Author Topic: Update on Progress  (Read 252715 times)

Offline Kristover

• Gold Supporter
  • Lt. Commander
  • K
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
Re: Update on Progress
« Reply #465 on: January 21, 2020, 05:09:42 PM »
Like you, I came to Aurora later in the game, played a pair of games till they became untenable, and resolved to wait for the next version.  I think the thing which makes this particular anticipation feel longer is there isn't anything else like Aurora out there.  There are other science fiction 4Xs out there - I enjoyed Stellaris and Distant Worlds quite a bit - but none of them have the detail of this game and the ability to go down the rabbit hole with ship designs, command structures, and exploration (one of my favorite parts is jumping into a new system).  Rule the Waves and to a lesser degree CMNAO is the only things which come close so yeah, I'm really looking forward to this one.  BUT I'm also really mindful of the fact that I'm getting someone's private home brew project on the cheap and thus I far more tempered here than for different projects which I have paid money.  I have posted complaints on Paradox forums about game mechanics before, I wouldn't dream of it here.  Aurora 7.1 was the proof of concept that this project is real and the next iteration will be outstanding.  Someday I'll check in here and there will be a new C# version posted - that will be a happy day.  Like you, I hope it is sooner rather than later but I'm also prepared to wait for a build Steve thinks is solid enough to have us yammering monkeys putting it through its paces.

The following users thanked this post: bugkill

Offline the obelisk

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • t
« Reply #466 on: January 21, 2020, 07:03:36 PM »
From my understanding, the main advantage of getting more features in before release has been that it means time doesn't need to be spent coding in the way it worked in VB, on top of the new way it's going to work.  If Steve says the old diplomacy is already coded for C#, I don't see what advantage there would be to waiting until the new system is coded.

Offline bugkill

• Leading Rate
  • b
« Reply #467 on: January 21, 2020, 07:23:18 PM »
From my understanding, the main advantage of getting more features in before release has been that it means time doesn't need to be spent coding in the way it worked in VB, on top of the new way it's going to work.  If Steve says the old diplomacy is already coded for C#, I don't see what advantage there would be to waiting until the new system is coded.

I hear you, but I'm past the point of questioning things. It will get released when Steve is ready and I don't think there is anything we can do about it. He is the only one that knows if it is ready for release, so it is what it is. Who knows, we may end up getting it within a month or two.

The following users thanked this post: Deutschbag, V1D0

Offline Steve Walmsley (OP)

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #468 on: February 03, 2020, 02:47:56 PM »
Even now, I am still finding bugs :)

A race stores records of known alien ships in a collection with the ShipID as the key, because the ship ID is unique. Sounds logical. Except, once a ship is captured you can now detect it a second time and it seems to be a new ship, except it still has the same ID. Oops.

So ships that are captured will now be removed from alien ship records as if they were destroyed. I could try to be clever and update the new race details if detected a second time, but I would no doubt get myself in trouble with even more obscure bugs. Better to nuke it from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

The following users thanked this post: GeaXle, Garfunkel, Kristover, QuakeIV, kks, mpf0214, Jovus, xenoscepter, Tikigod, BigBacon

Starhero

« Reply #469 on: February 08, 2020, 01:44:12 AM »
Quote from: Steve Walmsley link=topic=10096. msg118507#msg118507 date=1580762876

So ships that are captured will now be removed from alien ship records as if they were destroyed.  I could try to be clever and update the new race details if detected a second time, but I would no doubt get myself in trouble with even more obscure bugs.  Better to nuke it from orbit.  It's the only way to be sure.

I completely concur.  Something that gives a more featured event could be developed at a later time maybe.  Sounds like a recursion issue, but I have been out of the coding game since 2012 so I am rusy as all hell.

Anywhoo. . . I am a habitual lurker here whom has been watching this thread and forum for a while.  Apparently we have a tentative release by next month? Are things still looking like that deadline might be met?

I don't wanna die of corrona virus before I get to play the greatest conceptualized Sci-fi genre game ever made.  I use to say jokingly that the world was gonna end before the recoding of aurora in C# is done.  I say it with love but i think this worlds about to pop.  Make sure to leave a timecapsule with your game on crystal storage (if you can afford it) before it all hits you too steve.  Least what survives or maybe some aliens that search the planet for artifacts might play you're game 1000+ years in the future.

I say this all jokingly but semi serious over CoV.  I don't have it or anything that I know of, tho the first case in USA was in my very county. . I have been a patient in the past at the very hospital he was at.  I fear for those that might contract it. . its no laughing matter.

I believe your game has more depth then DF, any highly modded MC, SE, Hazeron, and i think CDDA (oh the IRONY) might be the only competitor in depth. . . . but Apples and oranges for sure between A4X and CDDA.  I am probably forgetting tons of other games and especially more classically turned  based 4x games. . they still fall short of your game. . . your time scales are perfect for short term and long term planning. . . the things good leaders are actually good at. . its takes high intellect to play that way.  IMHO

Your game is proof that graphics matter not to those that love to play with there mind.

Offline Steve Walmsley (OP)

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #470 on: February 10, 2020, 05:08:19 AM »
I've decided not to run the Isle of Man campaign I was planning, due to a sudden attack of "I wonder if it would be possible to...". after I saw this map:
https://en.battlestarwikiclone.org/w/images/9/98/Quantum_Mechanix_The_Twelve_Colonies_of_Kobol.jpg

This (of course) immediately inspired to me to create a Battlestar Galactica theme campaign, assuming I could get the pre-requisite system design working. I plan to use Real Stars but start somewhere other than Sol. I haven't decided yet whether to leave Sol empty or add a human NPR on Earth :)

This won't be a 'rag-tag' fleet campaign, but rather than a 'normal' campaign starting in a quaternary system with twelve colonies and Battlestar-style ships. I might style the Swarm as Cylons though :)

The following users thanked this post: hubgbf, JustAnotherDude, Kiri, BigBacon

Offline Shuul

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • S
« Reply #471 on: February 10, 2020, 05:47:30 AM »
I might style the Swarm as Cylons though :)

Will we get a possibility to build smaller ships by larger ones? This is one of the features I always wanted as i wanted to stage Homeworld campaign with Mothership.

The following users thanked this post: vorpal+5, Alucard, JustAnotherDude, Alsadius, BigBacon

Offline JustAnotherDude

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • J
« Reply #472 on: February 10, 2020, 05:56:02 AM »
Love me some BSG, I'm excited to see what sort of designs you come up with.

Offline vorpal+5

• Captain
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
« Reply #473 on: February 10, 2020, 05:59:28 AM »
I might style the Swarm as Cylons though :)

Will we get a possibility to build smaller ships by larger ones? This is one of the features I always wanted as i wanted to stage Homeworld campaign with Mothership.

That would open up to a new universe of possibilities, factory ships. That's an advanced, yet often asked for concept in many 4X sci-fi games, being able to have races/empires which are purely ship-based, without ground population. Name them Cylon, Nomads, Pirates, etc. They are quite a staple of many books also.

The following users thanked this post: Demonides, BigBacon

Offline Tavik Toth

• Chief Petty Officer
  • T
« Reply #474 on: February 10, 2020, 06:54:01 AM »
Yeah, I'd love the ability to play a exodus/nomadic-style campaign.

Offline db48x

• Commodore
  • d
« Reply #475 on: February 10, 2020, 09:34:29 PM »
I've decided not to run the Isle of Man campaign I was planning, due to a sudden attack of "I wonder if it would be possible to...". after I saw this map:
https://en.battlestarwikiclone.org/w/images/9/98/Quantum_Mechanix_The_Twelve_Colonies_of_Kobol.jpg

Whoa, ambitious. Are you actually going to put the jump points around the barycenter of the system? That's 5000 AU away from either of the two pairs of stars…

Offline QuakeIV

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #476 on: February 11, 2020, 12:31:40 AM »
Well, no, because aurora doesn't have barycenters.  Or more specifically the barycenter is always locked to the 'parent' object.  Which is fine IMO, but certainly precludes certain interesting configurations.

Offline Profugo Barbatus

• Gold Supporter
  • Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • P
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #477 on: February 11, 2020, 12:37:41 AM »
I'd imagine that this will be a 'close enough' version where they all orbit Helios Alpha, and Helios Alpha is going to have the jump points. That being said, if he's recreating the Colonies, having one of the jump points far away from traditionally powerful players like Caprica and Scorpia could be interesting. Maybe use Helios Delta as the center instead, give the weaker worlds a paper territorial advantage.

Gah, now I want to run this campaign as a multi player race game. At least we're hopefully close to release, if Steve is putting dev time into nice to haves like system crafting to support a new campaign instead of putting out fires.

Offline db48x

• Commodore
  • d
« Reply #478 on: February 11, 2020, 01:55:50 AM »
Well, no, because aurora doesn't have barycenters.  Or more specifically the barycenter is always locked to the 'parent' object.  Which is fine IMO, but certainly precludes certain interesting configurations.

I took him to mean '"I wonder if it would be possible to..." add barycenters as an object in the orbital body database table.' A mere matter of deciding how to render them (just a visual marker floating in space instead of a big circle floating in space), how to name them (I don't think astronomers ever have, so make something up), and then dealing with whatever odd special cases have been lurking all these years simply because the center of a system has always been a star. How hard could it be, right? :D

If that's what he does, I think the system is a trap. With a few jump-points at some Lagrange points you can navigate between the four systems easily enough, but how would you ever get out? The first ships you send to another star system would have to have a range of at least 1.6 trillion km just to be able to get there and back. I guess you could stash your return fuel at the gate, but still.

Maybe if the jump points were spread out so that they can be anywhere in the system instead of clustered near the center? Then it would be less of a trap, because the two pairs of stars would swing closer to and farther from each jump point. Maybe you would be cut off for a hundred years when the distance went up, but you would at least know it was coming.

Offline QuakeIV

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #479 on: February 11, 2020, 02:28:57 AM »
In all seirousness kindof crazy stuff like that is a lot more practical with the system editor, I would generally approve of such things (though preferably as something he would add after his first release).