Author Topic: how to load cargo?  (Read 2611 times)

Offline Mikeck (OP)

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • M
how to load cargo?
« on: January 17, 2010, 11:12:09 PM »
Ok.  I built a cargo ship with 30,000 ton capacity.  I also established a colony on mercury so that I could mine it.  I also have hundreds of auto mines already on earth but built a few more to be sure.  Now, I opened the task force window and ordered the CS Sol (the name of my cargo ship) to go to earth (where it is already as it was built in the ship yard) and pick up automines.  I let 30 days go by yet on the "Ships" tab it still shows 30,000/30,0000 cargo room available.  When I go to the Task force tab...it still shows the orders to pick up 4 auto mines.

My question is why is it not picking them up.  what am i missing? is there an "execute order button?  the ship has a commander assigned. What I wanted to do (and I found a thread n this so i thought I was doing ti correctly) was trasnport a mine to mercury so my colony could start mining.  i am researching Mass drivers so one I have them, I want to build one at earth and one at mercury....correct?

Offline Hawkeye

• Silver Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
Re: how to load cargo?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2010, 11:19:40 PM »
Does your freighter have any cargo handling systems?  A cargo hold with no means to load it won´t do you much good ;)
Ralph Hoenig, Germany

Offline AtomikKrab

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • A
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2010, 11:28:38 PM »
actually it doesn't need cargo systems, it needs a commercial spaceport, or cargo systems, one or the other, both help each other even more though

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2010, 11:38:04 PM »
Quote from: "Mikeck"
Ok.  I built a cargo ship with 30,000 ton capacity.  I also established a colony on mercury so that I could mine it.  I also have hundreds of auto mines already on earth but built a few more to be sure.  Now, I opened the task force window and ordered the CS Sol (the name of my cargo ship) to go to earth (where it is already as it was built in the ship yard) and pick up automines.  I let 30 days go by yet on the "Ships" tab it still shows 30,000/30,0000 cargo room available.  When I go to the Task force tab...it still shows the orders to pick up 4 auto mines.

My question is why is it not picking them up.  what am i missing? is there an "execute order button?  the ship has a commander assigned. What I wanted to do (and I found a thread n this so i thought I was doing ti correctly) was trasnport a mine to mercury so my colony could start mining.  i am researching Mass drivers so one I have them, I want to build one at earth and one at mercury....correct?

Is there anything in your "plotted move" window on the F12 screen?  It should say "Load Automated Mine Earth" (or something close to that) as the very first thing in the window.  If not, you probably didn't double-click on the order or hit the "Add Move" button.  Does your Task Group think it's at Earth?  Look at the 3rd tab, off to the right at "Set task group position" - it should say "Sol" and "Earth" (NOT "no system body selected"!).  What's your TG speed - is it at its max?  Have you seen any windows pop up?  Did you do the 30 days in one big "advance by 30 days" button push? (I would do no more than a 5-day update.)  Are you 100% sure you actually have automated mines on Earth (and not just regular mines)?

Everything you described in your mail sounds like it's correct - the above is essentially flailing around in hopes you might say "aha!!".  You might try moving something else, like Duranium - getting one thing to work might help you figure out what's wrong with the other.

BTW, generally speaking you'll want to put an integral multiple of 5 holds into cargo ships, since that is exactly the size of a standard facility (like auto-mine).  If you put 6 holds in, then you'll end up picking up fractional facilities all over the place....

John

PS - Please post new user questions in The Academy in the new user's section.

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2010, 11:39:36 PM »
Quote from: "AtomikKrab"
actually it doesn't need cargo systems, it needs a commercial spaceport, or cargo systems, one or the other, both help each other even more though

Cargo ships can load/unload without CHS or Spaceport.  CHS and Spaceport act as speed multipliers.

John

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2010, 11:40:45 PM »
Oh yeah, forgot one - what does the "Time and Distance" field on the F12 screen say?

John

Offline Mikeck (OP)

• M
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2010, 07:51:09 AM »
I'll have to check all this when I get a chance after work.  I never clicked "add move" so maybe thats it.  I do have 2 cargo handling systems and I remember that there are actually numbers in teh time to distance block.  I am assuming I need to hit "add move" so I will give it a go.

I am definitly sure I have the mines...about 150 of them.

Sorry about the post location....I posted from my balckberry and thought I was in the "academy" section. :oops:

anyway, thanks for the help guys...I'll give it a go.

Offline Mikeck (OP)

• M
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2010, 09:27:14 PM »
I'm showing plotted moves as load automines.  time and disance show zero ETA and the third tab shows position at Sol/earth.  I have 162 autmated mines so not sure what the problem is.  Plotted moves show "pick up automine at earth" then "enter orbit mercury".

Offline Mikeck (OP)

• M
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2010, 09:33:58 PM »
Ok...I think I got it. I had to detach the ship from the Shipyard task force first

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2010, 09:38:39 PM »
I'm showing plotted moves as load automines.  time and disance show zero ETA and the third tab shows position at Sol/earth.  I have 162 autmated mines so not sure what the problem is.  Plotted moves show "pick up automine at earth" then "enter orbit mercury".
Um, you do have cargo holds on your cargo ships, right?  5 is a good number.  And you've done a time advance since looking at the stuff you just sent (5 seconds should be enough)?  And you're sure the cargo holds are empty and not full, right (although that would probably give you and error)?

All I can think of is to clear the orders and give them again - and only give the load order - don't screw around trying to unload until you get it to take the "load".  Also, just doing a 5second update should tell you if it's working - the time message should change to "arrived at destination, 2 days to completion" (or something like that) and the cargo should show up in the ship.

I'm at the point of being stumped here - there's probably something blindingly obvious that you're doing wrong, but I can't imagine what it is.

John

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2010, 09:39:48 PM »
Ok...I think I got it. I had to detach the ship from the Shipyard task force first

OK - so that would be the blindingly obvious thing.  Except it should have been giving you an error message "TG Shipyard is unable to complete its orders because it has Shipyard tasks".

John

Offline rmcrowe

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2010, 05:38:39 PM »
Is there any chance that the system is being confused by the name "Sol" used both for the local star AND the ship being loaded and wanted to move?

robert

Offline welchbloke

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2010, 12:47:16 AM »
Quote from: "rmcrowe"
Is there any chance that the system is being confused by the name "Sol" used both for the local star AND the ship being loaded and wanted to move?

robert
I don't think so; the items should be completely different as far as Aurora is concerned.  They are completely different data types. Of course, my progarmming experience is a out of date and I may have just expelled a load of hot air and wasted a whole bunch of electrons.....
Welchbloke

Offline rmcrowe

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2010, 12:14:11 PM »
My programming experience is also not completely current, but I HAVE seen such apparent "Idiocy" cause problems in the past.  Agree that the data types should be different, but sometimes things . . . .happen.

robert