Author Topic: 2.5 Suggestions  (Read 8857 times)

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
(No subject)
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2008, 09:58:18 AM »
Quote from: "Erik Luken"
Quote from: "sloanjh"
And "hailing" - being able to announce a TG to another race (so that it's "auto-detected").  It's actually hard to arrange a rendezvouz without this.

John

Hand in hand with this, have the hails be unintelligible on the race's event log unless they have established communications. (I don't know if you do this yet or not, the SDW survey ships fled before anyone made contact).

Ooooh - I'd just been thinking in terms of boosting the signature to a bazillion.  Hadn't thought of sending actual messages (although since it's a solo game not sure this actually needs to be handled through game mechanics).

John
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by sloanjh »

Offline Erik L (OP)

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
(No subject)
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2008, 01:02:18 PM »
Change the event log to be consistent when giving numbers of officers.

I.E. 523rd Fregattenkapitan Alfred Fleischer has been promoted to Kapitan zur Stern.
One Thousand, Threee Hundred and Third Korvettenkapitan Matthias Knapp has developed a severe medical problem... etc.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Erik Luken »

Offline Erik L (OP)

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
(No subject)
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2008, 06:27:30 PM »
Quote from: "Father Tim"
Make the Auto-assign feature part of the game setup and make it global.

I'm not so sure about that.  For a solo campaign (a la Rigellian Diary) I think I'd set the NPC races to auto-assign, but leave 'my' race under manual control.  Certainly I'd like the option.

How about if it's set/unset in the game options, that's a global toggle, but on the Commander screen you can toggle per race.

Offline Erik L (OP)

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
(No subject)
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2008, 06:29:33 PM »
And "hailing" - being able to announce a TG to another race (so that it's "auto-detected").  It's actually hard to arrange a rendezvouz without this.

John

Hand in hand with this, have the hails be unintelligible on the race's event log unless they have established communications. (I don't know if you do this yet or not, the SDW survey ships fled before anyone made contact).
Ooooh - I'd just been thinking in terms of boosting the signature to a bazillion.  Hadn't thought of sending actual messages (although since it's a solo game not sure this actually needs to be handled through game mechanics).

John

If you have a contact targeted, one of your available orders is "Send Message". This is a 255 character limit. I see it basically as "Hail Alien Vessel. This is the SDS Graf Spee." type of thing. Then for RP/story purposes, if it's programmatically munged up, you don't need to munge it yourself. ;)

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
(No subject)
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2008, 06:36:24 AM »
Quote from: "Father Tim"
Make the Auto-assign feature part of the game setup and make it global.

I'm not so sure about that.  For a solo campaign (a la Rigellian Diary) I think I'd set the NPC races to auto-assign, but leave 'my' race under manual control.  Certainly I'd like the option.

How about if it's set/unset in the game options, that's a global toggle, but on the Commander screen you can toggle per race.

That would be great.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Father Tim »

Offline Erik L (OP)

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
(No subject)
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2008, 09:32:42 AM »
Not sure of the formula you use to determine who gets assigned during the auto-assign phase, but if you don't you should include Political Reliability in the formula.

Offline Erik L (OP)

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
(No subject)
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2008, 03:33:53 PM »
For the message order, can we get tokens? For example, a %s in the message would be replaced with the system name, %t would be date/time, etc.

Offline Erik L (OP)

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
(No subject)
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2008, 03:45:03 PM »
The advanced versions of weapons are researchable without the "base" tech. For example the SDW is researching Adv Neutron Torp, but does not even have Ion Torp yet.

Offline Erik L (OP)

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
(No subject)
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2008, 01:00:04 PM »
Similar to the Fast OOB screen where you put in suggested values. Do the same for Fighters and Ordnance.

Offline Charlie Beeler

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
Fighter related suggestions
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2008, 10:17:03 AM »
link to mechanics discussion from last year.  http://aurora.pentarch.org/viewtopic.php?p=7376&highlight=#7376

Additional suggestion:

Allow fighters the option to fire less than an alpha strike.  (ie fighters are loaded with 4 missiles to be able to select to fire 1, 2,3, or all 4)  This would allow for mixed loads on fighters.  

Say you have a heavy fighter squadron of 10 fighters that each have 12 rails per fighter.  Your engaging a flotilla of destroyers.  An alpha strike from this squadron should be massive overkill for a single destroyer, dependent on the loadout of course.  The ability to select less than an alpha would allow the option of engaging multiple targets (not in the same fire order) successively from a single loadout.

Or

You have a "multi-role" fighter that you load partially with longer ranged missiles for anti-shipping and partially with shorter ranged anti-fighter missiles.  Yes, I've been able to engage fighter to fighter with missiles successfully.

Another idea I've had is for a second type of point defense that has conditional controls for fighter defense instead of missile defense.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Charlie Beeler »
Amateurs study tactics, Professionals study logistics - paraphrase attributed to Gen Omar Bradley

Offline Valhawk

• Leading Rate
(No subject)
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2008, 04:05:37 AM »
I would love the ability to turn off precursor ruins.  Is there a flag in the database to prevent them from being discovered or added to planet during random generation?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Valhawk »

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
Re: Fighter related suggestions
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2008, 05:16:13 AM »
Quote from: "Charlie Beeler"
link to mechanics discussion from last year.  http://aurora.pentarch.org/viewtopic.php?p=7376&highlight=#7376
I have added your points from last year's post to my reply. Please check out my post on proposed new fighter rules because I think they will probably include many of your suggestions.

http://aurora.pentarch.org/viewtopic.php?t=998

1) Is there a way to issue conditional combat orders? I found how to tell the task group to try to standoff at X range in the TG screen. But nothing similiar to when you reach range XX fire Z weapon. It appears to be fire or hold fire, when fire execution being dependent on whether your within weapons and fire control range and have a sensor lock.
With the proposed fighter rules, you can give the same orders and conditional orders as you can for ships. I could add an open fire order to the fleet orders list that will function like any other order. The problem may be that if you have low initiative, you might move before your opponent and activate weapons then find he has moved out of range before you actually fire. Commanders with high initiative can help this but its not a sure thing. It doesn't matter with beam weapons because they won't fire if they are out of range. Missiles will fire though because they may be in flight for a minute or more and there is no way for the program to know your intent. You might be firing on a closing target or firing to keep an enemy away. The best way is to wait until after moves and then activate weapons. The F8 combat overview window has a button that will open fire with every weapon in a fleet with a single click.

In fighter construction I see that Sensors can be constructed into the fighter but appear to have no effect other than to take space. Actual function appears to be dependent on the carrier only. What have I missed?

As you noted in the original thread, fighter sensors are affected by thermal sensor technology. Under the proposed fighter rules, they would use the same sensors and same mechanics as every other ship.

3) Do fighters have the same ability to be issued a standoff range as the task group?

4) It appears that fighters cannot be pre-loaded for an initial sortie. The ability to seperate arming/fueling from luanch orders would be useful and probably already there, I just haven't figured it out yet. (ie I get a sensor contact and want to ready my strike group but not launch since it could be hours before I'm in fighter range)

5) Allow fighters the option to fire less than an alpha strike.  (ie fighters are loaded with 4 missiles to be able to select to fire 1, 2,3, or all 4)  This would allow for mixed loads on fighters.  

Say you have a heavy fighter squadron of 10 fighters that each have 12 rails per fighter.  Your engaging a flotilla of destroyers.  An alpha strike from this squadron should be massive overkill for a single destroyer, dependent on the loadout of course.  The ability to select less than an alpha would allow the option of engaging multiple targets (not in the same fire order) successively from a single loadout.

Or

You have a "multi-role" fighter that you load partially with longer ranged missiles for anti-shipping and partially with shorter ranged anti-fighter missiles.  Yes, I've been able to engage fighter to fighter with missiles successfully.
All the above is possible with the new rules

Another idea I've had is for a second type of point defense that has conditional controls for fighter defense instead of missile defense.

That's a very good idea. I'll have to look at the mechanics but it would fit in well with the proposed rules for fighters

Steve
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Steve Walmsley »

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
(No subject)
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2008, 05:19:22 AM »
Similar to the Fast OOB screen where you put in suggested values. Do the same for Fighters and Ordnance.

I have added the ability to add Ordnance as part of ship creation. Ordnance can already be added to pops in SM mode on the Industrial Production tab.

If I go ahead with the new fighter rules, you will be able to add fighters in the same way as ships.

Steve

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
(No subject)
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2008, 05:39:53 AM »
I have changed the Missile Design window so you can add the various elements in sections of 0.25 HS instead of 0.5 HS

Steve

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
(No subject)
« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2008, 08:19:43 AM »
1. Max rank for a design. I don't want my admirals puttering around in freighters.
Because of the way I have coded the auto-assign this is really difficult to do on a class by class basis. A much easier option would be to place a maximum overall rank on assignments.

2. Inclusion of staff assignments. After the auto-assigning, I need to go refill a few staff assignments.
I am looking at this now so I'll post when I complete the work

3. Some notification of the qualification of why said officer was put into said slot.
There is a notification in the officer history so I will add the same information to the event log.
4. Some way to lock out a slot from the auto-assigning.
You can click the Do Not End Tour option on the officer window to prevent his current assignment being ended and auto-assigned.
5. In addition to #3, if the officer was previously assigned, what the assignment was. I.E. 9th Captail Jamel Hazelton has been assigned to Antietam (Fleet Move Rating 159). Previous assignment commander Airedale.

This isn't very easy to do because only unassigned officers are auto-assigned. When an officer completes his tour he is returned to the pool. Sometimes he will be reassigned during the same turn though. However, If you want information on a promotion, just click on the event and it will open the details for the officer concerned.

Steve