Author Topic: Has anyone tried NEBULOUS: Fleet Command?  (Read 1916 times)

Offline db48x (OP)

• Commodore
  • d
Has anyone tried NEBULOUS: Fleet Command?
« on: February 03, 2023, 04:31:07 AM »
It’s still in early access, but I just saw a video demonstrating the missile designer:
and now I’m thinking that I have to give it a try. Looks like it supports multi–stage missiles (at least two stages, at any rate), and significant customization of the engine design.

Steve, if you’re looking for UI inspiration the thruster triangle in this video looks quite nice; it gives the user a way to adjust the tradeoffs between speed, endurance, and maneuverability with just a simple click and drag.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/887570/NEBULOUS_Fleet_Command/

The following users thanked this post: Gabrote42

Offline TheBawkHawk

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • T
Re: Has anyone tried NEBULOUS: Fleet Command?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2023, 11:12:22 AM »
Yeah, I've played Nebulous on and off for a few months now. It is extremely fun, and does a great job of allowing for customization of your ships. Well over half of my time is in the ship and missile designers. The combat is tense and tons of fun, and rewards clever use of terrain, electronic warfare, and strategic thinking. My favourite strategy thus far has been a wolfpack of gun and torpedo armed light cruisers, waiting in ambush outside of capture points. If a small ship comes in to try and capture, we poke around the asteroid and blast it with guns. If it's a bigger ship, we make a show of running away, bait it around the corner of the asteroid into point blank range, and unload a volley of torpedoes into it. 50% of the time, it works every time.

Plus, the game is surprisingly good looking. Shell and missile impacts, railgun rounds piercing through ships and continuing on through the other side, and the bridge lights shutting off and red emergency lights slowly flickering on when the reactor is damaged. I wasn't expecting it to be as immersive as it is.

I'd 100% recommend giving it a shot. The general balance of the game has obvious parallels to Aurora which should lessen at least some of the learning curve. Missiles are (generally) king, but you can make a strong showing with guns if you remember to bring enough ewar and point defense.

The following users thanked this post: db48x, Nori

Offline Nori

• Bug Moderators
  • Lt. Commander
  • Discord Username: Nori Silverrage
  • Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter : Support the forums with a Bronze subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2023, 01:37:45 PM »
It's been on my wish list for quite a while now, but I haven't bought it mainly because I was waiting for it to get further along. Looks super fun though.

Offline Snoman314

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2023, 05:07:03 PM »
It's been on my wish list for quite a while now, but I haven't bought it mainly because I was waiting for it to get further along. Looks super fun though.

It's far enough along to be a lot of fun. Mainly they're just adding different factions and campaign mode now. The ship design and combat side of the game is basically done. Plus there's already way more modded factions on the Workshop than are planned for the final version of the game.