Author Topic: Galaxy Map lining  (Read 1278 times)

Offline Rich.h (OP)

• Captain
  • R
Galaxy Map lining
« on: February 02, 2016, 06:44:43 AM »
I'm wondering exactly how folk go about getting their galaxy maps to line up neatly? I know we have the save positions and the grid size part of the map, but I am not quite sure exactly how grid size and line up functions? Do folks simply endure an unpleasant task of manually moving every system to fit inside an imaginary square/hex grid? Or is there a way of using grid size and line up to do this for you?

Offline 83athom

• Big Ship Commander
  • Vice Admiral
Re: Galaxy Map lining
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2016, 07:16:16 AM »
A higher number means a smaller grid spacing, so use a low number to get them lined up. I usually don't bother with aligning to an evenly spaced grid, but I might try it in v7.2. I would also love a toggle for "show grid" was available on the galaxy map, and it would display the grid of the current size selected.
Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Offline db48x

• Commodore
  • d
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2016, 08:26:23 AM »
A higher number means a smaller grid spacing, so use a low number to get them lined up.

No, the number is the size of the grid, the distance between two properly lined-up systems.

I agree that it's a bit tedious though. It works by just rounding down the coordinates to the next grid point, which makes it easy to misplace a system and have it collapse down to the same position as a previous system. Always place the system above and to the left of the grid position where you want it to go and the line-up button will put it in the right spot.

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2016, 09:13:27 AM »
I use the old eyeball protractor.
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "