)
Ralph Hoenig, Germany

Offline MattyD

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2010, 05:59:22 AM »
Hmm, while its not a major problem, I have found my missing production orbiting Mars, and beyond the limits of the interface in terms of my interaction with them. They show up only on the stockpile section of the Mars Industry Tab.

No real problem, as I Fast OOB'ed their replacements.

Now, here is my latest problem.

I wanted the PDC's built before the fighters as I thought that the maintenance clock stopped while fighters were in hangers.

This does not appear to be working as I envisioned.

I couldn't built engineering spaces into the PDC. Just wondering if there were any tips on how to stop my fighters falling apart before they are called upon.

I'm assuming maintenance modules come into play somewhere, but I'm a little unsure of their use.
My Newbie AAR

Offline Hawkeye

• Silver Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2010, 11:48:09 AM »
Are the fighters actually _in_ the hanger, i.e. docked?
You have to form them into a squadron (F7 screen), then assign them to a mothership, which can be a PDC with hangar space and then order them to dock (recover).
Ralph Hoenig, Germany

Offline MattyD

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2010, 12:43:02 PM »
Thanks again....

Now that I have recovered the fighters I can see that their location has changed from Sol to CVL Upholder.

Simple now that I know.....

Once again I am indebted to you, thanks for your patience Hawkeye.
My Newbie AAR