Author Topic: Firing missiles at a way-point  (Read 1508 times)

Offline blue emu (OP)

• Commander
  • b
Firing missiles at a way-point
« on: May 30, 2011, 11:15:14 PM »
Do you need a Missile Fire Control that reaches as far as the way-point, in order to fire a missile at that way-point?

Suppose I had a M-FC with a 21 m-km range, and a missile that can run out to 100 m-km. How far away can I place a way-point and fire at it?

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
Re: Firing missiles at a way-point
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2011, 12:28:31 AM »
Do you need a Missile Fire Control that reaches as far as the way-point, in order to fire a missile at that way-point?
No.
Suppose I had a M-FC with a 21 m-km range, and a missile that can run out to 100 m-km. How far away can I place a way-point and fire at it?
As far as you want.  Of course the missile will run out of fuel at 100 MKm.  And if you don't have some sort of sensor on it, it will self-destruct when it reaches the waypoint.

John

PS - General request:  Please ask new-user questions like this and some of the other recent Mechanics posts in The Academy.  Steve sometimes posts game changes in Mechanics, and they're easier to notice/keep track of if there aren't a lot of small threads in it....  Thanks!

Offline blue emu (OP)

• Commander
  • b
Re: Firing missiles at a way-point
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2011, 12:40:06 AM »
Thanks for the answers, and yes, I will post any further questions in the Academy.