Author Topic: Potentialy Habbitable Planet found.  (Read 8047 times)

Offline xeryon

• Captain
Re: Potentialy Habbitable Planet found.
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2014, 03:13:20 PM »
I'm going to be 'that guy'.  Do you have a link to the article that doesn't go to fox?

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/wireStory/astronomers-spot-earth-planet-23366064

There we go, for the not steeply politically conservative.   ;D
« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 03:15:49 PM by xeryon »

Offline GenJeFT (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2014, 09:27:34 PM »
I'm going to be 'that guy'.  Do you have a link to the article that doesn't go to fox?

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/wireStory/astronomers-spot-earth-planet-23366064

There we go, for the not steeply politically conservative.   ;D

Both stories are from the same exact Associated Press article and are nearly identical stories with only minor differences towards the end (an AP story which as usual you cant actually read yourself).

Fox did a better job providing some details such as exactly who Quintana is unlike ABC (Fox gave me enough information to do a Google search and confirm who she was, ABC did not). Same thing with other people who were mentioned such as Lisa Kaltenegger and David Charbonneau who both commented for the story and neither are actually on the research team (a bit of information the ABC story left out).

So as someone who once worked in military intelligence I like the extra details that the Fox news story provides compared to the ABC story. Which is why I linked Fox as compared to ABC. I like details, something ABC misses consistently.

But you may be able to answer a question of mine.

Why do people feel it necessary to ignore a news outlet based entirely on perceived bias regardless of the fact that some 85%+ of all news comes from the same source in the end (The Associated Press)?

Offline xeryon

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2014, 08:15:33 AM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roger_Ailes

This man.  He is, by definition, everything that is wrong with American politics.  Fox news itself is a benign entity in which Ailes personal beliefs color and taint the majority of the content.  There is no news reported on Fox of which he does not personally approve.  The content you view is filtered entirely through his lens.

I do not ascribe to Ailes beliefs and even though the content may be similar on apolitical articles such as this I choose to give my business to organizations that at least attempt to give a show of being less biased.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 08:20:32 AM by xeryon »

Offline GenJeFT (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2014, 12:48:04 PM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roger_Ailes

This man.  He is, by definition, everything that is wrong with American politics.  Fox news itself is a benign entity in which Ailes personal beliefs color and taint the majority of the content.  There is no news reported on Fox of which he does not personally approve.  The content you view is filtered entirely through his lens.

I do not ascribe to Ailes beliefs and even though the content may be similar on apolitical articles such as this I choose to give my business to organizations that at least attempt to give a show of being less biased.

There are far more dangerous problems then Roger Ailes in current American Politics. Besides, ALL media is biased regardless of editor, or owner, or writer. I don't view bias as reason enough to ignore something, just look at it knowing its bias and seek to use other sources to confirm and verify.

I am more concerned that the vast majorities of news stories come from a single source (AP) no matter the network then I am concerned by any one networks bias. Those who control the source of information control events, it does not matter the bias of the reporting agencies down the line.

Offline xeryon

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2014, 02:45:20 PM »
Not just the bias.  I don't stand for the things he does so I choose to take my business elsewhere.  Not that I stand for whatever ABC/NBC/CBS/CNN stand for but their leadership are not as vocal or outspoken in their personal beliefs.  Those same personal beliefs do not permeate through the reporting so transparently.

For a real kick I love reading AJ.  It provides an excellent perspective from outside the American media filter.

lol, a negative karma for voicing an opinion.  How quaint. <3
« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 02:46:58 PM by xeryon »

Offline sublight

• Pulsar 4x Dev
  • Captain
  • s
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2014, 04:53:00 PM »
Nah, the ding was for being the first person to pull a that guy and derail a Space News topic into a political commentary.

While debating the media influence on politics and vise versa is interesting, it is vastly different than a debate on how far 'habitability' has been stretched when referring to a planet with no known atmospheric data.

Offline xeryon

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2014, 06:36:18 PM »
I love the internet.

Offline boggo2300

• Registered
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2014, 05:20:40 PM »
on how far 'habitability' has been stretched when referring to a planet with no known atmospheric data.

The new definition of Habitable is,  we are pretty sure it actually physically exists!
didn't you get the memo?

It's good news for all the asteroid miner wannabes!

Matt
The boggosity of the universe tends towards maximum.

Offline xeryon

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2014, 06:52:43 AM »
My expectation of habitable was always: can I physically stand on the surface and can the temperature range be measured on a common residential thermometer?

Offline MWadwell

• Commander
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2014, 10:11:05 AM »
My expectation of habitable was always: can I physically stand on the surface and can the temperature range be measured on a common residential thermometer?

Heh - then there are parts of Australia that are inhabitable.....  ;D

Later,
Matt

Offline xeryon

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2014, 10:23:15 AM »
What I was thinking of is below.  If you live in the USA you will be well acquainted with our wonky temperature measurement system.  If the average temperature of a body falls somewhere on this device I think it is fair to assume that somewhere on that body there is a regional temperature variation that would make the body truly 'habitable'  Just like central AUS has regions that would be difficult to live in there are areas of the landmass that are more favorable.  Hell, Curiosity measured the summer daytime temps on Mars to be about 22c.  It gets a bit cold at night and winter but 22c is certainly workable.

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2014, 01:41:22 PM »
I'll be in Las Vegas in July - not sure that is truly habitable without the 'infrastructure' on the Strip :)

Offline Sematary

• Commodore
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2014, 01:51:09 PM »
I'll be in Las Vegas in July - not sure that is truly habitable without the 'infrastructure' on the Strip :)
I will be there about two months before you and am nervous about the temperature then.

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2014, 02:15:05 PM »
I will be there about two months before you and am nervous about the temperature then.

I've been quite often in May/June but only once in July. I broke out in a sweat just walking across the road from the Venetian to the Mirage at 3am :)

Average daily high in July is about 105F (41C), with the highest recorded at 117F (47C) and its still around 80 (26C) at night.

Actually. that's higher than Aurora has for the top end of human temperature range. I think I'll stay indoors :)

« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 02:26:21 PM by Steve Walmsley »