Author Topic: Bug Reports (Version 138 and up)  (Read 44341 times)

Offline Kyle (OP)

• Captain
  • K
  • Quasar4x dev
Bug Reports (Version 138 and up)
« on: July 27, 2021, 07:37:19 PM »
Please include as much information as possible when reporting bugs, including

- Screenshots
- Your game save
- Steps to reproduce
- Citations or screenshots of VB6 showing how it should work
« Last Edit: August 10, 2021, 05:00:19 AM by Kyle »

The following users thanked this post: Warer

Offline Warer

• Lieutenant
Re: Bug Reports (Version 138 and up)
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2021, 08:28:46 PM »
To break it the thread xp
Pretty simple trying to use System Maps freezes the game, either from the drop down menu or the System Information tab.

In addition the game starts off uncentered on the screen but shifting the taskbar recenters it.

I would post a screen shoot and the save but the internet is bad enough even downloading the game was an hour long ordeal and this an at least ten minute one.

My laptop has a to small screen, thought the shrink to fit screen works fine, the bug was occurring even then.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2021, 08:38:51 PM by Warer »

Offline Haji

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2021, 12:21:29 AM »
This is 1.37 bug, you asked for screenshots regarding fire control bug. Sorry but I can't be bothered to edit them, they are only as attachments. I can only attach four of them to I will be splitting this into two posts.
Screenshots 1 and 2 show the design of the search sensor and fire control. They have the same range so the moment incoming missiles are detected they should be within fire control range. The third screenshot shows the ship design while the fourth shows the fire control configuration of the ship. The rest in the next post with the other three screenshots.

Offline Haji

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2021, 12:24:08 AM »
Screenshot five shows missile detection. Screenshot six shows when the anti-missiles were actually fired. Screenshot seven shows the event log showing the anti-missiles were fired at a range of a little over a million kilometers, far shorter than they should. Not sure if it's the problem with automated anti-missile firing or with the anti-missile fire control range, but it didn't work that way in the original Aurora.
Thank you for your time.

Offline Kyle (OP)

• Captain
  • K
  • Quasar4x dev
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2021, 06:23:56 AM »
trying to use System Maps freezes the game, either from the drop down menu or the System Information tab.
The system map uses OpenGL shaders to draw orbits.  If it freezes or crashes, or you cant see the orbits, try updating your video drivers.

Offline Kyle (OP)

• Captain
  • K
  • Quasar4x dev
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2021, 06:47:21 AM »
Screenshot five shows missile detection. Screenshot six shows when the anti-missiles were actually fired. Screenshot seven shows the event log showing the anti-missiles were fired at a range of a little over a million kilometers, far shorter than they should. Not sure if it's the problem with automated anti-missile firing or with the anti-missile fire control range, but it didn't work that way in the original Aurora.
Thank you for your time.
Fixed in version 139 which is now live. Thanks!

Offline MinuteMan

• Petty Officer
  • M
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2021, 02:50:59 AM »
Hey @Kyle,

I've been trying version 142 and I'm encountering an issue regarding "auto turns".
Even though no interrupt message are happening, it does not continue the turns.

Enabling "no interrupts" actually works, but I want to be interrupted if necessary.

Context: New conventional start game. (tried twice, happened in both games)

Any Idea?

EDIT: after letting it run for a year or so with "no interrupts" it started working without it.
But once in a while it stops without notice. So is an NPR doing something? (Only sol system)
SM view (events) does not show any messages/notices.

EDIT 2: Generated a game without starting NPR, issue is not happening.
If you could add any kind of feedback/notice that the interrupt wasn't caused by the player empire, would be great.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2021, 03:18:59 AM by MinuteMan »

The following users thanked this post: Kyle

Offline iceball3

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2021, 12:14:50 PM »

Seems the tooltip in the Game Details window hasn't been updated, I think.

Offline Kyle (OP)

• Captain
  • K
  • Quasar4x dev
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2021, 12:49:13 PM »
Hey @Kyle,

I've been trying version 142 and I'm encountering an issue regarding "auto turns".
Even though no interrupt message are happening, it does not continue the turns.

Enabling "no interrupts" actually works, but I want to be interrupted if necessary.

Context: New conventional start game. (tried twice, happened in both games)

Any Idea?

EDIT: after letting it run for a year or so with "no interrupts" it started working without it.
But once in a while it stops without notice. So is an NPR doing something? (Only sol system)
SM view (events) does not show any messages/notices.

EDIT 2: Generated a game without starting NPR, issue is not happening.
If you could add any kind of feedback/notice that the interrupt wasn't caused by the player empire, would be great.

In Aurora VB6's database, the following events are marked as interruptible by NPRs:

Missile Launch
Target Hit
Ship Destroyed
Damage
Ship Slowed
Alien Fleets
Alien Population
New Thermal Contact
System Damaged
Mass Driver Attack
Population Surrender
Hostile Transit Detected
New Alien Race
Missile Intercepted
New Hostile Contact
Missile Contact
Shipyard Contact
Shields Detected
Active Sensor Detected
Population Detected
Ramming Attempt
Invalid Unload System

I believe these are flagged as NPR interruptible so that NPR's get a chance to react as quickly as possible with any strategy changes.  Soon I plan on making it so auto turns keeps processing after the NPR reacts to the event.

Seems the tooltip in the Game Details window hasn't been updated, I think.

Fixed in next version

The following users thanked this post: iceball3

Offline iceball3

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2021, 03:52:02 PM »
Oh, also, do anyone know if the SM start works presently? I've been trying to figure out how to get a custom start going and I'm probably missing a step, I'm not able to select the SM race from the economics window to do pre-empire creation terraforming. Can't seem to select the SM race from system maps window either.

Offline Kyle (OP)

• Captain
  • K
  • Quasar4x dev
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2021, 05:50:05 PM »
Oh, also, do anyone know if the SM start works presently? I've been trying to figure out how to get a custom start going and I'm probably missing a step, I'm not able to select the SM race from the economics window to do pre-empire creation terraforming. Can't seem to select the SM race from system maps window either.

I see a couple bugs in this process, I'll add it to my list to fix.  In the meantime, as a workaround you can start with the default Sol System Terran Federation, enable SM, use that to generate your custom system / race, set your new custom race to default, go to Race Details, and delete the original Terran Federation race.

The following users thanked this post: iceball3

Offline iceball3

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2021, 05:52:35 PM »

I see a couple bugs in this process, I'll add it to my list to fix.  In the meantime, as a workaround you can start with the default Sol System Terran Federation, enable SM, use that to generate your custom system / race, set your new custom race to default, go to Race Details, and delete the original Terran Federation race.
Much appreciated! Maybe I can drop a ruins on what's left of earth for extra fluff-potential too haha

Offline iceball3

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2021, 07:27:44 AM »
A possible bug in VB6-parity: the difficulty modifier in quasar caps at three digits (999), when I believe it was possible to set four digits, perhaps more in VB6.

Offline iceball3

• Captain
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2021, 02:48:51 PM »
Possibly abnormal gamestart behavior for a post-game-start new player empire: i started with an abnormally large naval shipyard, and no civilian shipyards.

Expected behavior: vb6 starts typically have an even spread of commercial and military shipyards, with the commercial one up towards the 5 digit range.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2021, 06:10:31 PM by iceball3 »

Offline Kyle (OP)

• Captain
  • K
  • Quasar4x dev
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2021, 10:47:31 AM »
Possibly abnormal gamestart behavior for a post-game-start new player empire: i started with an abnormally large naval shipyard, and no civilian shipyards.

Expected behavior: vb6 starts typically have an even spread of commercial and military shipyards, with the commercial one up towards the 5 digit range.
Yep, found a bug.  This will be fixed in the next version.  Meanwhile, you can use SM mode to change the type of the 84000 shipyard to commercial as intended.