Author Topic: OpenOffice spreadsheet for easy missile design.  (Read 2697 times)

Offline Paul (OP)

• Chief Petty Officer
  • P
OpenOffice spreadsheet for easy missile design.
« on: January 30, 2010, 04:30:18 PM »
I guess this would be the right spot to post this. It's not a design per se, but it's a little OpenOffice spreadsheet that lets you plug in numbers to generate the optimal speed and agility ratings for your missile. If this would be better in another forum, feel free to move it.

I'm one of those nuts who just loves playing with numbers, so I whipped up an OpenOffice sheet a few days ago to help me get optimal missile designs. I figured other people might make use of it, so I added a few notes explaining what is what and uploaded it. You just plug in your technology stats, desired missile warhead, range, and size - as well as extra stuff if you're using armor. Then the sheet gives you the fuel capacity and warhead strengths required for the desired stats, as well as a chart showing a bunch of different agility levels and speed ratings using the remaining space. It also marks the highest to hit chance given a target speed, so you can easily see the optimal point if you want a really accurate missile. Or you can climb the chart a bit and get less accuracy for a bit more speed. It even shaves off a bit of free space if it won't further increase the missile speed, which you can dump back into the fuel capacity for a few extra kilometers. You can copy the cells and just paste the numbers into Aurora's missile design window, so it's really easy to move a design from the spreadsheet to a design in the game.

The sheet is protected with highlighted cells for data entry so you don't accidentally change something and mess it up, but it isn't passworded so you can unprotect it and fiddle with it if you like. I'm not sure if it would work with Excel or not, since I made it entirely in OpenOffice and don't have excel on this computer.

As an example, heres a high tech anti-missile design that I've been using that was generated using this sheet.

Code: [Select]
Missile Size: 1 MSP  (0.05 HS)     Warhead: 1    Armour: 0     Manoeuvre Rating: 64
Speed: 124000 km/s    Endurance: 1 minutes   Range: 4.8m km
Cost Per Missile: 3.6663
Chance to Hit: 1k km/s 7936%   3k km/s 2624%   5k km/s 1587.2%   10k km/s 793.6%
Materials Required:    0.25x Tritanium   3.1539x Gallicite   Fuel x6.75

Development Cost for Project: 367RP

-edit- Since drop.io apparently died, heres a new link to the download: http://www.mediafire.com/?dfkacmf55nvcwf9
« Last Edit: August 27, 2011, 10:18:27 PM by Paul »

Offline Jetman123

• Petty Officer
  • J
Re: OpenOffice spreadsheet for easy missile design.
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2010, 04:42:26 PM »
How exactly did you get a missile that small that has both an engine and a size 1 warhead? That should put it at AT LEAST size 2. Not size 1.

Offline Brian Neumann

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2010, 09:43:59 PM »
Quote from: "Jetman123"
How exactly did you get a missile that small that has both an engine and a size 1 warhead? That should put it at AT LEAST size 2. Not size 1.
He is using some fairly high end tech to do this.  I have designed a size one missile with 3 point warhead and a range of 10m km speed of 200k.  It all depends on how high you have pushed your tech.

Brian

Offline Paul (OP)

• Chief Petty Officer
  • P
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2010, 02:06:20 AM »
Even with absolute beginner tech you can make size 1 missiles with 1 warhead. Here are some examples:

Missile Size: 1 MSP  (0.05 HS)     Warhead: 1    Armour: 0     Manoeuvre Rating: 11
Speed: 11800 km/s    Endurance: 1 minutes   Range: 0.7m km
Cost Per Missile: 0.4713
Chance to Hit: 1k km/s 129.8%   3k km/s 33%   5k km/s 26%   10k km/s 13%
Materials Required:    0.25x Tritanium   Fuel x9.75

Development Cost for Project: 47RP

With a mere 14,000 research points (agility 32, warhead 3, the next powerplant tech, engine tech, and 2.0 engine for missiles) you can create a much better version:

Missile Size: 1 MSP  (0.05 HS)     Warhead: 1    Armour: 0     Manoeuvre Rating: 16
Speed: 19600 km/s    Endurance: 1 minutes   Range: 1.0m km
Cost Per Missile: 0.7263
Chance to Hit: 1k km/s 313.6%   3k km/s 96%   5k km/s 62.7%   10k km/s 31.4%
Materials Required:    0.25x Tritanium   0.2138x Gallicite   Fuel x13.25

Development Cost for Project: 73RP

Throw in another 8000 RP (warhead 4, agility 48) and you can increase your hit chances a good bit:

Missile Size: 1 MSP  (0.05 HS)     Warhead: 1    Armour: 0     Manoeuvre Rating: 23
Speed: 19400 km/s    Endurance: 1 minutes   Range: 0.9m km
Cost Per Missile: 0.8979
Chance to Hit: 1k km/s 446.2%   3k km/s 138%   5k km/s 89.2%   10k km/s 44.6%
Materials Required:    0.25x Tritanium   0.3855x Gallicite   Fuel x12.75

Development Cost for Project: 90RP

Even with low technology it's easy to make warhead 1 missiles with a decent speed, and they are essential for use as anti-missiles. You just have to enter the values in decimal form. The in-game missile parameters accepts numbers as low as ten thousandths (ie, 0.0001). With the way the program rounds, even very small decimals can alter the missile design. Thats why I made a OpenOffice sheet to generate the missile designs for me, since I felt like I was flying blind trying to come up with good missile designs on the fly by just typing in numbers. Much easier to just put in what I want and let the math give me the exact parameters I need down to the ten thousandth MSP.

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2010, 08:07:43 AM »
Quote from: "Jetman123"

It's not a "size 1" warhead, it's a warhead that does 1 point of damage.  The missile warhead line of tech increases the amount of damage a "size 1" warhead does - or more commonly, reduces the size of a warhead needed to do 1 point of damage.  With warhead strength 2, it only takes a "size one-half" warhead to do one point of damage, leaving the other half of a size 1 missile for engine, fuel, and maneuvering thrusters.

Offline waresky

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
  • Alpine Mountaineer..ohh Yeah!
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2010, 11:53:15 PM »
Agree on Faher reply.

For xample my Anti-Missile Missile have a 1 WH with 0.04 size for reach this power (sorry for my bad poor english.,some terms are far for my mind:DDD)

Offline AussieGuy

• Leading Rate
  • A
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2010, 04:18:03 AM »
Paul is i possible to put the spreadsheet into ms excel? Its because not many ppl have openoffice (like me)

Offline VariousArtist

• Chief Petty Officer
  • V
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2010, 08:04:54 AM »
Thx for the spreadsheet and thx for using OO - I dont know much peeps who have excel.

Offline Paul (OP)

• Chief Petty Officer
  • P
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2010, 02:02:17 AM »
Oh hey, I had actually intended to put up an xls version (thats why I mentioned I wasn't sure it would work in excel, since it was made in OO - it obviously won't work if its in the ods format haha).

Heres a link to a version saved as xls. It's pretty simple formulas, so it should work - but I don't have Excel to test it.

I also added the technology levels to both versions (just the value of that stat at each tech level) as a quick reference in case you wanted to design a missile for a tech you don't have yet or something.

-edit- Broken link removed. See link above (contains both versions, it's small anyway).
« Last Edit: August 27, 2011, 11:14:22 PM by Paul »

Offline AndonSage

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • A
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2010, 01:51:32 AM »
Paul,

Just wanted to say thanks for the spreadsheet! It actually helped me figure out how to use the Missile Design screen :oops:
"You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once." - Robert A. Heinlein
"Just because you do not take an interest in politics doesn't mean politics won't take an interest in you!" - Pericles (430 B.C.)
"A government big enough to give you everyt

Offline UnLimiTeD

• Vice Admiral
  • U
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2010, 05:51:30 AM »
It works fine in Excel, though, if you got the time, I would encourage you to rework the speed.
I tested it with different techlevels so far, grants marvelous Rockets, but I've frequently ended with Missile Designs that can hit their target at the specified speed with around 200%, but are slower than that!
Why would I need an ASM versus FACs that can hit them boggling 250% of the time, if it will never ever reach them if they actually travel that speed?

However, I appreciate that it's possible not that easy, as it's finished formulas, so I normally just ask for a missile with 3.5 size or the like and add a little engine afterwards.
Reaching medium tech levels, all missiles are also fast enough to hit the average battleship.

Offline Paul (OP)

• Chief Petty Officer
  • P
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2010, 07:03:24 PM »
It isn't designed to show you the best missile design and have you use the one at the arrow, it's designed to give you a list of options. The arrows are just to show you where the maximum hit percent chance is, but the actual design you use is up to you. If you want a faster missile just go up the list to a desired speed. It gives you the hit percentage at that speed and all the numbers for it. The little mark just shows you the maximum possible amount of maneuver you'll want to put in, since after that point your missiles get worse instead of better.

You just input the desired warhead, desired range, desired size. Then it shows a list of the possibilities with those numbers and using the rest of the missile space on speed and maneuverability. At the top of the list you devote all the space to speed giving you the fastest speed but poor accuracy, and down the list you begin sacrificing speed for accuracy by adding in a little bit to maneuverability. You just look through the list and pick the one you want.

At high maneuverability tech levels (especially if your engine tech is falling behind) you can get missiles that, while having a higher hit chance, are slower than your target and thus would never have a chance to hit them unless they were flying toward you - this just means you have to use your judgment on which design to actually pick. I haven't tested to be sure, but I believe missiles like that actually would work if the target was coming straight at you (and have a higher hit chance, since it maneuvers better to get in the way of the target coming at you), so they are viable missiles - just not optimal if you need them to be able to hit targets that are moving away at higher speeds. In those cases you would need to sacrifice hit chance to get faster missiles.

If the target is going to be running from you at high speeds your effective range would also be seriously diminished since your missile is effectively traveling at the speed difference (say target is 99000, missile is 100000, relative to the target the missile is only going 1000) and yet using fuel for the full speed. So if your target is 99000 and your missile is 100000 your missile's effective range is actually 1/100th of the listed value, since it will have to travel 100x the distance to close on the target while the target flees. It will also have ample opportunity to shoot down the missiles. I've never found myself in a position to be fighting an enemy with ships that moved nearly as fast or faster than my missiles, though.