Author Topic: Civi Complexes  (Read 2328 times)

Offline NoonStar (OP)

• Petty Officer
  • N
Civi Complexes
« on: March 14, 2011, 02:07:38 PM »
Im 42 years into this scenario. Expanded my civilian economy by 20% four or five times. I dont have a single civilian mining complex yet. The shipping line, which I have subsidized  about nine times hasnt built anything yet either. I have built two commercial space ports, just in case that has something to do with it.

In a previous game, in half the time and with half the Wealth, I had about a dozen civilian mining complexes and they built several ships with less subsidization. I can not think of any other variable, so what am I missing to get my civilians to do work. Or is it truly that random?

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
Re: Civi Complexes
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2011, 02:15:36 PM »
Im 42 years into this scenario. Expanded my civilian economy by 20% four or five times. I dont have a single civilian mining complex yet. The shipping line, which I have subsidized  about nine times hasnt built anything yet either. I have built two commercial space ports, just in case that has something to do with it.

In a previous game, in half the time and with half the Wealth, I had about a dozen civilian mining complexes and they built several ships with less subsidization. I can not think of any other variable, so what am I missing to get my civilians to do work. Or is it truly that random?

A couple of suggestions. You need to have designed some freighters and colony ships so the civs can build them. You need somewhere for the civilian shipping lines to go to, so no ships will be built until you have a second colony, even if it has just a tiny population. Civ Mining complexes will only appear if there is a system body with sufficient minerals that has no existing colony and that body is in a system where you have a pop of at least ten million.

The expand civ economy tech boosts your tax income from populations. It has no effect on shipping lines or mining complexes. Commercial space ports decrease loading times but don't affect the chance of civilian shipping lines building ships.

Steve

Offline voknaar

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2011, 02:16:23 PM »
If the Civs dont have Commercial Designs for them to build then they wont do anything. Also their motivation is based on supply and demand. The wiki has a section on it. Which i must brush up on myself. http://aurorawiki.pentarch.org/index.php?title=Trade_System

Offline NoonStar (OP)

• Petty Officer
  • N
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2011, 02:25:33 PM »
Hmm. Thanks, to both of you. I'll see what comes about. Deleting previous colonies [created when I sent my geoteams out to survey]. Maybe that will encourage them. I have a colony ship and freighter design ready, have for a while.

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2011, 11:20:34 PM »
Hmm. Thanks, to both of you. I'll see what comes about. Deleting previous colonies [created when I sent my geoteams out to survey]. Maybe that will encourage them. I have a colony ship and freighter design ready, have for a while.

You need to put either population or infrastructure on a second world in order to start the "space age".  I usually drop 100 infrastructure on Mars.

John

Offline Herode

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2011, 12:02:46 PM »
More questions about civilian complexes. 

In my (first) game, a civilian mining complex gracefully appeared on Titan about a year ago, a short time after I created a colony on Mars.  I've left it untouched so far - with the exception of a civilian commander assigned to the moon - and I keep an eye on the F2 screen for this location. 

There are many things I don't understand so here are a few questions :

1 - On the Populations Locations list (panel on the left), the complex is described as :
Tital - Civilian mining colony / mining complex : 1. 
What does that "1" refers to ? 1 complex ? Administration level 1 ? Something else ?

2 - On the summary tab, I see no population, no wealth created, no infrastructure but in the "Installation" column : one Deep Space Tracking Station and one Civilian Mining Complex.  Do I have something to build here : throw some population, bring some factories or minerals, or anything ? Or should I leave things going their own way ?

Offline Thiosk

• Commodore
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2011, 01:01:52 PM »
Civ complexes are totally stand alone-- if you don't want to set up shop on titan, you are free to let them do their thing.  You'll see the wealth created in the wealth tab.  Also, you can click the civ. industry tab and have them send the minerals to earth-- for a pretty penny. 

And the number is indeed the administration level of the governator needed to run the colony.  

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2011, 06:44:48 PM »
No, in this case the "1" refers to the number of Civilian Mining Complexes currently built on Titan.  When the civilians get around to building another CMC it might be somewhere else, or it might be on Titan, in which case the number will change to "2" and the civilian colony will generate twice as many minerals or twice as much wealth.

Offline Herode

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2011, 11:50:04 AM »
Is there any way to know how much mineral has been gathered from civilian mining complexes ? In my current game, civilians have set a Mining Colony on Asteroid #171. On the F2 window, Civilian/Ind status tab, Civilian Mining Complexes Status panel, I've checked the purchase Mineral Output option. But I have no idea of the amount of minerals purchased this way.

Also, I don't know where they are delivered. They do not show in the (empty) stockpile of Asteroid #171. Are they sent to Earth ? Elsewhere ? Nowhere ? Everywhere ? Softwhere ?
« Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 12:04:43 PM by Herode »

Offline Thibaut

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • T
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2011, 11:54:31 AM »
you need to have a mass driver on the planet you want the minerals delivered, and then choose it as the destination  on the mining planet "mining" tab (top right)

Offline Thiosk

• Commodore
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2011, 05:10:41 PM »
A key thing to do with buying civ output is to check their accessibility.  You pay per complex-- not per mineral.  So if the world is producing every mineral at high accessibility-- you are getting a really good return on your money.  If the complex is producing something you have a shortage of at good accessibility, its still worth it.

If they're hitting 15k duranium and 3k mercassium, or some such crap, its better to just let them send you "thank you" checks every month.

Offline orfeusz

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2011, 04:59:43 AM »
Quote from: Thibaut link=topic=3351. msg38175#msg38175 date=1313168071
you need to have a mass driver on the planet you want the minerals delivered, and then choose it as the destination  on the mining planet "mining" tab (top right)

Will the civilians build their own mass driver to send me minerals?
Only in Death does Duty End

Offline Thiosk

• Commodore
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2011, 05:22:51 AM »
Yes, they take care of the mass driving themselves.

Offline Cassaralla

« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2011, 06:15:51 AM »
You still have to set the mass driver target on the CMC though, or the minerals just start piling up on the CMC colony doing very little except gather dust.