Author Topic: Survey vessels and passive sensors  (Read 1368 times)

Offline martinuzz (OP)

• Lieutenant
  • High Dwarf
Survey vessels and passive sensors
« on: August 19, 2010, 06:42:55 AM »
When reading the tutorials, and looking at some ship examples at the wiki, I notice that people include Thermal and EM passive sensors to their geo-/gravsurvey designs.
Will they work without those?

Offline Chairman

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • C
Re: Survey vessels and passive sensors
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2010, 06:46:13 AM »
You dont have to have passive sensors, but you realy want to have it to get some warning about hostile aliens, unless you want to have active senors on all the time, but then you will telegraf your posistion to every ship in the system...

Offline martinuzz (OP)

• Lieutenant
  • High Dwarf
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2010, 07:20:26 AM »
Okay. I turned off Invaders, and started a Conventional start. I guess it's safe enough still, in Sol system, to design a first generation 'blind' geosurvey vessel without any sensors, except the geosurvey sensor.

My second generation design will be made to survey other systems, once I discover them. Then I will think about either incorporating passive sensors in the design, or designing a picket scout.

Offline Brian Neumann

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2010, 07:49:48 AM »
Quote from: "martinuzz"
When reading the tutorials, and looking at some ship examples at the wiki, I notice that people include Thermal and EM passive sensors to their geo-/gravsurvey designs.
Will they work without those?
There are two reasons to put these systems on survey ships.  The first is to detect an unknown ship approaching while you still have a chance to avoid it.  The second is to detect a large colony on a planet.

The Thermal sensor will detect planetary populations and ships moving around.  The EM sensor will detect any active sensor emissions near you, and let you know what their likely detection range is against your size ship.  It will also tend to detect large planetary populations from farther out than the thermal will detect them.  Take a look at your home planets thermal and em signature to get the idea of how big the new planet's population is compared to your population.

Neither of these functions are needed when you are preforming a survey, they just help keep your ships from being blown up without warning.

Brian

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2010, 12:17:27 PM »
Okay. I turned off Invaders, and started a Conventional start. I guess it's safe enough still, in Sol system, to design a first generation 'blind' geosurvey vessel without any sensors, except the geosurvey sensor.

My second generation design will be made to survey other systems, once I discover them. Then I will think about either incorporating passive sensors in the design, or designing a picket scout.

You can't actually get a 'blind' ship - even if you don't put sensors on it, every ship gets a 'free' half-strength Thermal sensor.

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2010, 01:08:18 PM »
Quote from: "Father Tim"

You can't actually get a 'blind' ship - even if you don't put sensors on it, every ship gets a 'free' half-strength Thermal sensor.

Actually, they get a strength-1 passive scanner (EM and thermal). It doesn't scale with EM/Thermal tech. Of course, those inherent scanners are very short-sighted.