Author Topic: Disable Inexperienced Fleet Penalties after Enabling It?  (Read 2911 times)

Offline ChubbyPitbull (OP)

• Gold Supporter
  • Sub-Lieutenant
  • C
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
When I initially created the game I'm playing, I turned on Inexperienced Fleet penalties as I usually do to require task force training. However, after I had played a bit and started designing ships, I decided I wanted to make a fighter-focused military, and soon discovered that I could achieve maybe half a month or so of task force training before my fighters acquired ~5% TF skill and ran out of fuel and required manual refueling to limp home. Rather than dealing with constant micro-ing of a few hundred fighters for the rest of the game, I decided to just turn off the Inexperience Fleet Penalties settings. When I start Aurora and select my game, there is a checkbox for Inexperienced Fleet Penalties, which I am able to uncheck. However, I noticed every time I start the game, this box is checked again. I just recently made my first hostile contact with a scout fighter, who after getting an active sensor look at the opposition I've ordered to turn tail and run. However, when I advance time in 5 second increments, my fighter is "Awaiting Acknowledgement" instead of moving, which says to me that Inexperienced Fleet Penalties are still in effect, and since my fighter has no training it is slow to respond to orders.

Is there a way to disable this permanently for my game? Thanks!

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
Re: Disable Inexperienced Fleet Penalties after Enabling It?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2014, 03:52:01 PM »
When I initially created the game I'm playing, I turned on Inexperienced Fleet penalties as I usually do to require task force training. However, after I had played a bit and started designing ships, I decided I wanted to make a fighter-focused military, and soon discovered that I could achieve maybe half a month or so of task force training before my fighters acquired ~5% TF skill and ran out of fuel and required manual refueling to limp home. Rather than dealing with constant micro-ing of a few hundred fighters for the rest of the game, I decided to just turn off the Inexperience Fleet Penalties settings. When I start Aurora and select my game, there is a checkbox for Inexperienced Fleet Penalties, which I am able to uncheck. However, I noticed every time I start the game, this box is checked again. I just recently made my first hostile contact with a scout fighter, who after getting an active sensor look at the opposition I've ordered to turn tail and run. However, when I advance time in 5 second increments, my fighter is "Awaiting Acknowledgement" instead of moving, which says to me that Inexperienced Fleet Penalties are still in effect, and since my fighter has no training it is slow to respond to orders.

Is there a way to disable this permanently for my game? Thanks!

Did you click Save?

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2014, 05:21:32 PM »
IIRC the fighters will gain fleet training while sat on their carrier

• Gold Supporter
  • Sub-Lieutenant
  • C
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2014, 07:57:18 PM »
Did you click Save?

Haha, gosh darn it. Thanks!

IIRC the fighters will gain fleet training while sat on their carrier

Hmm, so far my fighters have been sitting in PDCs on the planet, but not gaining any TF training points. I will test loading them on to a carrier with Inexperience fleet penalties enabled, and see if they gain TF points. Will the carrier carrying them have to be on Task Force training for the fighters to gain TF points?

Offline NihilRex

• Lieutenant
  • N
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2014, 09:30:59 PM »
Yes.  Dock to carrier, set TF on training, profit.

Offline Brian Neumann

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2014, 05:24:50 AM »
If you include a very slow ship in the training TF the fuel use goes down.  I have seen some players use an orbital base with practically no engines as their carrier training facility.

Brian

• Gold Supporter
  • Sub-Lieutenant
  • C
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2014, 07:09:54 AM »
If you include a very slow ship in the training TF the fuel use goes down.  I have seen some players use an orbital base with practically no engines as their carrier training facility.

Brian

Wow that's a great idea, I'd never considered that! I'm curious though, would the orbital base still move at 1 km/s and fall out of orbit from the planet, and have to be towed back into position after TF training was complete?

Offline davidb86

• Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2014, 04:35:59 PM »
I use a carrier design with a single commercial engine for CV(T).  This also is a very efficient way to deliver out of date local defense fighters to colonies with a fighter base, or current fighter to fleet carriers in another system.  They are very cheap, and at ion tech have a speed of ~1000 km/sec.  I would never let them near a hostile ship / system.  Although they make a nice supplement to the pdf's around Earth.

Offline papent

• Lieutenant
  • Off We Go Into The Wild Blue Yonder
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2014, 04:52:31 PM »
i use the orbital base in the training TF, and as far i can see they never fall out of orbit.
I RP as the task group is wargaming around the planet mostly doing planetary assault/defense exercises
In my humble opinion anything that could be considered a balance issue is a moot point unless the AI utilize it against you because otherwise it's an exploit you willing choose to use to game the system. 
Rule 0 Is effect : "The SM is always right/ What SM Says Goes."

• Gold Supporter
  • Sub-Lieutenant
  • C
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2014, 06:55:45 AM »
i use the orbital base in the training TF, and as far i can see they never fall out of orbit.
I RP as the task group is wargaming around the planet mostly doing planetary assault/defense exercises

Awesome! That could simplify things. My carriers seem pretty fuel efficient currently task force training around, but this will save even more, plus keep them on station if they need to respond to something.

I use a carrier design with a single commercial engine for CV(T).  This also is a very efficient way to deliver out of date local defense fighters to colonies with a fighter base, or current fighter to fleet carriers in another system.  They are very cheap, and at ion tech have a speed of ~1000 km/sec.  I would never let them near a hostile ship / system.  Although they make a nice supplement to the pdf's around Earth.

Do you mean you are able to make a Carrier Classes as a Commercial Vessel, or are you using the a Commercial Engine on the Military carrier because the CV(T) is intended purely to shuttle fighters around, and that while it's incredibly slow it's also incredibly fuel efficient/long range?

Offline NihilRex

• Lieutenant
  • N
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2014, 07:14:16 AM »
The latter - hangars\boatbays are military components, so civilian carriers are impossible.

Using commercial drives in combat vessels goes back to the Bug war at least, as a serious strategic choice.

Offline davidb86

• Lieutenant
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2014, 11:37:41 AM »
Do you mean you are able to make a Carrier Classes as a Commercial Vessel, or are you using the a Commercial Engine on the Military carrier because the CV(T) is intended purely to shuttle fighters around, and that while it's incredibly slow it's also incredibly fuel efficient/long range?
low fuel cost military carrier for training and fighter delivery.