Author Topic: Every game....waiting in the next system..  (Read 2337 times)

Offline plasticpanzers (OP)

• Lt. Commander
  • p
Every game....waiting in the next system..
« on: October 04, 2017, 11:25:55 PM »
I have played about 9 games without a single one otherwise there is a hostile alien force in the next system.... always... does not matter if I
run a 50% difficulty or 100% they are always there.   no chance to even start building... in fact there is no logical reason during the time i
am ramping up they do not survey me and destroy me.... but they are always waiting...... kinda hard when it can take hours to set up a SM
game with some beginning ships and tech....   lately this has become an enormous waste of time unless I SM a huge fleet to beat these
aliens which seem to exist a hairs breath from Earth and never survey, just react.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2017, 11:43:38 PM by plasticpanzers »

Offline serger

• Commodore
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
Re: Every game....waiting in the next system..
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2017, 12:12:01 AM »
1) Set "NRP Generation (Player)" to zero at the start of your campaign. Explore, build an Empire you need, and then set "NRP Generation (Player)" to nonzero level to meet competitors.
or
2) Set "Number of computer-controlled Empires at game start" to nonzero level at the start of your campaign (and "Maximum Number of System" to a large number - 100 or 1000, or set "Use Known Star Systems"). Wait for guests.

First adjustment will regulate probability of NRP Generation at the moment, when your ship explore new system with a suitable planet. NRP empires will "grow" from nowhere as monosystem, concentrated empires. But your computer will run fast at the early and middle game.
Second adjustment will regulate number of NRP, generated at the start of your campaign. NRP empires will "grow" from the start, and you will meet their surveyours and young colonies. But your computer will run slower, as it need to compute all this self-replicating stuff.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2017, 12:14:35 AM by serger »

Offline plasticpanzers (OP)

• Lt. Commander
  • p
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2017, 12:14:40 AM »
thanks!  just started on at 15% difficulty and sure enough there they are..... i did not even bother to SM anything other than 12 scout ships to look into the next systems and let them die.   much appreciated tip.

Offline Detros

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2017, 02:35:51 AM »
If you start with any NPRs and you don't want them to wake up other enemies at first, set also "NRP Generation (NPR)" to 0 and untick "NPRs activate non-NRPs".

Offline Michael Sandy

• Commodore
  • M
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2017, 04:14:43 AM »
Also, I suggest that before you send your survey fleet into any system, build single ship jump engines for scout pinnaces.

If you have efficiency 5 jump tech, a 1 HS jump engine on a 250 ton scout pinnace is practical.  You will also want the half sized engineering section tech as well.

Or go slightly larger, with a 2 HS jump engine, on a 500 ton scout pinnace, which can generally allow for 3 HS for a sensor.  I suggest an EM sensor, to give your scout the best chance of detecting enemy ships without being spotted.

Make your scout pinnaces have a minimum of 30 billion km range, because you will want them to visit every planet in a system before sending in your survey fleet.

You will lose scout pinnaces that way, but their transit is unlikely to be detected, and therefore the enemy is unlikely to follow you back.

By developing a good scouting doctrine, you will be able to expand relatively safely on some jump point lines, as well as gain information about what level of tech and type you will need to overwhelm the forces you discover.

Offline Silvarelion

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • S
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2017, 07:15:26 AM »
It also sounds like you are being attacked by spoiler races, so if you uncheck the two default races at game start, you can expand, and bring them back in later.
Mistake Not My Current State Of Joshing Gentle Peevishness For The Awesome And Terrible Majesty Of The Towering Seas Of Ire That Are Themselves The Mere Milquetoast Shallows Fringing My Vast Oceans Of Wrath.
  ~The Mistake Not, Hydrogen Sonata, Iain Banks