Author Topic: Conventional spaceships  (Read 1519 times)

Offline Baughn (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • B
Conventional spaceships
« on: April 23, 2010, 12:51:23 PM »
I've been trying to replicate the Voices of a Distant Star scenario in Aurora. That's mostly working fine, which is a nice testament to its flexibility, but there's one little glitch that would be nice to fix.

In VoaDS, trans-newtonian technology (well, their equivalent) was discovered in a dig site on Mars. A bunch of suspiciously-acting aliens then proceeded to kill most of the excavation team, most likely so they'd.. ah, but that would be a spoiler.

In any case, the implication is that they got there without trans-newtonian engines. Now, I could just ignore the early part and start the scenario off just afterwards - the martian colony was destroyed, after all - but it would be fun to have a traditional rocket engine that could get them there. Of course, it'd have to consider inertia and hofmann transfer orbits, so it's probably more trouble than it's worth - but if you were already pondering something like this, here's an extra reason to do so.

(To be honest, though.. trying this in Aurora is a sideline. The reason I found out about Aurora in the first place is that someone told me it looked similar in goals to the simulator I'm working on for the purpose. Aurora is much farther along, though. We'll see.)

Offline UnLimiTeD

• Vice Admiral
  • U
Re: Conventional spaceships
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2010, 10:39:59 AM »
Well, I guess it would require Gravity working on ships, momentum, etc., so you should probably just roleplay it.

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2010, 03:40:48 AM »
I have added Conventional Engine Technology to v5.20. A military engine based on this tech has 1 power, compared to 25 for a TN nuclear thermal engine. Of course, this doesn't take any Newtonian effects into consideration but it will serve as a reasonable pre-TN engine for roleplay purposes.

Steve

Offline UnLimiTeD

• Vice Admiral
  • U
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2010, 04:09:20 AM »
Now I have to wait for 5.2 before starting my campaign....^^

Offline waresky

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
  • Alpine Mountaineer..ohh Yeah!
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2010, 02:19:40 PM »
eheh..Steve hit us with every damned news.

Ty Steve