Author Topic: Problem with harvester  (Read 1732 times)

Offline Robinsa (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • R
Problem with harvester
« on: June 02, 2010, 10:30:54 AM »
Ok, so I spent 2-3 hours looking through the forum for help and all the solutions Ive seen posted have not helped me.

I cant get my fuel harvesters to harvest sorium from uranus. Ive geosurveyed uranus and it says its got about 1 500 000 (0.9) sorium. I've had my harvesters move, extended orbit etc etc to Uranus but they refuse to start harvesting despite being below 10% fuel.

This is my harvester deisgn:
[table:10dnb18z][col:10dnb18z]Gold class Fuel Harvester    37800 tons     559 Crew     914.5 BP      TCS 756  TH 800  EM 0
1058 km/s     Armour 1-100     Shields 0-0     Sensors 1/1/0/0     Damage Control Rating 1     PPV 0
Maint Capacity 15 MSP    Max Repair 60 MSP
Cargo Handling Multiplier 10    
Fuel Harvester: 5 modules producing 160000 litres per annum

Nuclear Pulse Engine E1 (8)    Power 100    Fuel Use 10%    Signature 100    Armour 0    Exp 1%
Fuel Capacity 1?000?000 Litres    Range 476.1 billion km   (5208 days at full power)

CIWS-120 (1x2)    Range 1000 km     TS: 12000 km/s     ROF 5       Base 50% To Hit
This design is classed as a commercial vessel for maintenance purposes[/table:10dnb18z][/col:10dnb18z]
Any ideas on what possibly could be going on here?

(omg, I said I posted several time in an other thread.. turns out I just saved it all as drafts lol.. So sorry!)

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
Re: Problem with harvester
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2010, 04:54:34 PM »
"Extended orbit" is not "orbit" - it's too far to interact with the planet.  Simply give a "move to" command - that will put you into the equivalent of NUO (Near-Uranus-Orbit :-) ).

John

Offline Robinsa (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • R
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2010, 12:06:00 AM »
Quote from: "sloanjh"
"Extended orbit" is not "orbit" - it's too far to interact with the planet.  Simply give a "move to" command - that will put you into the equivalent of NUO (Near-Uranus-Orbit :-) ).

John
I might have expressed myself a bit clumsy here. What I meant is "Ive tried the move command - and even gone as far as to try the extended orbit command".

Im starting to think theres a problelm in my design? Is there a specific harvester module/fuel tank ratio that I could have broken or similar?

Thx Robin

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2010, 12:49:47 AM »
Are your fuel tanks full?

Offline Robinsa (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • R
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2010, 04:34:18 AM »
Quote from: "Erik Luken"
No, below 10% fuel.

Offline welchbloke

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2010, 05:29:47 AM »
Quote from: "Robinsa"
No, below 10% fuel.
I'm not sure if you get a message when harvesting starts, but have you left the ship in orbit for 5 days of game time?  Most resource calculations occur every 5 days and it may be that the you need to wait until the next round of calculations.
Welchbloke

Offline Robinsa (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • R
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2010, 05:32:30 AM »
Quote from: "welchbloke"
No, below 10% fuel.
I'm not sure if you get a message when harvesting starts, but have you left the ship in orbit for 5 days of game time? Most resource calculations occur every 5 days and it may be that the you need to wait until the next round of calculations.
Yes, Ive run several + 30 days increments.

Also, I do get "error 94 - Invalid use of null"  when I run longer increments.

Could this possibly be related?

Offline welchbloke

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2010, 05:37:28 AM »
I'm not sure if you get a message when harvesting starts, but have you left the ship in orbit for 5 days of game time? Most resource calculations occur every 5 days and it may be that the you need to wait until the next round of calculations.

For which function? Generally speaking I would use 1 day increments rather than 30 day increments.
Welchbloke

Offline Robinsa (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • R
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2010, 05:39:22 AM »

For which function? Generally speaking I would use 1 day increments rather than 30 day increments.
Yes, Ive made a copy of the original save and now I only try to solve this single problem. Hence, I just run increments that I know "will do the job". ;)

Offline Robinsa (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • R
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2010, 05:48:59 AM »
Ok, so it started gulping fuel now. Not sure what I did but it seems to be working now.. guess i just was impatient and changed the modes of the harvesters before it even got the chance to begin? Strange though, since Im sure Ive waited several 30 days increments. Maybe that was on bad settings...

Thx a lot for the help everyone.. sorry to have wasted you time with this! :)

//Robin

Offline welchbloke

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2010, 05:51:47 AM »
Ok, so it started gulping fuel now. Not sure what I did but it seems to be working now.. guess i just was impatient and changed the modes of the harvesters before it even got the chance to begin? Strange though, since Im sure Ive waited several 30 days increments. Maybe that was on bad settings...

Welchbloke

Offline Robinsa (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • R
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2010, 05:55:59 AM »

Yeah. Rebuilding them is no problem but I wouldnt like to go though this process again so I will indeed protect with my life (read: the life of my minions)!  :)

Offline Meridian

• Leading Rate
  • M
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2010, 10:14:54 AM »
Sorry but how do I get to harvest Fuel from planets?
I got a message saying that the fuel tanks are over 90% full. Does this mean I have to deplete a certain amount of fuel before I can start to harvest?

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2010, 10:44:42 AM »
Quote from: "Meridian"
Sorry but how do I get to harvest Fuel from planets?
I got a message saying that the fuel tanks are over 90% full. Does this mean I have to deplete a certain amount of fuel before I can start to harvest?

If your fuel tanks are full there's no place to put the fuel, so yes, you have to have capacity in the tanks.

BTW, I assume by "planets" you mean "gas giants" - I'm pretty sure they don't work on rocky bodies....

John