Author Topic: The House of the House Rules - AKA how to ruin your own life and enjoy it  (Read 6348 times)

Offline ArcWolf

• Lieutenant
  • A
Re: The House of the House Rules - AKA how to ruin your own life and enjoy it
« Reply #30 on: September 28, 2021, 05:41:20 PM »
New house rule regarding box launchers for my current playthrough.

Since cruisers and pre-dreadnaughts often carried torpedos (and for the most part they were not reloadable) during the age of Steam & Steel, i'm going with a rule that ships are only allowed 10 MPS worth of Box launchers per 5K Tons.

A 10K tons ship can have 20 MSP, so 4x Size 5 launchers or 2x size 10 etc. But a 12k Ton ship is still limited to 20 MSP, only once you pass the next 5K threshold can you add more MSP worth of launchers.

This allows all ships to have the option of some missiles but avoids the Box spam where one 10K Ton ship can launch 50 missiles at once.

The following users thanked this post: Froggiest1982, idefelipe, skoormit, Sebmono

Offline Falryx

• Gold Supporter
  • Leading Rate
  • F
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
This is a bit of thread Necro - but most of these are house rules around 1-13.   Now that we've moved to 2-5-1 I'm curious if people's house rules have changed any.

My configuration settings and house rules tend to be an effort to try and even the playing field between me and NPRs as much as possible in order to increase the difficulty level of the game (and ruin my own life and enjoy it).   As a result I tend to:

- Difficulty modifier: 200+
- Hostility modifier: at least 25, often 50 or 100.
- limited research admin ON
- no terraforming OR terraforming only with facilities discovered on ancient ruins.  they may not be constructed (including orbital ones)
- no automines - except those discovered on ancient ruins.   they may not be constructed.
- either: no mass drivers OR mass drivers only if a certain technology unlocks them (or ancient ruins).  If I permit MDs they may only have an unpopulated colony as the destination.
- no box launchers on anything over 1000 tons. 

On terraforming, I don't think NPRs can terraform - so that means they have a reduced ability to colonize.   I feel like having a key capability that NPRs can't use dramatically affects the balance of power in a game.   So I ditch it.   While I could argue that NPRs can take over my colonies that I terraform, I feel like terraforming makes it possible for me to expand faster / with greater ease than NPRs.

Automines and MDs are more about just making my life harder for pain and enjoyment.   I waffle on whether or not to not use automines, because at some level there's balance built into the game already and realistically building dozens of ark modules is sometimes more pain than I want to put up with.   For MDs - I mostly don't feel like governments would happily fling life-ending masses of dense materials into the orbit of inhabited colonies on a regular basis.   One single mistake seems like it carries way too much risk.

The box launcher thing is because of a (perhaps outdated) perspective that NPRs don't handle them well in volumes.   So it feels like an unbalanced option for larger vessels.

Lastly, I've been experimenting with picking 1-2 weapons at the start (e. g.  carronades, gauss) and then using SM to remove all other weapon technology.   When I do that, I make a house rule that I can't research those initial levels - I must get them from NPR wrecks.   Once I have the basic technologies, then it's open game.   Sometimes I lock MDs behind railgun technology as a result.   This means I have to stick to a military doctrine/capability longer.   

Re-reading this thread, I'm likely to:

- reduce survey speed significantly (looks like there's a sweet spot of 5-15%).
- change low gravity tolerance for humans to 4/10ths of a g
- consider ArcWolf's 9/28/2021 update to his box launcher rule.  :)

(note not using decimals because of built-in anti-newbie code that makes all my decimals have spaces, alas)

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
In my current game, (shameless self-promotion: http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=13426.0) I have not reduced survey or research speeds, though limited research admin is on. However, the nations in play cannot research shields, jump theory or any TN-engines yet, nor can they build shipyards. These will all be story breakthroughs that will revolutionise the geopolitical and technological landscape of the campaign. Similarly, nobody is using automines or mass drivers or terraforming installations - yet. Their introduction will also be a 'story event'.

Of course, this is only feasible because I am playing multiple Earth factions against each other - house rules like these would make little sense in a normal game.

The following users thanked this post: Falryx

Offline subvironic

• Leading Rate
  • s
Weapon types other than the ones I picked at start need to be "discovered" or rather observed to be feasible.

Stated personality of leaders influences decisions -an impatient fleet commander might rush in, for example.