Author Topic: Conquering a Population  (Read 3197 times)

Offline WHCnelson (OP)

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • W
Conquering a Population
« on: April 14, 2011, 10:19:01 AM »
   Ok,

I have come into contact with a High Tech Race and have I believe defeated all of its
available Mobile units.  I have also destroyed its shipyard and destroyed its available ground
units.  I have also just landed a population on the planet and quite a few Ground units with
others being off loaded.   BUT, how do I offer the planetary population a chance to surrender
or show that I have conquered them?   I have seen nothing on this site to help or even in the
game...  Please help! :-* ??? 8) :P

Offline Shadow

• Commander
  • Race Maker Race Maker : Creating race images
Re: Conquering a Population
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2011, 11:11:16 AM »
There's an option to initiate a ground attack against an enemy population on the Ground Units tab of your population on that planet. Once all defenders have been vanquished, the alien sector will fall under your control.

Keep in mind each round of ground combat, once initiated, takes five days.

Offline welchbloke

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2011, 04:50:29 PM »
There's an option to initiate a ground attack against an enemy population on the Ground Units tab of your population on
 planet. Once all defenders have been vanquished, the alien sector will fall under your control.

Keep in mind each round of ground combat, once initiated, takes five days.

Note even after the enemy ground forces are destroyed you will also need sufficient forces to force the population to surrender. For a large planet this can be 6 or more divisions.
Welchbloke

Offline Shadow

• Commander
  • Race Maker Race Maker : Creating race images
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2011, 07:02:44 PM »
6 divisions? You mean like... 96 battalions? :o

Offline welchbloke

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2011, 01:47:08 AM »
6 divisions? You mean like... 96 battalions? :o
Yes I mean 96 battalions :) The planet was conquered with about 3 Divisions; it took over 6 to subdue the populace. The planet had a population of about 10 billion.
Welchbloke

Offline WHCnelson (OP)

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • W
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2011, 03:44:35 AM »
 Ok...  I had landed only sixteen battalions of which one was a brigade HQ and a Division HQ.  Also, the planetary system was 4 jumps away....   I got fed up and loaded a saved database from before the encounter...   Darn...  I should have waited...   Thanks for the Information....  Now, how can I determine the size of an alien population from the Thermal and EM sign????   Thanks.... 8) ::) :o

Offline Charlie Beeler

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2011, 07:31:42 AM »
Ok...  I had landed only sixteen battalions of which one was a brigade HQ and a Division HQ.  Also, the planetary system was 4 jumps away....   I got fed up and loaded a saved database from before the encounter...   Darn...  I should have waited...   Thanks for the Information....  Now, how can I determine the size of an alien population from the Thermal and EM sign????   Thanks.... 8) ::) :o

Compare the signatures to your home world.  It's not purfect, but it does give you a baseline.
Amateurs study tactics, Professionals study logistics - paraphrase attributed to Gen Omar Bradley

Offline welchbloke

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2011, 12:43:24 PM »
Also, once the enemy units have been destroyed you can see how much ground strength you require to occupy the planet on the Ground Units Tab of the F2 screen.  Near the top there is a field for Occupation (Actual/Required).
Welchbloke

Offline voknaar

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2011, 08:00:51 PM »
Also, once the enemy units have been destroyed you can see how much ground strength you require to occupy the planet on the Ground Units Tab of the F2 screen.  Near the top there is a field for Occupation (Actual/Required).

Dumb question since i've not taken over any planet populations yet - is the occupation requirement rating based on offence or defence capability or is it both?

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2011, 09:23:54 PM »
Dumb question since i've not taken over any planet populations yet - is the occupation requirement rating based on offence or defence capability or is it both?
Defence, IIRC.  It's what the Garrison battalions are really good at....

John