Author Topic: So Distant Worlds 2 ae...  (Read 7169 times)

Offline Froggiest1982 (OP)

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • F
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
So Distant Worlds 2 ae...
« on: December 18, 2020, 04:43:03 PM »
I have seen few members on the Matrix forum and post dedicated to DW2, so I thought we may start a conversation here too.

For those wondering or not yet knowing about the game info are here: https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4737033

The following users thanked this post: papent

Offline vorpal+5

• Commodore
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
Re: So Distant Worlds 2 ae...
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2020, 11:56:28 PM »
It shapes up very very nicely!

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2020, 06:21:16 AM »
My only worry is that the emphasis on 3d models that change with components is going to overall restrict the designer more than that of the 1st game.
However even assuming that is true its not that far behind. I'm hopeful so far for distant worlds 2.

Offline TheTalkingMeowth

• Captain
  • T
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2020, 09:43:20 AM »
My only worry is that the emphasis on 3d models that change with components is going to overall restrict the designer more than that of the 1st game.
However even assuming that is true its not that far behind. I'm hopeful so far for distant worlds 2.
The dev mentioned in the linked thread that the slot limits are very generous; you generally won't have the hull space available to fill out all available engine or weapon slots, so it shouldn't be terribly restrictive.

Supposedly a big announcement coming in January....

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2020, 09:45:29 AM »
The dev mentioned in the linked thread that the slot limits are very generous; you generally won't have the hull space available to fill out all available engine or weapon slots, so it shouldn't be terribly restrictive.

I kinda feel bad for the 3d modelers then lol. It must be a pain having to model every possible configuration for weapons / engines. At least most components are internal so they wont have to be modelled.

Offline Zincat

• Captain
  • Z
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2020, 10:25:16 AM »
I'm sort of looking forward to this. I loved distant worlds... but it was quite buggy towards the end of games, and it does not work with modern windows 10 either.

How do I put it... I don't want to get burned so I won't hope TOO much. And hope I'm wrong and it's great  ;D ;D

Offline TheTalkingMeowth

• Captain
  • T
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2020, 10:36:49 AM »

I kinda feel bad for the 3d modelers then lol. It must be a pain having to model every possible configuration for weapons / engines. At least most components are internal so they wont have to be modelled.

Eh, from a modeling perspective it's probably no worse than what Stellaris has. So may occasionally smeg itself, but is otherwise accessible enough that even hobbyists can make custom ones.

You just model the components separately from the hull and glue them on programmatically.

I'm sort of looking forward to this. I loved distant worlds... but it was quite buggy towards the end of games, and it does not work with modern windows 10 either.

How do I put it... I don't want to get burned so I won't hope TOO much. And hope I'm wrong and it's great  ;D ;D
I've definitely played DWU on Windows 10...though I guess I'm missing one of those big updates they did a year or two back (installed on external harddrive and Windows refuses to do non security updates in that mode).

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2020, 01:26:08 PM »

I play distant world universe through steam on windows 10 consistently and stably. This is despite me having a modpack installed.

Offline Zincat

• Captain
  • Z
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2020, 02:48:11 PM »

I play distant world universe through steam on windows 10 consistently and stably. This is despite me having a modpack installed.
Lucky you. I have the GOG version and it won't work. Apparently it's somethig related to the 20/04 win10 update.

Everything I tried didn't work. I tried installing it again, I tried following a huge amount of suggestions, messing with inis, reinstalling .net frameworks, reinstalling directx, launching the exe with arguments.... It just won't work. And if you'll read the forums or the gog page, I'm not the only one.

It's really a bummer honestly.

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2020, 02:51:48 PM »

Lucky you. I have the GOG version and it won't work. Apparently it's somethig related to the 20/04 win10 update.

Everything I tried didn't work. I tried installing it again, I tried following a huge amount of suggestions, messing with inis, reinstalling .net frameworks, reinstalling directx, launching the exe with arguments.... It just won't work. And if you'll read the forums or the gog page, I'm not the only one.

It's really a bummer honestly.

That makes me wonder what the difference between the steam and GOG version is.

Offline Zincat

• Captain
  • Z
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2020, 03:23:14 PM »

Well, actually I just thought of this...  Does the modpack you use also has an included exe? Maybe the game works because of that? Would you mind linking it to me, just in case?

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2020, 04:40:20 PM »

Well, actually I just thought of this...  Does the modpack you use also has an included exe? Maybe the game works because of that? Would you mind linking it to me, just in case?

Ok so I use Baconmod with Das Chromes mod mod for it with retreatUE. The good news is that Baconmod is in fact a modified exe mod.

The above is dasTactics installation instruction video but the description to it also has all the relevant links that you need to install the whole thing, in particular: https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4481684

Those are the instructions that I followed and my game launches and runs. I hope this actually works for you.

Offline Castinar

• Petty Officer
  • C
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2020, 01:03:52 AM »

The Beta will begin in January (barring any last minute set-backs).   Been following this for....well, since DW:Universe :)

Offline Froggiest1982 (OP)

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • F
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2020, 01:28:58 AM »

This is actually one of the things I like the most followed by the scale of things. I don't know if you have actually noted that it looks really big. I mean I have seen screens where the planets are like 30 times bigger (maybe more) than the stations once zoomed-in which for an RTS it's huge.

Offline vorpal+5

• Commodore
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2020, 04:09:02 AM »
Indeed, I'm pleasantly surprised by the more realistic sense of scale!