Author Topic: How do I get my grav survey ships to actually survey the grav points?  (Read 2406 times)

Offline Panpiper (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • P
I built a pair of survey ships with both geosurvey and gravsurvey modules. They happily surveyed every planet, moon, asteroid and comet in my system, but no combination of orders I can find will get them to survey the grav points. What am I doing wrong? Is there an order buried somewhere that I cannot see?

Offline Zap0

• Captain
Re: How do I get my grav survey ships to actually survey the grav points?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2021, 01:29:05 PM »
These are the standing orders for geo and grav survey.

You can also manually survey a point by displaying "survey locations" above the orders list giving an order to survey one of them, gravitational survey is an order in their list.

The following users thanked this post: Panpiper

Offline Panpiper (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • P
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2021, 02:06:31 PM »
Thank you. That did the trick. It was also 'entirely' inobvious.

Offline Froggiest1982

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • F
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2021, 02:48:28 PM »
Thank you. That did the trick. It was also 'entirely' inobvious.

I think that Zap0 is on an old version as he started a campaign he could not cancel for our enjoyment.

With the above in mind if you do have 1.12 (and you should) the orders suggested will require tons of micro management. Steve added different commands you can see below:

If you do have ships with Both Grav and Geo sensors on the highlighted command will get your ships to start surveying either a geo or grav depending of how far the locations are. Once finished the ship will move to any system that does have at least one body to be geosurveyed.

If you do chose the penciled options instead once finished the ship will move to any system that does have at least one location to be gravsurveyed.

It is worth noting that the command is exclusive and therefore it could happen that one system may have no body to survey (it's empty) so I do ALWAYS use the Gravsurvey Option to ensure ships are actually visiting all unsurveyed systems, however, it did happen one or 2 times that gravsurvey was completed earlier than geo leaving me no option that to send manually some ships if they were stationed outside the system, otherwise everything should work fine until everything is surveyed and they move on.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2021, 02:55:55 PM by froggiest1982 »

The following users thanked this post: Panpiper

Offline Zap0

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2021, 04:20:30 PM »
I think that Zap0 is on an old version as he started a campaign he could not cancel for our enjoyment.

Yup, I'm still on 1.11, wasn't sure if that feature was in 1.12 or the upcoming 1.13. It's best not to think too much about the things I don't have >.<

Another thing, the standing orders will only set paths to bodies up to 10b away from them, so they won't waste time chasing after impossibly far away companion stars and the like. That's often the reason why you get a message about a system being "fully surveyed", but showing less than 100% geosurvey in the map.