Author Topic: First contact help  (Read 3331 times)

Offline Zeni (OP)

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • Z
First contact help
« on: February 17, 2014, 08:06:14 PM »
G'day everyone, as the title suggests I am after some help regarding my first contact with a (i think) NPR
After moving through a jump point, my initial discovery ship was attacked and destroyed by unknown hostiles, and the only information I could gather on them was their speed.
Is there a way I could scan their ships to get some more information? The Jump ship has both active and passive sensors but I had no idea how to gather some info.
Any pointers would be appreciated  :)

Offline Theodidactus

• Registered
  • Commodore
Re: First contact help
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2014, 08:31:38 PM »
This sorta drive-by space mugging scenario has happened to me too and I would also like some help.
My Theodidactus, now I see that you are excessively simple of mind and more gullible than most. The Crystal Sphere you seek cannot be found in nature, look about you...wander the whole cosmos, and you will find nothing but the clear sweet breezes of the great ethereal ocean enclosed not by any bound

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2014, 08:35:33 PM »
Generally the most simple information you'll get about enemy ships is from the exact first contact you described, Any passive or active sensor that detects the ship would tell you their speed, Thermal sensors would detect their drive size (you can estimate tonnage from drive size and speed you need to guess their tech level though), EM sensors would detect their active sensor or and shield strength, active sensors would detect the tonnage, when your ship explodes you can usually determine how it's armed, what strength warhead etc if you include a small resolution 1 sensor you could also find out the speed of their missiles (as long as it can detect the missile at least a whole increment before the ship explodes.
More information requires prolonged contact with the enemy, you can usually find out the enemys maximum speed if/when they run after you try to intercept it with high speed fighters or FACs, or even your other ships if they happen to be faster than the enemy. Note they'll usually only run if they're out of missiles and arent beam armed.
I believe you can get other information that shows up on the intelligence window but I'm not too familiar with it.

TLDR: you need bigger (more costly) sensors
« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 08:37:51 PM by MarcAFK »
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "

Offline Zeni (OP)

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • Z
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2014, 09:49:51 PM »
MarcAFK Thanks for the help! I will go update my sensors.

Offline bean

• Rear Admiral
  • b
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2014, 08:59:48 AM »
Thermal sensors would detect their drive size (you can estimate tonnage from drive size and speed you need to guess their tech level though)
Actually, their tech level is irrelevant.  The formula is simply Size (in HS) = (Engine Output/Speed)*1000.  This only doesn't work if the enemy is using engine stealth, which doesn't happen very often.
This is Excel-in-Space, not Wing Commander - Rastaman

Offline ollobrains

• Commander
  • o
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2014, 02:21:38 AM »
research up cloaking, throw a cloak on youre survey ship sneak into the system cloak and then u can maintain diplomatic contact and let intelligence teams gather intel etc

Offline bean

• Rear Admiral
  • b
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2014, 11:33:24 AM »
research up cloaking, throw a cloak on youre survey ship sneak into the system cloak and then u can maintain diplomatic contact and let intelligence teams gather intel etc
I'm not sure how well that would work.  He should be able (in theory) to make diplomatic contact based on the fact that he's detected them.  Cloaking is expensive, and intel teams require you to be able to reach the planet without getting blown up.  That's unlikely here.
This is Excel-in-Space, not Wing Commander - Rastaman

Offline SteelChicken

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2014, 12:00:57 PM »
Once you see one of their ships or planets you can start diplomatic contact, assign teams, etc.  A stealth ship is only if you want more tactical info.