Author Topic: New Player Playthrough  (Read 1825 times)

Offline InquisitorJL (OP)

• Able Ordinary Rate
New Player Playthrough
« on: January 04, 2016, 02:28:25 AM »
Hey there, I'm a new(ish) player.  I've poked at this game on and off over the years but never really gotten beyond the various tutorials out there because I've not until recently had a monitor big enough to comfortably play the game in, and while I actually rather like the interface to this game, that just made it too hard to use.

Now I have a big enough monitor, and reminded I have this game by quill18's recently starting a lets play I was thinking of doing a text playthrough on the forum, focusing on the new player experience.  I'm not really looking to do a story, but more focus on my attempts at strategic thought while learning the mechanics and interface.  Part of the idea would hopefully be that I could highlight issues I had trying to work out how to do something or having something outright fail and then more experienced players could comment on stuff, both to help me then and there and as something other new players in the future could read through and learn about problems they are likely to encounter, and also perhaps provide a source of highlighting what aspects of the game can be particularly difficult to get your head around.

So, some questions

• Do you think this is a good idea? Would people benefit from it or would it just cause a lot of clutter
  • Where should I put this if I do it? Here in the academy, or down in the story section? Again I'm not intending to focus on telling a story, and don't really imagine I'd poke around at all with the SM tools making a good story seems to require, at least not until I'm far more comfortable with the game as a whole
  • Anything in particular you would suggest or like to see from a playthrough like this?

Offline Sematary

• Commodore
Re: New Player Playthrough
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2016, 06:07:27 AM »
 1. Great idea.

2. Fiction would be the best place to put it.

3. Transnewtonian start would be easiest.

Offline Prince of Space

• Lieutenant
  • We like it very much.
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2016, 11:52:21 AM »
I second everything Sematary said.

I think it would be a great idea to chronicle a new player's confusion. It could give the rest of us a reminder of what it was like to struggle through the beginnings of the learning curve, which would help in dispensing comprehensible advice to other rookies.

Offline Mor

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2016, 03:07:04 PM »
I am not sure where you should put it, but agree with the above comments, maybe just give it ago and see where it goes.

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2016, 03:26:10 PM »
Some AARs are not fictionalized much, if at all. So the Aurora fiction forum is good. If you are uncomfortable with that, then Aurora Chat. Or if you go with a more tutorial bent (explaining hotkeys used, menus, etc.) then I'd say Academy.

Offline voteslave

• Chief Petty Officer
  • v
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2016, 02:44:52 AM »
as a new player i would much prefer to see a conventional start so all the important starting techs and processes are covered

thanks

Offline Haji

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2016, 05:10:11 AM »
3. Transnewtonian start would be easiest.

For me conventional start was easier. When I started a normal TN game I ended up not knowing what to use various technologies for and if I left ship design to the computer, I ended up not understanding why the ship existed in a particular form and how to use it. Conventional start may seem more difficult but it allows a new player to better ease into using the technologies to design a ship. Not a good one, but at least one that the player knows how to use.

Offline Zincat

• Captain
  • Z
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2016, 05:17:27 AM »
For me conventional start was easier. When I started a normal TN game I ended up not knowing what to use various technologies for and if I left ship design to the computer, I ended up not understanding why the ship existed in a particular form and how to use it. Conventional start may seem more difficult but it allows a new player to better ease into using the technologies to design a ship. Not a good one, but at least one that the player knows how to use.

Agreed. Starting with a trans-newtonian empire can be extremely confusing to a new player. Just think of the need to design many ships right from the start, while not knowing anything!

With conventional start, you have no choice but to start things slowly and add up little bits time by time