Author Topic: 4.5 Suggestions  (Read 1505 times)

Offline waresky (OP)

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
  • Alpine Mountaineer..ohh Yeah!
4.5 Suggestions
« on: October 28, 2009, 04:18:45 PM »
hi Steve

Mass Driver.

r very needed a sort of "selection" in WHAT send and HOW many send at destination,and selection between DIFFERENT target to send (what and how many)

WHAT= possibility to "closed" some minerals to prevent a sending out.
WHAT=what at who,selection between different targets.

R interesting?

Offline Cassaralla

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
Re: 4.5 Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2009, 01:42:24 PM »
I really like this idea.  Sometimes I would have loved a mass driver to be more selective and only send some minerals out.  eg keep the duranium and neutronium to build more mines, while sending the rest out to where it was needed.

Offline Charlie Beeler

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2009, 08:54:56 AM »
This is one that's been in the back of my mind for a while.  

For startup research points, a tool/screen/whatever...that lets the player allocate the projects and adjust them before commiting then to the race being built.  To do it right it will also need a the design, missile, and turret sub-tools as well.  Once the player has the desired startup tech base it can been be committed to the races tables.  Perhaps a seperate utility that can use the main game tables for source data, work in temporary files or tables and then commit to the game tables with a selective assignment to newly setup race.

I'm aware that this would be a lot of effect for such a limited use area of the game.  But I think for players that like fiddling with several games with different tech bases it would get used quite a bit.  

I've been doing this to a limited degree with manually built spreadsheets.  They work ok for the base tech research, but the race design items I don't have a handle on yet.
Amateurs study tactics, Professionals study logistics - paraphrase attributed to Gen Omar Bradley

Offline waresky (OP)

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2009, 09:09:34 AM »
this "Game" (ive atm 3 big Colony semi-indipendent from Ore point of view) and other one dozens Mining Colony to manage,am mean:THIS "GAME" arent easy to manage when expand in power and planets to manage,Ok?
ok..so,difficult are: Project on what,and where to be..Management become hard.So Steve,(damn my english r very limited for those..) i think WE r need some of.."table of projects undergoing".
For reminder missions..or same things..

Where put an Mining mission
Where prepare a pickup ore,whatever Squad r on Task upon that,and a more better management and "FINDING WHO-WHERE" table,system.

Am fear r a whole sub-program for manage this..but ALL game are as "task Manager" so..one more r welcome:)

Hope u understand what am mean..hope:)

Offline waresky (OP)

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
Re: 4.5 Suggestions-Fuel Warning
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2009, 09:45:26 AM »
Steve..

it's possible on TASK GROUP window's PLOTTED MOVE,gave a RED Warning if plotted overpass the Fuel Range of this Task Group?..
This features r very welcome,same as Massdriver selections and Research projects percentual designation also.

Ty.

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2009, 04:08:48 PM »
Quote from: "Charlie Beeler"
This is one that's been in the back of my mind for a while.  

For startup research points, a tool/screen/whatever...that lets the player allocate the projects and adjust them before commiting then to the race being built.  To do it right it will also need a the design, missile, and turret sub-tools as well.  Once the player has the desired startup tech base it can been be committed to the races tables.  Perhaps a seperate utility that can use the main game tables for source data, work in temporary files or tables and then commit to the game tables with a selective assignment to newly setup race.

I'm aware that this would be a lot of effect for such a limited use area of the game.  But I think for players that like fiddling with several games with different tech bases it would get used quite a bit.  

I've been doing this to a limited degree with manually built spreadsheets.  They work ok for the base tech research, but the race design items I don't have a handle on yet.

Personally I always ignore the research costs of starting research tech, using the SM-only button for 'Instant RST'.  The rest of my tech base planning I do in my head, along the lines of 'another level of this, check how many points are left, another level of that, check how many points are left,' etc.  Is there some reason using SM mode to set startng tech won't work for you?  I'd imagine that even in a hot-seat or PBeM game the SM would allow you to at least fix your 'mistakes'.  ("Take back one level of Mining and give me three more levels of Fuel Efficiency, please.  Then swap my curent engines for the new E5 versions.")

Actually, if you have working spreadsheets to handle (most of) it, would you mind sharing them with us?

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2009, 12:50:30 AM »
Quote from: "Father Tim"
Personally I always ignore the research costs of starting research tech, using the SM-only button for 'Instant RST'.  The rest of my tech base planning I do in my head, along the lines of 'another level of this, check how many points are left, another level of that, check how many points are left,' etc.  Is there some reason using SM mode to set startng tech won't work for you?  I'd imagine that even in a hot-seat or PBeM game the SM would allow you to at least fix your 'mistakes'.  ("Take back one level of Mining and give me three more levels of Fuel Efficiency, please.  Then swap my curent engines for the new E5 versions.")
This is pretty much exactly what I do. I use the starting RPs for all the background tech and specific systems such as Terraforming Modules. Once that is done, I create all my component designs and hit the Instant RST button. To avoid having to think of every possible component at this point, I have a 'house rule' :) that anything I design later using only my original starting tech is also instant. In essence, I am assuming I did design it pre-game using the starting tech. This makes life much easier, avoids having to create loads of component designs that I might never use and also doesn't give me any game advantage compared to actually designing all conceivable components pre-game.

Steve

Offline Charlie Beeler

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2009, 07:38:50 AM »
I don't exactly have working spreadsheets.  What I've been doing, when I intend to actually stay within the set research points, is build a sheet that rolls up what I plan to select.  This works ok for the base tech's but does not allow for designed components.  

More often than not I end up just doing what Steve outlined. :D

Steve,  how are you handling the NPR tech allocations?
Amateurs study tactics, Professionals study logistics - paraphrase attributed to Gen Omar Bradley

Offline waresky (OP)

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
Re: 4.5 Suggestions-TaskGroup windows
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2009, 01:56:29 PM »
Steve.
ive 35 Task groups 8mixed Civilian and military) in Earth system an in total around Earth Co-Dominium's Spac ive 167 TG...am really NEED some different selection between Militar groups and Civilians (Commercial)..
When u assemble one newly TG am need some of "Type TG group" so when u have put an Strike Squadroon in "Military group" AND in TG windows list am select "ONLY Military" i can show ONLY Military,,

R VERY USEFUL!

too many TG around..too breack my head..

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2009, 06:58:13 PM »
Quote from: "Charlie Beeler"
Steve,  how are you handling the NPR tech allocations?
I have organised the tech into groups and an NPR will select a tech group and then work its way through the systems in that group. Sometimes those will be optional. For example, if the NPR selects the engine tech group it will definitely create a queue for reactor tech, engine tech and fuel efficiency tech. It may then add engine platform (33%), power vs efficiency (33%), thermal reduction (25%), hyperdrive efficiency (20%), so it could research as few as three techs in the group and as manay as seven. At game start the NPR will be set some mandatory groups. Assuming starting tech points remain it will then select some of the optional ones. During a game, it will select the next group based on a weighted random selection.

Steve