Author Topic: Question about colored rings around system in Starfire Assistant (I think)  (Read 5334 times)

Offline Strega (OP)

• Petty Officer
  • S
Periodically I re-read the classic Rigellian Diary and update the map with whatever new tidbits I spot that I didn't fix before.  (I'm the guy who patched together all the various sector maps to create the "Master Map" you can find on the old Yahoo site.)  Steve answered some of my questions regarding the map at one point but I still have a few.

What do blue, yellow, and pink colored rings around systems indicate?  I thought at first the yellow might be an undiscovered closed warp point but not all of the systems on the map with yellow rings have closed warp points mentioned in the diary.  That still seems the most likely, though.  I have no idea what blue and pink rings mean.

Offline Paul M

• Vice Admiral
  • P
Yellow indicates that you suspect the system has a closed warp point in it.  It may or may not have one, but you think it does.

Blue indicates that there is a colonizable habitable world in the system.

Pink inidicates that there are un-explored WP's in that system.

Offline Strega (OP)

• Petty Officer
  • S
Yellow indicates that you suspect the system has a closed warp point in it.  It may or may not have one, but you think it does.

Thank you.  I think I have the map about finished, finally.  It's only taken years, heh.

Offline Strega (OP)

• Petty Officer
  • S

Oop.  I meant dark blue ring.  Light blue is uncolonized habitable world, I think.

Offline Paul M

• Vice Admiral
  • P
The dark blue ring may be indicating the system has un-surveyed habitable worlds.  That would be my best guess.  I'm afraid that I don't have that option turned on and I don't have any race I control that has that to check.  Hopefully someone can give you a definitive answer...Starslayer?

The white ring indicates a DSB-Xr array is present in the system (just to remove that question).  I thought somewhere there was a colour code explaination but I could not find it looking in the program just now.

Offline Strega (OP)

• Petty Officer
  • S
The dark blue ring may be indicating the system has un-surveyed habitable worlds.  That would be my best guess.  I'm afraid that I don't have that option turned on and I don't have any race I control that has that to check.  Hopefully someone can give you a definitive answer...Starslayer?

The white ring indicates a DSB-Xr array is present in the system (just to remove that question).  I thought somewhere there was a colour code explaination but I could not find it looking in the program just now.

Light Blue -- Uncolonized benign or hostile world (typically superterrestrial)
Light Green -- Sensor buoy network
Red -- Grav survey not completed
Pink -- Unexplored known WPs (which is also what pink dots mean, oddly enough)
Yellow -- Suspected or known but unlocated closed WP
Dark Blue -- ?

The first four I think I got from Steve back when, and the info on yellow rings from you.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2013, 12:43:50 PM by Strega »

Offline Edsel

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • E
Lt. Blue is an unsurveyed habitable world (T or ST)
Dark Blue is an uncolonized, but surveyed, habitable world (T or ST)

So blue (of any shade) means that there is habitable world in the system.  Lt Blue means it hasn't been surveyed.  Dark blue means that there are no PU or PTU present on the surveyed, habitable world.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2013, 07:07:24 PM by Edsel »

Offline Paul M

• Vice Admiral
  • P
I'm sorry Edsel but you have that backwards.  The drakes have 3 systems with light blue rings and in each system is an un-colonized but surveyed T world.  I'm all but certain that the dark blue ring indicates an unsurveyed T or ST world.  I can't recall seeing it though in game but it may be that I don't have that selected in my options.

White rings indicate the presence of DSB-Xr...I have no idea what a light green ring is...unless this is monitor settings playing a role but on my monitor it is clearly white.

Offline Strega (OP)

• Petty Officer
  • S
I'm sorry Edsel but you have that backwards.  The drakes have 3 systems with light blue rings and in each system is an un-colonized but surveyed T world.  I'm all but certain that the dark blue ring indicates an unsurveyed T or ST world.  I can't recall seeing it though in game but it may be that I don't have that selected in my options.

White rings indicate the presence of DSB-Xr...I have no idea what a light green ring is...unless this is monitor settings playing a role but on my monitor it is clearly white.

Judging by the order in which rings appear on the map I think you are right.  In Tokushima Sector, Yakumo is light blue and the two systems past it have dark blue rings.  Similarly, Kimitsu in the Tagamiko Sector had its population wiped out by the Bugs and has definitely been surveyed, so it has a light blue ring.  There are other examples, too.  I've updated the Master Map to account for this and will re-upload it to the group.

Offline Paul M

• Vice Admiral
  • P
I just confirmed it last night while the Shanirian's were surveying.  Two "compatible" worlds in a system and when I activated that option in the menu a dark blue ring showed up.  "compatible" means they are unsurveyed T or ST worlds.  I just normally don't use that option for display, so sorry for taking so long to sort it out.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 03:38:58 AM by Paul M »

Offline Starslayer_D

• Lt. Commander
  • S
Thick colored rings are either by sector or by race. Light green. Don't remmeber out of the top of my head, but I have some on my map too.
In doupt, just click on every option of 'show on map' and watch if the ring disapears or not. :) That's what I'd be doing if I had a SA here right now.

Offline Edsel

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • E

Yes, I think you are right.