Author Topic: 3.2? Suggestions  (Read 4453 times)

Offline Randy

• Sub-Lieutenant
Re: 3.2? Suggestions
« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2008, 01:05:11 PM »
James wrote:
Something that would be handy to have is a way to have war games or mock battles, between two ships of your own design (or of a design that you know about from another party). This way you can weed out the truly bad designs from among your designed ranks. For instance, I haven't had any battles yet during my play of Aurora so I have no feel for the strengths or weaknesses of particular weapons or ship designs.
Something that would be handy to have is a way to have war games or mock battles, between two ships of your own design (or of a design that you know about from another party). This way you can weed out the truly bad designs from among your designed ranks. For instance, I haven't had any battles yet during my play of Aurora so I have no feel for the strengths or weaknesses of particular weapons or ship designs.

You can basically achieve this by just making a copy of your database, engaging in the combat, and then replacing with the pre-battle database to get back to peace :-)

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2008, 01:38:18 PM »
Quote from: "Randy"
You can basically achieve this by just making a copy of your database, engaging in the combat, and then replacing with the pre-battle database to get back to peace :-)

But it's not easily done between ships of your own design.

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2008, 02:40:54 PM »
Quote from: "Erik Luken"
Quote from: "Randy"

But it's not easily done between ships of your own design.
Not sure if it is in v3.1 but in v3.2 you can just transfer ships to another race on the Misc tab of the Ship window. Its a small section called Transfer Ship to Alien Empire with a list of race and a Transfer button. If you want to fight your own ships, create a "Training Race" and pass them some ships.

Steve

Offline Hagar

• Leading Rate
« Reply #33 on: November 05, 2008, 03:58:28 PM »
When can we expect Version 3.2 to be available?

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #34 on: November 06, 2008, 06:49:05 PM »
Quote from: "Hagar"
When can we expect Version 3.2 to be available?
Within the next few days. Almost all bugs are fixed (well, the ones I know about) and almost all new functionality has been tested. I was testing the new point defence changes today (where allied ships can protect one another and not shoot at each other's missiles) and they are working fine.

I have updated a few things today and this is a good a place as any to list them.

1) I fixed a problem where dust density reduced sensor strength to zero, instead of a minimum of one.
2) Added a minimum EM sensor strength of 1 to all ships (same as the minimum Thermal sensor strength of 1)
3) When icons are shown on the galactic map to show which systems have habitable planets, any improvements in colonization skill are ignored (otherwise all the 2.00 planets show as 1.9 or lower)
4) Conditional orders such as refuel, resupply and overhaul now remove all other orders when executed because they are likely to be no longer relevant when the ship shifts position so radically. This is to avoid survey ships returning to the next location on their order list when checking from their new location after refuelling would be much better

Steve

Offline Kurt

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • 2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #35 on: November 10, 2008, 11:52:53 AM »
Steve -

As I have noted over in my Six Powers Campaign posts, I am currently fighting out a planetary assault.  The Soviet Fleet is attacking an alien race, and has run into their planetary defenses.  The implications of what is going on there are wide reaching, and I'm going to have to think about this for a while.  However, this has raised something that I have been thinking about for a while.  

The aliens are launching missiles from their PDC's at the incoming Soviet fleet.  Each base has a launch capacity of ten missiles and has two fire controls (FC's).  Their plan of attack is to combine salvoes so that they can overwhelm the Soviet point defense.  While Aurora currently allows me to do that, it is cumbersome, and it got me thinking about the situation.  

As Aurora currently works, I assign missile launchers to an FC, which guides the missiles launched by that launcher to the target.  This includes every missile launched by that launcher that is currently active.  This is somewhat cumbersome, because I have to change the launcher FC assignments if I want to juggle the number of missiles assigned to an attack wave, and even then it is difficult.  

What I'd like to see is being able to assign missile salvoes directly to FC's, instead of launchers.  Launchers would still be assigned to FC's, but this would only affect the missiles they are currently launching, rather than missiles already launched.  This would also allow one ship to handle another's missiles, because once in space the FC assignments have nothing to do with the launchers.  Missile salvoes would be directly assigned to an FC, rather than through their launcher.  

Is this feasible, or would it be too difficult to change?

Kurt

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #36 on: November 13, 2008, 09:15:22 PM »
Quote from: "Kurt"
Steve -

As I have noted over in my Six Powers Campaign posts, I am currently fighting out a planetary assault.  The Soviet Fleet is attacking an alien race, and has run into their planetary defenses.  The implications of what is going on there are wide reaching, and I'm going to have to think about this for a while.  However, this has raised something that I have been thinking about for a while.  

The aliens are launching missiles from their PDC's at the incoming Soviet fleet.  Each base has a launch capacity of ten missiles and has two fire controls (FC's).  Their plan of attack is to combine salvoes so that they can overwhelm the Soviet point defense.  While Aurora currently allows me to do that, it is cumbersome, and it got me thinking about the situation.  

As Aurora currently works, I assign missile launchers to an FC, which guides the missiles launched by that launcher to the target.  This includes every missile launched by that launcher that is currently active.  This is somewhat cumbersome, because I have to change the launcher FC assignments if I want to juggle the number of missiles assigned to an attack wave, and even then it is difficult.  

What I'd like to see is being able to assign missile salvoes directly to FC's, instead of launchers.  Launchers would still be assigned to FC's, but this would only affect the missiles they are currently launching, rather than missiles already launched.  This would also allow one ship to handle another's missiles, because once in space the FC assignments have nothing to do with the launchers.  Missile salvoes would be directly assigned to an FC, rather than through their launcher.  

Is this feasible, or would it be too difficult to change?
I am fairly sure this is how it works now. When a missile is launched, it is linked to the fire control that was controlling the launcher from which it was fired. When that fire control switches targets, so does the missile. If you fire one salvo then assign the launchers to a different fire control and fire a second salvo at a different target, the two missile salvos should home on separate targets even though they were fired from the same launchers.

Steve