Author Topic: Stellar Spectral Generation Distribution  (Read 1241 times)

Offline amschnei (OP)

• Petty Officer
  • a
Stellar Spectral Generation Distribution
« on: May 29, 2020, 11:34:51 PM »
In starting a number of both Real Stars and Random Stars games I've noticed a fairly significant difference: Randomly generated stars seem to choose a spectral class roughly at random, generating stars that are on average pretty Sol-like. In contrast, Real Stars games you are much more likely to run across smaller stars, because they are much more common in the galaxy. As an example, in the default Imperium of Man save in the 1.11.0 install, there are 29 known systems with an average JP survey cost of 242. I went with spacemaster and generated a similarly sized Random Stars galaxy and got 382... very close to Sol's 400.

This ends up being pretty significant. Sol-type systems are generally more valuable, but slower to explore, while the smaller systems are the opposite. The Random stars games tend toward slower expansion but with more options in any given direction, while Real Stars is faster with development focusing on a fewer number of valuable systems. I like the rate of expansion and development of the Real Stars games, but Random is fun too.

Anyway, I don't know how realistic it is, but it might be cool to have a modifier for "average star mass" in the game window, where you could change that as you see fit.

The following users thanked this post: skoormit

Offline serger

• Commodore
  • Silver Supporter Silver Supporter : Support the forums with a Silver subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
Re: Stellar Spectral Generation Distribution
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2020, 01:25:19 AM »
I'd propose an opton like "Realistic stellar seed", that gives not only realistic average mass of star, but also realistic distribution curve of those masses (there is quite universal law, that in stochastic universe there always will be more smaller material objects, than bigger ones - that is what distributing masses of stars: they are grouping near minimal mass of thermonuclear reaction, that is making them stars, not wandering gas giants).

Now we have an option to enrich systems, using "Minimal Comets per System" option, but, if this function is the same as in VB - there will be disbelievable quantity of systems, populated by this minimal quantity of comets exactly. In addition, there is no option to hide names of cometes, so in quantities they tend to litter Tactical Window significantly.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2020, 01:28:17 AM by serger »

Offline Second Foundationer

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
Re: Stellar Spectral Generation Distribution
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2020, 03:11:38 AM »
I like these ideas very much, both of them. Or more generally: more optional setup control over random system generation parameters.

The majority of my universes tend to lean towards hard science to the degree that's feasible within the "trans-Newtonian" framework; so the "realistic seed" as you described it appeals to me without thinking. But, Aurora is -fiction at least as much as science-, and at times I wish to head for, say, a core map full of old stars and black holes. Or a universe of binaries. Or a vast desert of near-empty small-star systems where any system with a decent rock in it becomes immensely valuable and managing logistics become a central challenge. To have such things generated randomly by Aurora controlled through a few parameters in starting options would be a galactic treat.

The following users thanked this post: serger, skoormit