Author Topic: Newb question Survey Fleet  (Read 1745 times)

Offline gtgiygus (OP)

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • g
Newb question Survey Fleet
« on: January 26, 2016, 06:53:22 PM »
OK, first off, very new at this, maybe 2 hours experience.   I will be as brief as I can, but I suspect I am missing something simple.

I started the game with the computer generating starting ships for me.   I found the geo-survey vessel and built three.  After some fumbling, I figured out how to move them from Shipyard fleet into Survey fleet, and gave them the survey "next 5 system bodies" mission. 

I advanced one day, and they flew to the moon together, and the UI said they needed 137 survey points.   I advanced one day again, and no change.   I advanced 30 days and no change.   Another, and an accident occurred that required one ship to use 100 maintenance supplies, leaving them with 47 left, but no survey points.

Any idea why they are not generating the points needed to survey the moon?

Offline 83athom

• Big Ship Commander
  • Vice Admiral
Re: Newb question Survey Fleet
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2016, 06:56:22 AM »
Separate them into individual ships using the detach button on the bottom right.

And the accident was a maintenance failure. Can you post the design by copy and pasting it to the forum (Ctrl + C from the ships design window because you cant right click)? Because Geo-survey ships should be commercial meaning they don't have maintenance failures.
Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Offline gtgiygus (OP)

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • g
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2016, 11:16:20 AM »
OK, thanks for reply.

I detached all three from each other, and hit the geo survey button for each.   They picked new locations and zoomed off to 3 different bodies.   They stopped there, and each say they need 1 SP to complete.   I advance the time, and they do not seem to generate any survey points at all, so it does not seem to be fixed.   I also don't think they surveyed the moon.

Here is the specs in the build screen.   Note I was able to right click to copy this.

Coontz class Survey Ship    3 100 tons     67 Crew     365. 55 BP      TCS 62  TH 102  EM 0
1645 km/s    JR 3-50     Armour 1-18     Shields 0-0     Sensors 1/1/1/0     Damage Control Rating 2     PPV 0
Maint Life 3. 54 Years     MSP 147    AFR 38%    IFR 0. 5%    1YR 18    5YR 270    Max Repair 100 MSP
Intended Deployment Time: 24 months    Spare Berths 2   

J4500(3-50) Military Jump Drive     Max Ship Size 4500 tons    Distance 50k km     Squadron Size 3
34 EP Nuclear Pulse Engine (3)    Power 34    Fuel Use 56. 95%    Signature 34    Exp 8%
Fuel Capacity 800 000 Litres    Range 81. 6 billion km   (573 days at full power)

Gravitational Survey Sensors (1)   1 Survey Points Per Hour

This design is classed as a Military Vessel for maintenance purposes

Offline 83athom

• Big Ship Commander
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2016, 11:21:30 AM »
I found your problem. This isn't a Geological survey ship, this is a Gravitational survey ship. Gravitational survey ships are military, and they cannot survey planets. They are for surveying survey locations out farther in the system to find Jump Points.
Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Offline gtgiygus (OP)

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • g
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2016, 01:22:31 PM »
That makes me feel dumb  :P

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2016, 01:26:51 PM »
No.... dumb is forgetting to load your magazines and realizing when you are about to engage the enemy :)

The following users thanked this post: sloanjh

Offline boggo2300

• Registered
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2016, 06:19:56 PM »
or forgetting to put a Mass Driver on Earth to catch the incoming mineral packets...
The boggosity of the universe tends towards maximum.