Author Topic: Obituary / Hall of Fame  (Read 1320 times)

Offline Zangi (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • Z
Obituary / Hall of Fame
« on: February 28, 2010, 02:14:33 AM »
Alright, so this suggestion is more... a nice thing to have instead of something useful.

I want a place to look back at past officers and their history and medals, if any.  Well, mostly for officers who I give medals to really.  Don't mind an obituary for those who died from combat related stuff.  Would be cool if there is a killed by NPR officer were applicable... (that is if NPRs have officers as well).

But mostly, I just want to be able to look at past officers who received a medal.  Even if the database is exported to a little add-on datasheet instead of getting purged or whatever happens to them now.

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
Re: Obituary / Hall of Fame
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2010, 10:36:04 AM »
Quote from: "Zangi"
Alright, so this suggestion is more... a nice thing to have instead of something useful.

I want a place to look back at past officers and their history and medals, if any.  Well, mostly for officers who I give medals to really.  Don't mind an obituary for those who died from combat related stuff.  Would be cool if there is a killed by NPR officer were applicable... (that is if NPRs have officers as well).

But mostly, I just want to be able to look at past officers who received a medal.  Even if the database is exported to a little add-on datasheet instead of getting purged or whatever happens to them now.

This is actually the way it used to work - there was a "retired/dead officers" "rank" that let you look at officers who were departed.  It was taken out because it created a LOT of clutter after a few years.  It sounds like you're voting for a more judicious selection.

I personally would just like to be able to have it back as a "most recently departed from service" classification.  This would keep the dead/retired/riffed officers from the last econ update around in the same state the as the old version.  That way you could still look at who you'd just lost, without having the clutter of the entire history of retired officers.  I suppose there could be an "export" button there too.

John

PS - NEW PLAYERS:  Please do not start a new thread for suggestions - Steve has requested that suggestions go in the "official" thread (just like bugs).  This is discussed in the "Where to post" thread in the FAQ board.

Offline Zangi (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • Z
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2010, 01:18:22 PM »
Ah, locking new topics from being made here will help with that immensely.  
I've been lurking for quite awhile and something like that just doesn't even register in my memory.

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2010, 04:02:38 PM »
Quote from: "Zangi"
Ah, locking new topics from being made here will help with that immensely.  
That's not been done because it's not a hard and fast rule.  If there's a major suggestion that one expects will generate a lot of discussion, then it's appropriate for a new thread.  But minor suggestions (like this one) should just go in the official suggestions thread.
I've been lurking for quite awhile and something like that just doesn't even register in my memory.

The discussion took place last fall, IIRC, early in 4.7x - we were getting thread bloat in both Bugs and Suggestions and asked Steve what he preferred.  He said to use the "Official" threads because those are the ones he uses as his "filing cabinet" - before making a release he goes through those threads to see if he's missed anything he wants to deal with.  When the suggestions/bugs are scattered throughout other threads, he doesn't have a good way to remember where a particular suggestion/bug was, and so they get lost.  

After having dealt with it back then, it wasn't a big issue until the influx of new players in December/January - you'll notice that most of the new threads in Suggestions since then have been from such new players.  One of the mechanisms we put in place to deal with all the questions was the FAQ and tutorials - the "Where should I post?" FAQ is the one that captures the information here viewtopic.php?f=100&t=2043 (last post) that I just repeated above.

John