Author Topic: Speed-up Suggestions  (Read 1967 times)

Offline Maeyanie (OP)

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • M
Speed-up Suggestions
« on: January 12, 2016, 08:59:30 PM »
Please forgive me if these have been mentioned before; I didn't see anything looking over the recent suggestions, but there are a lot of pages to check.  These are roughly sorted in ascending order of how much work they'd take.

- I seem to recall reading the slowest part of processing a turn is processing sensor detection.  What might help would be to take away the 1 free point of EM and Thermal sensors, especially from civilian ships, and skip those entirely when processing a turn.  It would greatly reduce the number of ships to process.

- From what I can tell, most of the time processing turns is spent in database functions.  I'm not sure if there are any faster embedded DBs available for VB6 than the Jet SQL/Access one you're using, but if so, that could also significantly speed things up.

- Aurora is written in VB6, but have you tried compiling it with a more modern . NET version of VB? Most of the legacy functions are still there, even with the newer OO design layred over it.  This would definitely be the most work of the three, but, it might not be as difficult as it first sounds.

The following users thanked this post: Neceros

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
Re: Speed-up Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2016, 09:34:27 PM »
The sensor slowdown should be much better on the current version as you can set to either ignore or automatically detect all ships in any systems you aren't in, but I haven't tested it yet.
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "

Offline Maeyanie (OP)

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • M
Re: Speed-up Suggestions
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2016, 04:04:11 AM »
I've tried it, and it's better but still has problems once your civilian shipping gets going.   Version 7. 20 should be even better with the reduced civilian ship number, but still. . .  the sensitivity 1 sensors do very little good (aside from making sense, which admittedly does count for something) and skipping all civilian, most commercial, and some military ships from the sensor phase seems like it should be a fairly significant improvement.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2016, 04:12:10 AM by Maeyanie »