Author Topic: Global Resource Modifier  (Read 2864 times)

Offline Ulzgoroth

• Captain
  • U
Re: Global Resource Modifier
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2020, 04:29:33 PM »
It doesn't seem out of line to employ the anthropic principle: civilizations without access to the TN minerals won't make it into the TN tech stage, so they're not playable and not significant players.

Even a non-TN start relies on a bunch of TN resources being available.

Offline QuakeIV

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2020, 10:51:09 PM »
You could get by with a relatively small subset of minerals I think.

Offline Ulzgoroth

• Captain
  • U
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2020, 11:17:13 PM »
You need Duranium, Corbomite, Boronide, Mercassium, Uridium, and Gallicite to build a geosurvey ship. (Technically you could put off the Corbomite until you build a cargo ship if you use survey fighters, but you still need it eventually.)

And Sorium to fuel it of course.

You need Neutronium to build shipyards.

Corundium to build mines.

Vendarite to build a cargo shuttle bay so that your cargo ship can interact with your offworld resource locations. (Maybe you could skip this if orbital mining goes directly to cargo bays?)

I think you could get off your homeworld without any Tritanium. Any other TN mineral missing and you're going nowhere, barring non-modeled conventional alternate techs for pre-TN extraplanetary resource recovery.

Offline UberWaffe

• Chief Petty Officer
  • U
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2020, 05:19:32 AM »
A global modifier for how common survey potential is would also be very nice.

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2020, 07:14:02 PM »
It would be cool to combine more resources with a modifier that slows research and speed. It would mean you spend a lot of time in Sol and distances remain large until the endgame. Just stuff to make space feel 'bigger' in general would be nice.

It would and it is and it's easily done by reducing the global research rate (or by restricting the number of labs per scientist -- I like to use '1') and editing the minerals on your homeworld and/or how system.

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2020, 07:17:35 PM »
If I were to pick at this and its mostly from an RP point of view I wish the other planets were more like Earth.  It seems unrealistic that Earth is so unique even in the Solar system.  I don't even mean that the minerals should be more abundant just more even in distribution, for instance I would like it if Mars, Venus, Mercury etc. always had all 11 minerals the quantities could be greater or smaller even just a few hundred of something. 

Then turn on SpaceMaster, go to the System View window, select Mercury (or Venus, or wherever) and click the "Add HW Minerals" button to give the selected body all eleven trans-newtonian elements in small(ish) amounts and reasonable accessabilities.

Offline Borealis4x (OP)

• Commodore
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2020, 07:58:41 PM »
It would be cool to combine more resources with a modifier that slows research and speed. It would mean you spend a lot of time in Sol and distances remain large until the endgame. Just stuff to make space feel 'bigger' in general would be nice.

It would and it is and it's easily done by reducing the global research rate (or by restricting the number of labs per scientist -- I like to use '1') and editing the minerals on your homeworld and/or how system.

Dumping a bunch of minerals on Sol isnt the same thing. You want more minerals spread out all over the galaxy. Surely, if you're ok with your starting planet getting loaded up with resources what wrong with having the spread around?

Offline SpikeTheHobbitMage

• Bug Moderators
  • Commodore
  • S
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2020, 12:04:53 AM »

Dumping a bunch of minerals on Sol isnt the same thing. You want more minerals spread out all over the galaxy. Surely, if you're ok with your starting planet getting loaded up with resources what wrong with having the spread around?
Spread it around also benefits NPRs, which manually adding to Sol can't do.