Author Topic: C# Ground Combat  (Read 82348 times)

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
Re: C# Ground Combat
« Reply #150 on: December 25, 2019, 12:28:37 PM »
If you know the real Canadian Table of Organization and Equipment, please add it to my Real World 21st Century templates thread. Better to have as many as possible!

Offline Alsadius

• Lieutenant
« Reply #151 on: December 25, 2019, 06:37:51 PM »
Quote from: Garfunkel link=topic=9792. msg117684#msg117684 date=1577298517
If you know the real Canadian Table of Organization and Equipment, please add it to my Real World 21st Century templates thread.  Better to have as many as possible!

Not in enough detail to be useful, sadly.  This was just basic top-level stats from Wikipedia. 

Offline Alsadius

• Lieutenant
« Reply #152 on: December 27, 2019, 11:01:18 AM »
I also did a bunch of math on weapon system efficiency. 

A few technical notes before we start. 
Off-Topic: show
- Basic assumptions here are that both sides are at equal tech, all vehicles use the heaviest available armour, and we're only looking at shots that actually hit the target - I'm looking at AP vs Armour and Damage vs HP, not to-hit numbers. 
- Assumed armour values are based on the screenshots Steve posted, with the heaviest option equipped.  Infantry = x1, LV = x2, V = x4, HV = x6, SHV = x9, UHV = x12, Static = x3.  Combat rules are pages 7-8 of the C# changes thread, and weapon lists are on page 4 of this thread. 
- The equal tech assumption really matters.  At equal tech, basic riflemen (PW-equipped infantry) have a 100% chance of killing each other if they hit.  If you up the armor tech on the defender from 10 armor and 10 HP to 12 of each, the attacker only has a 48% chance of a kill. 
- I don't know of any publicly posted cost info, which means I can't measure cost efficiency.  In practice, this will probably matter a lot.  UHVs are amazing on a per-ton basis, for example, but I'd wager they'll stink on a per-BP basis. 
- When I discuss size efficiency, I'm looking at the smallest system available of each type.  That means infantry-based light weapons, and light vehicles carrying every LV-available weapon.  For the few weapons that require Vehicles or Super-Heavy Vehicles, I mounted multiples of the system (e. g. , SHAV is judged on the basis of a SHV with three of them equipped).  For targets, I assumed that they used the smallest combat weapon mix they could.  For infantry, that means PWLs, and for vehicles, that means all their slots filled with CAPs. 
- I haven't considered any systems that don't directly deal damage.

Attacking a Given Target
vs Infantry:
Literally everything kills infantry except Light Personal Weapons, which have only a 6% chance.  Because of multiple shots, the champions at killing them are the crew-served anti-personnel weapons, killing 6 per round.  The most space-efficient option for killing them is a CAP, which can kill 150% of their own size each round.  Heavy CAP, regular personal weapons, and light bombardment are all reasonable choices as well (90%, 60%, and 45%, respectively).  Light AC is 25%, and nothing else is above 20%. 

vs Light Vehicles:
LVs are 100% killed by every AV type, heavy bombardment, and medium/heavy AA.  Because of multiple shots, medium bombardment and medium/heavy AC average more than 1 kill per round as well.  Heavy bombardment is the champ in raw kills, being the only unit to hit 3/round.  Most weapon systems have decent space-efficiency here, with everything breaking 20% except PWL, PW, and LAA.  Light AV is naturally the best, at 150%, followed by heavy bombardment at 104%, medium bombardment at 78%, MAV at 55%, medium autocannon at 53%, medium AA at 46%, HCAP at 45%. . . it's really all over the map.  Even personal weapons are 13%.  Basically, everything bigger than a rifleman does decently here, and even riflemen are passable. 

vs Vehicles:
The only 100% killers are medium/heavy/superheavy AV.  Heavy bombardment, heavy AC, and heavy AA all manage better than half a kill per round as well.  On space efficiency, medium AV at 95% is the best, followed by heavy AV at 74%, heavy bombardment at 46%, heavy AC at 39%, light AV at 37%, SHAV at 36%, MB and MAA at 34%, and medium AC at 30%.  Light weapons really start to fall off in effectiveness here - PW are 3%, and CAP/LAC/LB are all below 10%. 

vs Heavy Vehicles:
Only HAV/SHAV get 100% kill rates here.  Nothing else manages more than a third of a kill per round.  On space efficiency, the champ is HAV, of course, killing 105% of its size per round.  SHAV is 52%, and HB/MAV/HAA/HAC are in the 17-29% range.  Nothing else breaks 10%. 

vs Super-Heavy Vehicles:
Nothing gets a guaranteed kill here.  SHAV has a 56% chance, HAV has 11%, and nothing else kills more than 4% of a SHV per round.  On space efficiency, it's similar - SHAV is 70%, HAV is 28%, and nothing else beats 8%. 

vs Ultra-Heavy Vehicles:
Same story here.  Even the mighty SHAV only has an 8% chance of getting a kill each round, and 17% space efficiency.  HAV is 1. 6% to kill, and 6. 8% space efficiency.  Nothing else beats 0. 5% kill chances or 2% space efficiency.  UHVs are absolute monsters on the battlefield, and it'll likely only be cost that keeps them from taking over as primary combatants. 

vs Static:
We're back to the land where things can be killed - these are halfway between light and regular vehicles.  MAV/HAV/SHAV/HAA get guaranteed kills if they hit, and HB/MAC/HAC average better than one kill per round.  LAV kills 67% of its size each round, followed by MAV at 55%, MAC at 53%, HB at 46%, HAV at 42%, HAC at 40%, and so on. 

Weapon Systems
Personal Weapons:
Regular personal weapons are solid infantry-killers, tolerable against light vehicles, and very weak against everything else.  Light personal weapons are just trash, unless you're attacking someone who's way behind you in tech.  PWL-equipped infantry are a damage sponge, not a serious combat unit, in a near-peer war.  I expect these to do well on cost-efficiency, but not on any other metric.  That said, cost efficiency matters a lot. 

Crew-Served Anti-Personnel:
These are the kings of anti-infantry work, and decent against light vehicles(especially the heavy).  They can make a showing against static installations and regular vehicles too.  I expect to see a lot of these around. 

Anti-Vehicle:
Does exactly what it says on the tin.  These are the only realistic choices against SHV/UHV behemoths, and by far the most efficient against the more plebeian vehicles and static in.  They're not great against infantry though - too big, for too little effect.  That said, for a nation with a massive tech disadvantage, a lot of LAV as anti-infantry weapons makes good sense. 

Bombardment:
Given that these can be fired from behind the front lines, they're surprisingly good.  If LB needs to be at the front it's pretty weak, though (I'm not 100% sure of the rules here).  MB and HB rip apart a lot of smaller vehicles very well, and they can even be built with weaker armour if desired, since they're not front-line combatants.  MBL will be interesting to see in practice, since it has the extra-long range of HB, the damage of MB, and size halfway between the two.  I suspect MBL use will depend more heavily on doctrine than most.  These seem like effective garrison units, since they can (presumably) be built fairly cheap and the supply use is easier to accommodate than on the attack, but I'd wager the collateral damage from that will hurt. 

Anti-Aircraft:
Obviously these are specialized units, so their raw damage isn't anything special.  That said, MAA and HAA are actually fairly decent in the AV role too.  It feels a bit WW2 here tbh, like the famous 88s and 5" DP naval guns.  If HAA isn't too expensive, I expect to see it as a secondary weapon on some tanks, since it can cover your whole force while still doing decent anti-vehicle work.  MAA's rules work against it a bit as a front-line combatant, since it can only cover its own formation or a direct subordinate formation as I understand it, which means you don't want it in the front lines (where it's as limited as LAA for a higher cost).  But for support formations, it'll help against breakthroughs, which I expect to typically be tank-led. 

Autocannons:
These are a bit jack-of-all-trades.  Not superior at anything, but useful across a broad spectrum.  That said, they seem balanced pretty low right now - I think they could get a fourth shot and still be balanced.  Unless these are fairly cheap (or they get buffed), I can't imagine using them seriously.  If they are quite cheap, though, they give a good spectrum of anti-tank effects, with broader utility against a range of classes than the AV guns. 

Bombardment Pods:
Steve gave the rules for bombardment fighter pods specifically, and while they're not ground units per se, I did a bit of analysis here as well.  For killing infantry, 20-ton(=8 MSP) pods are pretty decent (as good as LB), and 40-70 ton pods are quite effective against LV.  Against heavier units, there's a fairly flat performance per ton once your damage exceeds their HP - 40 tons for Static, 50 for V, 70 for HV, 100 for SHV, and 150 tons for UHV.  The increased AP thereafter keeps pace with the increased tonnage, more or less.  And the stats are fairly good - a 150-ton pod has 3x the chance to kill a UHV that a SHAV does. 

Also, because the on-ground tonnage is fairly low, the FFDs are less likely to draw ground fire than an their effective firepower would imply.  A 60-ton FFD draws fire like a 60-ton tank, but it can direct the firepower of 3000 tons of fighters.  Even with box-launcher fighters for space work, you can very realistically get 500 tons of weapon pods into the fight with a single FFD.  The fighters cost more transport space, but a few FFDs are likely not to get hit too badly, and they can direct a hell of a lot of firepower.  If the enemy has weak AA, your aerial firepower is going to be quite safe relative to the damage it's doing. 

Overall
Steve's done a pretty good job here.  Units work like you'd expect, nothing is a god weapon, there's definite need for combined arms, and I expect realistic-looking forces to come out.  I'll need to see costs before I judge it too definitively, but on paper it really looks good.  My only real concerns are SHV/UHV costs (and how well the AI reacts to a player building lots of them, since it seems like the sort of thing a lot of players will do just for fun), and autocannon balance, but those are fairly minor.  I really like this system. 

Offline Bremen

• Commodore
  • B
« Reply #153 on: December 27, 2019, 12:58:56 PM »
- I don't know of any publicly posted cost info, which means I can't measure cost efficiency.  In practice, this will probably matter a lot.  UHVs are amazing on a per-ton basis, for example, but I'd wager they'll stink on a per-BP basis. 

Cost is equal to armor * (total) size. This has some interesting effects, including the fact that in a direct matchup* heavy armor is never more cost effective than minimal armor; even in a situation where the armor gives the maximum survivability boost (ie the enemy weapon cannot penetrate any of the added armor) doubling the armor results in taking one quarter the damage - at the expense of having half the resilience and half the firepower, which means you're one quarter as effective. However, that's only if you measure purely on cost - where armor excels is letting you fit more combat power in the same space, which will probably be very important when dropping troops on a defended planet, since you will be limited by transport capacity. This is why I expect a metagame of heavily armored assault units vs minimally armored infantry and static unit garrisons.

*There are potentially some situations where armor becomes more cost effective than unarmored units if you have a mix of armored and unarmored units and can use the armored units to "tank", such as armored infantry and unarmored bombardment weapons.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2019, 01:00:36 PM by Bremen »

Offline Bremen

• Commodore
  • B
« Reply #154 on: December 27, 2019, 01:45:54 PM »
On an unrelated note, while I was fact checking my previous post I noticed that the cost of ground units is Base Armor Rating * Size, not racial. This, if I'm reading it correctly, means that one infantry with a personal weapon costs the same amount regardless of your tech, while your ability to afford ground units will scale with tech (including both wealth and mining rate, even if ground force training speed isn't a tech line).

If I might make a suggestion, I think there should be some modifier to tech cost so that a higher tech tank, for example, would cost more. Not necessarily a lot more (I see no reason they shouldn't still be more cost efficient than a lower tech one), but keeping up with expanded economies, so that one million population could sustain the same number of high tech tanks as low tech ones. This also avoids weirdness with pre-TNE civilizations, where because of the reduced economies and mining rates, a pre-TNE civilization would probably end up with like a third to a fifth as many tanks and soldiers as a TNE one, despite those units being far weaker.

One way to do this would be scaling the costs by racial armor strength, though that would produce a bit of oddness where increasing your racial weapon strength increased the strength of ground units but not their cost, while armor strength increased cost twice as much as it should. An alternative would be to modify ground unit cost by SQRT(Racial Armor Strength * Racial Weapon Strength)/10.

This change would probably also need a ground force training speed tech line, if there isn't one already, and may be such a core change that it should wait until the next (post release) version. But I felt strongly enough about it I thought it was worth pointing out.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2019, 02:00:53 PM by Bremen »

Offline mtm84

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • m
« Reply #155 on: December 27, 2019, 02:36:44 PM »
I believe Steve mentioned there was a ground forces build tech line similar to shipyard and fighter/ordnance production.  I also thought that unit cost was already based on the racial ground weapon tech, then modified by the level of armor it had, but I haven't looked through the ground forces posts in a while.

Offline Hazard

• Commodore
  • H
« Reply #156 on: December 27, 2019, 02:41:17 PM »
Another thing to keep in mind though is the Supply issue. While that is not as much an issue in ground combat as it is in space, in space a lack of supplies can cause the ship to explode (no seriously, it's unlikely but a beam weapon that is charged and suffers a failure that isn't repaired can explode and cause a chain reaction), but a supplied ground force has double the fire rate than a force that is lacking supply. While that won't matter so much during the first few rounds of combat because ground forces spawn with a supply for 10 rounds of combat, it can get very expensive for the bigger weapons because those consume large amounts of supply.

They also tend to be very effective, but when you have to chose between 1 round of fire by a heavy bombardment component or 1 round of fire from 36 different personal weapon components it can be important how you prioritize supply in your army, and if you have more supply than your enemy but equal size armies, you probably will fair better than the enemy, even if your supplies only last 1 turn longer.

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #157 on: December 27, 2019, 02:59:25 PM »
A supplied ground force has double the fire rate than a force that is lacking supply

It is 4x the fire rate, so supply makes a huge difference.

Offline Alsadius

• Lieutenant
« Reply #158 on: December 27, 2019, 03:31:43 PM »
Given the sample units in the C# changes thread, it seems to be cost = size (in HS) * base armor. Or if you just look at the numbers given, cost = tons * armour value / 500.

That's a very simple system, though it doesn't yet make my analysis correspondingly easy.

- PWL infantry is basically an admission of defeat. You're giving up almost all your offensive firepower, in exchange for making the enemy take more hits to beat you. The only situation where it might make sense is if you're using it to meat-shield for gargantuan stacks of artillery, or big tech advantages as stated above. These might be fun as a "Zerg rush" unit for NPRs, though, but I can't imagine a player building them for anything besides RP reasons. Actually, I think a fun way to balance this might be making it possible to train unarmoured PWL infantry at any planet, whether or not it has a GFTF. Call it "militia", and make it trainable by any factory type.

- Autocannons really do need a buff.

- Doubling armour doubles the cost of a unit, but quadruples its survivability (assuming the enemy doesn't have excess AP on their attacks). It doesn't increase firepower, though. So if you consider otherwise-equal vehicles with armour 2 vs 4, and you build twice as many of the former, you'll have twice the firepower but half the total survivability. On paper, those are balanced equally. The dominating factors here will be transport space/HQ capacity (which pushes to higher armour), morale mechanics (which could go either way), how much high-AP weaponry the enemy has (more means you want lower armour), and the ability to break units up as needed (which pushes towards lower armour).

- On that note, SHVs/UHVs look fairly decent, as long as you're not digging in. Consider a unit like a UHV equipped with SHAV, HAA, 2x HCAP. That's 396 tons, armour multiplier 12, so 95.04 BP. Compare that to my main battle tank from the previous page(vehicle with HAV and HCAP), which cost 8.32 BP. The UHV kills an average of 1.66 tanks per round(or 13.81 BP), the tanks kill a total of 0.0158 UHVs per round(or 1.502 BP each = 17.15 BP for a tank force that costs the same as the UHV). It's not that big a difference. If you're tonnage-limited, the UHV is doing similar damage for 1/3 the tonnage. And even with the huge supply burden of the SHAV, it's using 117 supplies per round, compared to 514 for the tanks. (The big drawback is that it has 2 machine guns instead of 11-12 - the tanks can kill 80 infantry a round, versus 14 for the UHV.)

- Adding up the cost totals from my formations on the last page (I've edited numbers in), it's clear that many of my decisions on force structure were cost-inefficient. (Edit: This section is incorrect, see posts below) 1440 supply units for a division cost 3571.2 BP this way, but if they're changed to infantry-based instead of vehicle-based, they're 1440 BP instead. I can increase supply count by a quarter and reduce cost by half without affecting tonnage, which reduces the total cost of the force by more than 10%. Vehicle-based logistics is an extravagance. Similarly, you can save a lot of cash by going with lightly armoured support forces - e.g., I could save almost 400 BP by down-armouring my division AA/arty.

- I'm not sure what I think about increasing vehicle sizes while keeping armour levels down. You can fit more weapons per ton on a V than 2x LV, since the V is 18 tons with 2 slots compared to 12 tons with 1 slot. If you keep the V to x2 armour, it's also less BP, since it's fewer tons with the same armour. Assuming enemy weapons do <= 3 damage, the extra HP makes it 78% more survivable as well, which is good recompense for putting two eggs in one basket.

A part of me just wants to code a battle simulator now. I am having far too much fun with this.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2019, 06:25:12 AM by Alsadius »

The following users thanked this post: Graham

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #159 on: December 27, 2019, 04:10:47 PM »
You're not the first one to post that Auto Cannons seem weak. There's definitely a niche there, a weapon that combines anti-personnel and anti-vehicle firepower into a single weapon. Obviously, they can't be better than the dedicated weapons in their role, but since every vehicle has at least two slots, I'm not sure if it is better to have an AC+something instead of just CAP+AV combo.

Offline Alsadius

• Lieutenant
« Reply #160 on: December 27, 2019, 04:43:36 PM »
(Someone posted about how infantry-based supplies shouldn't be the most efficient option, but it's disappeared before I started writing this)

An easy fix would be to make the full-sized logistics module unavailable on infantry, and to make the small module 25 tons instead of 10. 100 supplies for 0.5 BP is less efficient than 500 supplies for 2.48 BP, and the vehicles would be better protected if your front line breaks. The infantry will only be very slightly more expensive, though, and will still be usable for things like marine forces.

You're not the first one to post that Auto Cannons seem weak. There's definitely a niche there, a weapon that combines anti-personnel and anti-vehicle firepower into a single weapon. Obviously, they can't be better than the dedicated weapons in their role, but since every vehicle has at least two slots, I'm not sure if it is better to have an AC+something instead of just CAP+AV combo.

Playing with numbers, I like the idea of LAC being available for infantry, MAC getting 4 shots, and HAC getting 5(but going up to 80 tons from 72, because otherwise it's a touch too strong relative to MAC). None of them are tops in any category, but they get good broad-spectrum efficiency out of it. With those numbers:
- Best-in-class against each target type is 150% for CAP vs Inf, 150% for LAV vs LV, 95% for MAV vs V, 105% for HAV vs HV, and 70% for SHAV vs SHV
- LAC is 38% vs Inf, 52% vs LV, 13% vs V, 4% vs HV, and 1% vs SHV
- MAC is 20% vs Inf, 71% vs LV, 39% vs V, 11% vs HV, and 3% vs SHV
- HAC is 7% vs Inf, 60% vs LV, 59% vs V, 26% vs HV, and 7% vs SHV

They're not going to light the world on fire, but they function as good all-arounders. It also matches the progression of other weapon types well, where infantry can use the light model, and the increase in shot count replaces an increase in damage. It should also be super-easy to implement, since it's just changing values in the database, no coding changes required.

Offline Bremen

• Commodore
  • B
« Reply #161 on: December 27, 2019, 04:48:39 PM »
- I'm not sure what I think about increasing vehicle sizes while keeping armour levels down.  You can fit more weapons per ton on a V than 2x LV, since the V is 18 tons with 2 slots compared to 12 tons with 1 slot.  If you keep the V to x2 armour, it's also less BP, since it's fewer tons with the same armour.  Assuming enemy weapons do <= 3 damage, the extra HP makes it 78% more survivable as well, which is good recompense for putting two eggs in one basket.   

78% more survivable compared to a single light vehicle; since in this scenario it's two light vehicles vs 1 normal vehicle, it's actually 22% less survivable in exchange for being cheaper and lighter (and there's some benefit to not losing firepower after one of the two is destroyed). Light Vehicles also have a really nice hit modifier when unfortified, which makes them attractive for assault forces.

As for autocannons, I agree the stats we have seem weak but they may have changed since, and even if they haven't it may be best to wait on balancing until there's wider scale playtesting.

(Someone posted about how infantry-based supplies shouldn't be the most efficient option, but it's disappeared before I started writing this)

An easy fix would be to make the full-sized logistics module unavailable on infantry, and to make the small module 25 tons instead of 10. 100 supplies for 0.5 BP is less efficient than 500 supplies for 2.48 BP, and the vehicles would be better protected if your front line breaks. The infantry will only be very slightly more expensive, though, and will still be usable for things like marine forces.

Shouldn't infantry based supply be the most efficient? They can only supply their own formation while vehicle based supplies can supply other formations (and do it from the support position to avoid being directly attacked). Infantry based supply is strictly inferior but cheaper.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2019, 04:50:10 PM by Bremen »

Offline Alsadius

• Lieutenant
« Reply #162 on: December 27, 2019, 05:10:28 PM »
78% more survivable compared to a single light vehicle; since in this scenario it's two light vehicles vs 1 normal vehicle, it's actually 22% less survivable in exchange for being cheaper and lighter (and there's some benefit to not losing firepower after one of the two is destroyed). Light Vehicles also have a really nice hit modifier when unfortified, which makes them attractive for assault forces.

As for autocannons, I agree the stats we have seem weak but they may have changed since, and even if they haven't it may be best to wait on balancing until there's wider scale playtesting.

Waiting on playtesting is fair. This doesn't need to happen today, god knows. If nothing else, I'm working from a year-old post here, and things may well have changed.

Agreed re 78% more survivable being less good than having 2x the ability to take damage. The argument I was making was that it's a bit less survivable but also a bit cheaper, so there's some decent tradeoffs there.

The fact that I haven't yet analyzed hit modifiers is the biggest weakness of my analysis thus far. No doubt it'll make some things look rather different.

Shouldn't infantry based supply be the most efficient? They can only supply their own formation while vehicle based supplies can supply other formations (and do it from the support position to avoid being directly attacked). Infantry based supply is strictly inferior but cheaper.

Whoops! Good catch. I withdraw that criticism. This system now makes a lot more sense to me. (I'd have made a right fool of myself if I had tried to actually build the force specified without noticing that...)

Offline Hazard

• Commodore
  • H
« Reply #163 on: December 28, 2019, 08:08:26 AM »
It is 4x the fire rate, so supply makes a huge difference.

I stand corrected.

As for autocannons; something to keep in mind is that they're decent at all jobs. Frankly, when enemies start fielding power armoured and/or genetically enhanced infantry you will start to see autocannons doing a very good job, as they'll chew through enemy PA/GE infantry and light vehicles much better than the anti personnel weaponry that generally lacks the punch to deal with the extra armour and hitpoints those units have, while having a much better firing rate.

Offline Alsadius

• Lieutenant
« Reply #164 on: December 28, 2019, 10:23:04 AM »
As for autocannons; something to keep in mind is that they're decent at all jobs. Frankly, when enemies start fielding power armoured and/or genetically enhanced infantry you will start to see autocannons doing a very good job, as they'll chew through enemy PA/GE infantry and light vehicles much better than the anti personnel weaponry that generally lacks the punch to deal with the extra armour and hitpoints those units have, while having a much better firing rate.

Less than you'd think. I ran the numbers with infantry at 2 armour and 2 HP (which I think is max for both PA and GE). The most efficient killer of them is LAV at 19%, followed by MAC at 15%, HCAP and HB at 13%, HAC and LB at 11%, and LAC and MB at 10%. (Attacking LV, it's unchanged from my above post, so ACs are again mediocre). At any lower level of PA/GE than x2 armor/x2 HP, either CAP or HCAP is the most efficient. Playing around with it, I still feel like my proposed solution is fairly balanced.

LAV-equipped infantry is more damaging than a LAC- or MAC-equipped LV against literally every target type if your target is using upgraded infantry. It's slightly worse than a HAC against medium vehicles and heavier, but only slightly. And this isn't a surprise - LAV infantry is 16 tons, so 3 of them is 48 tons to get you 3x 2/3 shots. A LAC-equipped LV is 36 tons for 3x 1.25/2 shots. That's almost as big a unit, firing an equal number of shots, but the shots are far less powerful. Similarly, a MAC-equipped LV is 60 tons for 3x 3/2 shots, which is equal firepower to 3x LAV for most purposes, with higher weight.

The only advantage I can see for ACs is that the low damage numbers mean fairly low collateral damage. But it's not so much less that you can really plan around ACs as your "I want to take planets with low collateral damage" option. For example, I'd want HCAP instead of LAC for low-damage fighting, since it does 1/4 the collateral damage, but deals comparable damage against most targets. A HAC does similar damage to a MAV with about 1/3 the collateral damage, but it's also more than twice as large, uses twice the supplies, and needs a heavier vehicle to carry it.