Author Topic: EM and TH Sensors  (Read 1406 times)

Offline Froggiest1982 (OP)

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • F
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
EM and TH Sensors
« on: July 20, 2020, 11:34:22 PM »
Hi,

what about a new component that works similar to Engines for design.

The new component is called Passive Sensor it merges EM and TH sensors which will still have their research tree.

So you can design one passive sensor with both EM or TH,  one only and of course also decide the tech level.

Where is the novelty?

You can then have Military or Commercial sensor where commercial are larger and Military ones are smaller. Maybe commercial could also have a small penalty range to avoid exploits.

Thoughts?

Offline Rich.h

• Captain
  • R
Re: EM and TH Sensors
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2020, 03:21:07 AM »
Is there not already a size 1 commercial sensor? I'm a little confused how this cannot already be achieved using the component designs to fit the specs you mentioned

Offline Froggiest1982 (OP)

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • F
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2020, 04:41:59 AM »
Is there not already a size 1 commercial sensor? I'm a little confused how this cannot already be achieved using the component designs to fit the specs you mentioned

it's only limited to sensor 1 and u still need both.

You could AWACS, Stations (no DTS on rocks or buoys), Diplomatic Ships with better and Safer Range.

Offline Rich.h

• Captain
  • R
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2020, 09:29:20 AM »

it's only limited to sensor 1 and u still need both.

You could AWACS, Stations (no DTS on rocks or buoys), Diplomatic Ships with better and Safer Range.

I think the whole point of the size 1 sensors was so that it acted as a game mechanic to limit commerical sensor ranges. Otherwise a combination passive sensor simply loops around that limitation. This way at least we are forced to make strategic choices with regards to size of diplomatic ships and so on.

Offline Jorgen_CAB

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • J
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2020, 10:02:31 AM »
I think there is a perfectly valid reason why commercial designs are limited to a size 1 sensor module. In c# also size 1 module are far more effective than they were in VB6 as well.

I really don't think a commercial diplomacy ship need better sensors. They are not suppose to spy on the enemy anyway.

I generally make my diplomacy ship military with better passives and even ELINT modules. As long as they have a commercial drive they should not pose much of a threat to the NPR anyway. As far as I know it is the drive that impact the enemy reaction and not whether the ship in question is military from a maintenance perspective or not.

In other situations you can easily have a commercial station with a simple maintenance module and a military sensor station together to have a long lasting sensor outpost in deep space.