Author Topic: Can't understand galactic map colonization icons (bug?)  (Read 1571 times)

Offline admirala (OP)

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • a
Can't understand galactic map colonization icons (bug?)
« on: August 29, 2013, 07:12:46 AM »
I can figure out most things between the wiki and forum, but I can't understand what's wrong with the colonization icons on my Galactic Map.

One system has a blue dot in a system that only shows a single world of 75+ cost.  There's only a single star and it's only been explored through the wormhole--no ship has entered yet.

Other systems I think should be showing blue dots (I've researched Col Cost -5% and they show 1. 9 on my Potential Colonies list) show dots as if those were 2-2. 9 suitability worlds.

I just don't get the logic here.  It doesn't seem to fit what the ingame Galactic Map info implies should be happening at all.  Is there a simple explanation I've missed?

FWIW, I'm running the newest portable launcher files.

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
Re: Can't understand galactic map colonization icons (bug?)
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2013, 08:09:48 AM »
I can figure out most things between the wiki and forum, but I can't understand what's wrong with the colonization icons on my Galactic Map.

One system has a blue dot in a system that only shows a single world of 75+ cost.  There's only a single star and it's only been explored through the wormhole--no ship has entered yet.

Other systems I think should be showing blue dots (I've researched Col Cost -5% and they show 1. 9 on my Potential Colonies list) show dots as if those were 2-2. 9 suitability worlds.

I just don't get the logic here.  It doesn't seem to fit what the ingame Galactic Map info implies should be happening at all.  Is there a simple explanation I've missed?

FWIW, I'm running the newest portable launcher files.

Check moons.

Offline Black

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • B
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
    2024 Supporter 2024 Supporter : Donate for 2024
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2013, 08:38:32 AM »
I think that there is a bug with asteroids with gravity >0.1. They are shown as low cost colony on galactic map.

Offline admirala (OP)

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • a
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2013, 09:59:00 PM »
Quote from: Black link=topic=6403. msg65430#msg65430 date=1377783512
I think that there is a bug with asteroids with gravity >0. 1.  They are shown as low cost colony on galactic map.

No moons, but I found the asteroid that must be the issue.  Is there any way to delete it or change the gravity so this doesn't happen?

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2013, 10:03:34 AM »
No moons, but I found the asteroid that must be the issue.  Is there any way to delete it or change the gravity so this doesn't happen?

IIRC, there's a "Delete Body button on the system screen in SM mode".  Is the point that it's not really cost-zero?

John

Offline kks

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2013, 11:31:26 AM »

Maybe the Galactic Map doesn't use colony cost reduction tech but looks what the planet's base colony cost is. This would explain why the 2.0 worlds (good temperature, but no suitable atmosphere) are light blue instead of dark blue. So only worlds with a CC of <2.0 before the colony cost reduction is calculated in would show dark blue.
That way someone could still see the difference between worlds, as dark blue worlds usually only need temperature adjustments.

Also I myself had a problem with the asteroids in a game. I assume that while they can't be colonized, they still show as a suitable colony dot in the galactic screen. The particular race were methane breathers living on low gravity planets. As some larger asteroids would have a suitable gravity, but asteroids aren't colonizable due to performance reasons (AFAIK), systems (nebulae) with nothing but a few asteroids would still show a few light blue dots on the galactic map.